Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

iPhone 4 has major antenna design flaw

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 06:09 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

Yes. I'm 4 steps ahead of you.

Originally Posted by Krozi
Did you seriously plan that sh*t out??!
Old 06-30-2010, 06:10 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acuteperformance
Yes. I'm 4 steps ahead of you.
Bastard
Old 07-02-2010, 09:37 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10490572.stm

hahahahah

"Apple says the problem relates to an error on how the signal bars are displayed, rather than the signal itself."
Old 07-02-2010, 09:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

http://news.bbc.co.u...gy/10490572.stm

hahahahah

"Apple says the problem relates to an error on how the signal bars are displayed, rather than the signal itself."
If you read the release plus the Anandtech article posted here yesterday, the issue is the phone thinks the signal has dropped when in some cases it hasn't... That's what will be fixed. In some cases, the phone over-reports signal strength, again a software fix. As I predicted last week.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10490572.stm

hahahahah

Hahaha bullshit, explain why my calls drop then?!
Old 07-02-2010, 10:53 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by swajames
If you read the release plus the Anandtech article posted here yesterday, the issue is the phone thinks the signal has dropped when in some cases it hasn't... That's what will be fixed. In some cases, the phone over-reports signal strength, again a software fix. As I predicted last week.
Dude, you're clearly a blinded loyal Apple fan. This "fix" does nothing to fix the reception issue. Apple is basically shifting the blame to AT&T's network. This easily does not explain why my freaking 3GS gets better reception than the 4 when held the same way.

What they are doing is "fixing" the user perception. Come on now, if their calculating algorithm was this out of wack, this same uproar would've occurred with iPhone, iPhone 3G, and the GS. This is clearly a hardware flaw, and Apple is being a dick about it. They even recommend putting a bumper to remedy the situation! Wake up man.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Dude, you're clearly a blinded loyal Apple fan. This "fix" does nothing to fix the reception issue. Apple is basically shifting the blame to AT&T's network. This easily does not explain why my freaking 3GS gets better reception than the 4 when held the same way.

What they are doing is "fixing" the user perception. Come on now, if their calculating algorithm was this out of wack, this same uproar would've occurred with iPhone, iPhone 3G, and the GS. This is clearly a hardware flaw, and Apple is being a dick about it. They even recommend putting a bumper to remedy the situation! Wake up man.
No kidding. So a software update, so it will show full bars when u have no signal? Cool I have full bars, but internet is slow as hell and my calls keep dropping. Its a hardware issue, software doesn't cause a signal to drop when u are touch the antenna
Old 07-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Contributors

Just to add a comment I thought that was funny posted by a member at Engadget:

After the fix it'll be "Less bars in more places!"

C'mon Apple, this is clearly a blunder you weenies need to own up to.

Also, 4 class action suits have been filed: http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/20...tenna-flaw.ars
Old 07-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc

Originally Posted by tex_phil
No kidding. So a software update, so it will show full bars when u have no signal? Cool I have full bars, but internet is slow as hell and my calls keep dropping. Its a hardware issue, software doesn't cause a signal to drop when u are touch the antenna
May be better to wait for the software update to see what actually happens and what actually gets resolved before just making those wild ass guesses...

Apple is, I am sure, more than aware that it is under a microscope here and that people expect this to be fixed. You're not being a blind apple fan by putting more faith in Apple's engineers to get that done, particularly in light of Apple's representations today, than a couple of wild ass guesses from users as to what the actual underlying issue may be.

In any event - Apple is letting you return the phone for up to 30 days if you're not happy. Don't like it? Take it back.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:46 PM
Contributors

C'mon now, listen to yourself.

There has been no less than half a dozen in depth investigation research and reports about this flaw, and scientifically tested as well.

Did you not see the job postings for antennae engineers that Apple posted up? Even by Apple's own news release they say it's a fix that'll modify the way bars are defined.

I am sure that Apple, at this point, knows much better than making a statement to claim that their fix will actually fix the reception issue. And besides, if they can actually make the reception better via software, don't you think they would've said as such? (Which would easily result in more lawsuits) Stop being naive and lie to yourself man.

Let me point out one more thing. They said this "fix" is coming in undefinable weeks -- that's a joke. It does not take weeks to correct and compile a new firmware to "correctly" display reception bars.

Lastly, your last statement is condescending to say the least. Why of course people can take their phones back. Such a statement removes Apple's responsibility of making things right to their consumers, and that's just not acceptable.

Quick Reply: iPhone 4 has major antenna design flaw