Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Its the holidays

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 02:02 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='1078483' date='Dec 22 2009, 05:49 PM
The exact time happened to me about 5 years ago when I recommended an associate at my former firm to my colleagues at my current firm. I did it because the associate had done good work and called me asking for a job. Then, to my absolute shock and embarassment, not only did she not show up to the interview that she had scheduled with my firm but then refused to return any of the firm's (or my) phone calls and emails asking what happened. Frankly, at first, I was scared to death that something had happened to her (like being run over by a bus or something).

The result of that incident was that, for several years, my firm never seriously considers anyone else who I referred to the firm as a potential employee. I cannot fathom why anyone would behave in such a manner but what can I say? MOST people are nuts.
Fixed
Old 12-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by melimel' post='1078164' date='Dec 22 2009, 09:23 AM
drivers.. thats whats pissing me off lately.. some of them just cant drive and im pleasant, i let people go, merge, pass, etc.. but somehow they just get on my damm nerves..

p.s i agree with brett, enough of this happy holiday offending people crap. i say merry christmas. i dont think there is anything wrong with it. if you dont celebrate christmas then happy whatever.. and happy new year as well.. i hope everyones safe again, smart and enjoying time with family and friends. take cabs at christmas parties, dont drive drunk and dont mess up your e60!

most of all i cant wait for the presents-heehee i THINK i know what im getting, but im not sure i got my kids great stuff and thats all that matters to me.
+1. Bad drivers. Pshhh .

On the taconic I HATE that your waiting to merge and the douchebags in the right lane don't change there lane when they CLEARLY see you waiting to merge. Oh I also hate the mall these days horrible place to be.

Also Merry Christmas v_therussian. What are you getting this year? Have you been a bad boy ?
Old 12-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

I'm stressing over work. Just way too many projects going on. I have to do the ones with deadlines and the ones without deadlines slip and slip. I was heading to WV on Wednesday but now with a change of plans to visit my other sister in Raleigh, I'll probably work a 1/2 day on Wed to finish some things. I still have to wrap presents but at least I finished shopping.

Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-22-2009, 05:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='1078493' date='Dec 22 2009, 06:02 PM
Fixed
You are learning many of life's inalterable truths Marc.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:13 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='1078594' date='Dec 22 2009, 09:05 PM
You are learning many of life's inalterable truths Marc.
Haha thanks Scott. Too bad it's true...
Old 12-23-2009, 01:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by melimel' post='1078164
So far pretty crappy holidays, wife's grandfather died last week, my youngest son is sick, one friends brother died and another friends grandfather is on life support. Aside from that everything is peachy . It's like good news bad news, the day after my wifes grandfather died we found out our offer was accepted on a new house, and I got a healthy bonus in my paycheck.
John, sounds like the severity of good and bad is growing in proportion - which is usually the case in life... anyway, what I wanted to say to you, my friend is: hang in there! You've got a great attitude, from what I gather, so just hang in there. And we are always here

Happy Holidays to you and yours, Brother!

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='1078483
+1. Bad drivers. Pshhh .

On the taconic I HATE that your waiting to merge and the douchebags in the right lane don't change there lane when they CLEARLY see you waiting to merge. Oh I also hate the mall these days horrible place to be.

Also Merry Christmas v_therussian. What are you getting this year? Have you been a bad boy ?
LOL Merry Christmas, Bro!
(i'll post some pics of what I'm getting a bit later - it is actually going to be installed in January of the New Year)

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='1078617' date='Dec 22 2009, 10:13 PM
Haha thanks Scott. Too bad it's true...
Stay 16 dude, just stay 16.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='1078773
Stay 16 dude, just stay 16.
Ah if only we could stop the hands of time. If so, I'd be about 25. But the choice is simple: get older or die. I'll take getting older. And I'm sure that Marc, who seems wiser than his years, will too.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='1078773
Ah if only we could stop the hands of time. If so, I'd be about 25. But the choice is simple: get older or die. I'll take getting older. And I'm sure that Marc, who seems wiser than his years, will too.
Yea...I wish I could be 8 again...playing with Legos and not a worry in the world
Old 12-23-2009, 06:58 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='1078773' date='Dec 23 2009, 02:04 AM
John, sounds like the severity of good and bad is growing in proportion - which is usually the case in life... anyway, what I wanted to say to you, my friend is: hang in there! You've got a great attitude, from what I gather, so just hang in there. And we are always here

Happy Holidays to you and yours, Brother!

Thanks Vlad, yeah, this was a weird year but it will level out - it always does, gotta figure any year that goes by and no airliners hit my office building is a good year right?

Have a great holiday and take care of yourself.
Old 12-23-2009, 10:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by sdg1871' post='1078792' date='Dec 23 2009, 06:40 AM
If you want to rise into senior management, you have to delegate some of your responsibilities that you had when you were a grunt. The trick is picking the right people to delegate to (and firing or not working with those who don't measure up -- I don't believe in letting underperformers slide) and supervising them close enough so that they don't mess things up (and get you in trouble) but not so close that they feel that you are breathing down their neck. It's a balancing act. Not every subordinate is a douchebag and some subordinates are terrific.
I've not been in management. I'm technical and don't want management headaches anyways.
But my father mentioned you should find each subordinates' strengths, and work through their weaknesses. Plus encouraging team work and common goals gets the overall job accomplished.

Quick Reply: Its the holidays