Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Its all about RESPECT

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 12:07 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by pjinca' post='1009417' date='Sep 16 2009, 04:44 PM
Well morality and tax bracket have nothing to do with one another. However, I do think it's possible to be in that industry and still be a moral person. Morality is perception, there are societal morals (like she shouldn't be doing her thing i a pre-school) but a person's own morals are just that - their own.

This thread is about respect, not morality, so yes everyone deserves some respect until they prove themselves unworthy. Regardless of gender, age, or ethnicity there are a-holes in every group.
If you have not yet, read Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged and in general her views on what morality is. It is quite eye-opening and as applicable today as could be.

Thanks for all your input, PJ, I knew before this thread that you're a respectful person. Obviously, I have mad respect for that.
Old 09-17-2009, 12:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by flyingpuck' post='1009423' date='Sep 16 2009, 04:48 PM
At first meeting, respect should be given, to EVERYONE! Otherwise by prejudging a person ("50% of the world's population), we are once again assuming superiority! As for "Unconditional" I never said that, I am a proponent of respect first, and then varying degrees of respect afterward based upon personal opinion of the person (the way 99.9% of us do it anyway). The distinction being that at first glance, knowing nothing about the person in question, respect should be total and ONLY then altered for personal tastes!
I would go even further and say that respect should never be taken away. People make mistakes - some make pretty HUGE ones. We would all benefit if everyone in the world would recognize the difference between evil and mistakes (which is, of course, malicious intent). But taking this to an extreme could net some very ridiculous conclusions, which is why a human being has an analytical ability and can determine where the line is and how not to cross it (again, I come back to this line).

BTW Puck, thanks for your input!
Old 09-17-2009, 12:15 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mrfva' post='1009448
+ 1,000,000 Amen Franklin, Amen!
Any chance you guys could NOT post whore on this thread, please?

BTW I thought you two would have something more constructive to add to this topic...
Old 09-17-2009, 12:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='1009964' date='Sep 17 2009, 11:12 AM
I would go even further and say that respect should never be taken away. People make mistakes - some make pretty HUGE ones. We would all benefit if everyone in the world would recognize the difference between evil and mistakes (which is, of course, malicious intent). But taking this to an extreme could net some very ridiculous conclusions, which is why a human being has an analytical ability and can determine where the line is and how not to cross it (again, I come back to this line).

BTW Puck, thanks for your input!
Very valid point you got there and i agree with you that we should make a difference between evil and mistakes, but i can' t have respect for a person that murdered 5 people (=evil) and certainly if i had respect for him/her, that respect would certainly be taken away. Don't you agree? If yes then we can certainly say that generally evil & wrong = disrespect.

Also what happens if the human persist in the mistakes, which either makes him/her dumb or... ? Scenario: you own a company and an employee made a mistake which affects the company quite a bit, and you explain it to the employee showing good grace, not following others who might very quickly have fired the employee. Then you expect for this to not happen anymore, and expect the employee to pay more attention to such details out of respect towards him/herself and you as a business owner, instead the employee does the same mistake again, and again... so can you still have respect for his/her inability to not commit the same mistake again and again?

Just curious...
Old 09-17-2009, 01:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='1009988' date='Sep 17 2009, 04:44 AM
Very valid point you got there and i agree with you that we should make a difference between evil and mistakes, but i can' t have respect for a person that murdered 5 people (=evil) and certainly if i had respect for him/her, that respect would certainly be taken away. Don't you agree? If yes then we can certainly say that generally evil & wrong = disrespect.

Also what happens if the human persist in the mistakes, which either makes him/her dumb or... ? Scenario: you own a company and an employee made a mistake which affects the company quite a bit, and you explain it to the employee showing good grace, not following others who might very quickly have fired the employee. Then you expect for this to not happen anymore, and expect the employee to pay more attention to such details out of respect towards him/herself and you as a business owner, instead the employee does the same mistake again, and again... so can you still have respect for his/her inability to not commit the same mistake again and again?

Just curious...
As for the person who murdered 5 people (and I'm assuming that you are talking about a completely malicious type of murder), we are talking about a very sick individual, who obviously has lost all sight of moral equilibrium. Most likely, this person is so far gone, that there is no bringing him/her back and my personal opinion in such a situation would be that he/she needs to be "put down like a rabid dog". However, this does not necessitate any disrespect EVEN towards this kind of person. If we were talking about a child rapist, then yes - no respect AND I would probably be looking to take some kind of action to make sure such a person does not roam this Earth freely long enough to commit another hideous act. But stooping down to the level of a gruesome killer to stop a killer still nets the same or larger quantity of killers, therefore, whatever action I'd take, I'd make sure it was a civilized one.

As for a guy who makes mistakes at work and would not learn... well, do you know what the clinical definition of a down syndrome is? Continuous inability to learn from own mistakes. I'm paraphrasing, but the point is: if you have an employee, who continually makes the same mistakes, has been made aware of it repeatedly and yet still fails to address the issue, this individual is not fit for that position. He/she need to either be demoted or let go - otherwise, his "down syndrome" is "infecting" you, because you continue to allow this person to work for you. Which means you are allowing him/her to continue to make these mistakes thereby affecting your business. Unless this person was disrespectful though, there is no reason at all to disrespect him/her. I've fired plenty of people and I've never been disrespectful to any, even though most tried to sneak an insult. I always understood that their disappointment is with themselves and not me, therefore, their quarrels were not with me, so there was no reason for me to get personal. I wished all of them luck and never spoke of anyone unfairly under any circumstances.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:22 AM
Contributors

Nice V but those are basic skills that most human should know right? Note that I removed gender.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:34 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by amigo525' post='1010016' date='Sep 17 2009, 07:22 AM
Nice V but those are basic skills that most human should know right? Note that I removed gender.
I originally posted this thread to provide a "hint" for some people in regards to respecting women, but yes, you are right - the more I think about this subject matter, the more I realize that gender should be withdrawn from this discussion. And of course, one would think that this is basic, but in reality, it is pretty rare nowadays - which takes it from "basic" and puts it into an "endangered" category - at least, in my book.

Good to hear from you, btw
Old 09-17-2009, 03:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='1010020' date='Sep 17 2009, 05:34 AM
I originally posted this thread to provide a "hint" for some people in regards to respecting women, but yes, you are right - the more I think about this subject matter, the more I realize that gender should be withdrawn from this discussion. And of course, one would think that this is basic, but in reality, it is pretty rare nowadays - which takes it from "basic" and puts it into an "endangered" category - at least, in my book.

Good to hear from you, btw
Old 09-17-2009, 04:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian' post='1009994' date='Sep 17 2009, 12:31 PM
As for the person who murdered 5 people (and I'm assuming that you are talking about a completely malicious type of murder), we are talking about a very sick individual, who obviously has lost all sight of moral equilibrium. Most likely, this person is so far gone, that there is no bringing him/her back and my personal opinion in such a situation would be that he/she needs to be "put down like a rabid dog". However, this does not necessitate any disrespect EVEN towards this kind of person. If we were talking about a child rapist, then yes - no respect AND I would probably be looking to take some kind of action to make sure such a person does not roam this Earth freely long enough to commit another hideous act. But stooping down to the level of a gruesome killer to stop a killer still nets the same or larger quantity of killers, therefore, whatever action I'd take, I'd make sure it was a civilized one.

As for a guy who makes mistakes at work and would not learn... well, do you know what the clinical definition of a down syndrome is? Continuous inability to learn from own mistakes. I'm paraphrasing, but the point is: if you have an employee, who continually makes the same mistakes, has been made aware of it repeatedly and yet still fails to address the issue, this individual is not fit for that position. He/she need to either be demoted or let go - otherwise, his "down syndrome" is "infecting" you, because you continue to allow this person to work for you. Which means you are allowing him/her to continue to make these mistakes thereby affecting your business. Unless this person was disrespectful though, there is no reason at all to disrespect him/her. I've fired plenty of people and I've never been disrespectful to any, even though most tried to sneak an insult. I always understood that their disappointment is with themselves and not me, therefore, their quarrels were not with me, so there was no reason for me to get personal. I wished all of them luck and never spoke of anyone unfairly under any circumstances.
Ok V i'll admit that my second example wasn't the best example, as it comes out i was thinking of a more complicated situation. Although good point on the down syndrome.

However i can't agree with you from one basic standpoint and this comes from the definition of "RESPECT":

Respect is esteem for, or a sense of the worth or excellence of, a person, a personal quality, ability, or a manifestation of a personal quality
So respect is esteem for a person, persona quality, ability or manifestation of a person quality. As you said, and in a way contradicts your own belief, you can't judge a person until you know enough about him or her. I said it contradicts your own belief since you also militated for unconditional respect, but by definition you cannot truly respect however someone until you know at least some basic information of that someone, to trigger that "attitude of admiration or esteem".

IMHO you should have started with the very definition of the word. Unconditional respect to each and every human being is not something i agree with, which seems illogical too. That's not to say i'm disrespectful, rude or anything else. I'm or i'm trying to be polite and that's pretty much it. Those are only social relationships, socialization, and respect for that matter doesn't belong here, unless it some ghetto slang which is not true "attitude of admiration or esteem".

Just my opinion.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:02 PM
Members

My Ride: V

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='1009941
BluedMan, are you sure you've thought through what you've said? Here's a discrepancy I just cannot get past: in a world where - by your own admission - morality and respect are in short supply, you are advocating not giving respect to anyone you (or I, or any other human being) decide is not worthy of it? This is the problem, not the solution!

Yes, not everyone deserves respect, but what we all fail to recognize when thinking about it, is that respect for others is something that stems from self-respect. How much respect do you have for yourself? My guess is - not too much, since you allow yourself to fall low enough to advocate a virtual public stoning, basically. If my statement insulted you, I am sorry - it was NOT my intention. I hope that you can find what my intention was however, and from now on - at least on MY thread - be respectful.

No hard feelings, ok.
No hard feelings at all dude. We are just debating, one of the best things about social interaction; you can help to change others' views, your own, as well as strengthening already felt opinions. I hope you don't feel i was disrepectful. Although I don't really understand about the lacking "self-respect" aspect of your argument.. as well as a "virtual public stoning". Agreeing with the flow doesn't always work man, things will never change like that. I was just defending others' right to not respect such woman and to explain that unconditional respect isn't realistic. And besides that, I don't really think the few guys who disagreed with me "stoned" me haha

Yes, there is a discrepancy; but thats the conundrum that I constantly try to unravel about human interations and our society's well being in relation to our moral decay..

I think BetterMakeWay helps to explain our major conflicting views below.. its about the difference between lack of respect vs. disrespecting. I am not condoning being disrespectful or rude, that is what I purposely try to avoid doing in all situations. I think you are understanding my "not respecting" someone to mean "disrespecting" or being a mean person. Calling a girl a bitch or a c*nt is straight up rude, and even calling loose girl a slut or a skank to her face is in bad taste (even if it may be true). I do however respect the right for others to judge people, to determine if they are deserving of respect or not. It is up to the individual to decide if they want to be viewed as a rude person or not. BTW offending others isnt the worst thing in the world (might not be tasteful).. even though its beginning to seem like that is the major hot button for our over-sensative country.

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='1010048' date='Sep 17 2009, 07:58 AM
IMHO you should have started with the very definition of the word. Unconditional respect to each and every human being is not something i agree with, which seems illogical too. That's not to say i'm disrespectful, rude or anything else. I'm or i'm trying to be polite and that's pretty much it. Those are only social relationships, socialization, and respect for that matter doesn't belong here, unless it some ghetto slang which is not true "attitude of admiration or esteem".

Just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Its all about RESPECT