Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Iphone 3G gimmick

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bdaddylo' post='621337' date='Jul 11 2008, 10:00 AM
Bear in mind, this just means you're not locked into a plan. AT&T will still activate the phone (and charge you) on their network prior to giving you the phone. Not sure what implications this will have on hacking the phone.

I'd say it gets hacked just like the old one so you can put any sim in it

In NA its pretty pointless since the only 3d the iphone can use is AT anyway, in europe its a bit more useful
Old 07-11-2008, 05:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bdaddylo' post='621339' date='Jul 11 2008, 08:06 AM
That's correct; however, the new subsidy that AT&T has to pay Apple is being recouped in their revised/higher rate plan. The subsidy is supposed to be more lucrative for Apple than the previous revenue sharing agreement.
Didn't ATT normally charge $10 more for 3G plans over the EDGE plans? The other piece that people seem to be missing is that the old plan of $20 included 200 SMS messages. Now you need to pay another $5 more. So the new plan is $15 more for 3G.
Old 07-11-2008, 06:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by B-car fanatic' post='621348' date='Jul 11 2008, 08:31 AM
I'd say it gets hacked just like the old one so you can put any sim in it

In NA its pretty pointless since the only 3d the iphone can use is AT anyway, in europe its a bit more useful
The antenna is limited by hardware, no software can modify the frequency to work on other 3G networks. You can still hack the new iphone 3G, but it will only work on Edge. Defeats the purpose of upgrading to the new iphone, if your are using a service like Tmobile.
Old 07-12-2008, 04:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 bmw 530i titanium silver premium and cold weather packages.... ready to do some minor work and still keep it sexy

3g is so definately worth it... but if you don't want a contract then wait until there is a no commitment price and call it a day
Old 07-13-2008, 05:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i - Sport Package - Comfort Package - Navigation - Bluetooth - Ipod - Sirius

Originally Posted by B-car fanatic' post='621029' date='Jul 11 2008, 12:18 AM
I bought a HTC TyTn II (virtually the same as att tilt) in august/sept last year for $800

I've had 3g and gps, cut and paste, mms, tethering, bluetooth stereo, multiple email accounts, full keyboard, access to thousands of apps like tomtom sat nav

my phone still owns the 3g iphone

bmw 5 series = windows mobile/blackberry = business

toyota prius = apple = follower of marketing

next phone - http://www.sonyericsson.com/x1/?lc=en&cc=us
I have the ATT Tilt, but sold on the Iphone for the visual voicemail and it displays the city along with the caller ID. I don't think there is any other phone like it. Picking mines up tomorrow...
Old 07-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Owner since day one, and I truly believe there is no phone that really compares. And I don't care if some phones have voice guided GPS or 5mega pixel camera. The fact is the iPhone is the whole package. I'm still debating about 3g speed though, and if I want to upgrade.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:31 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tex_phil' post='623077' date='Jul 13 2008, 08:00 PM
I'm still debating about 3g speed though, and if I want to upgrade.
I upgraded the other day and all I can says is... WOW. The difference in speed is night and day. The difference between driving an Accord and a 545. But the best thing is the Apps store where they have the coolest applications to download. Some you have to pay for, but lots are free. My favorite so far? The Vicinity App. I click the button and a GPS chip finds out instantly where I am, provides buttons for the history of the neighborhood, photos of landmarks, but best of all: a list of buttons like Cafes, Stores, Theatres, etc. I click one, like Cafes, and a list of all the nearby restaurants appears with phone numbers, addresses and web address. You click the phone number and it will call so you can order take out or make a reservation. The Apps are amazing and take the iphone to another level. it's not just a phone. It is a small, fast, mean computer that will simply your life. Oh, and you can also make calls on it. ;-)
Old 07-19-2008, 08:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by oceanbluela' post='627938' date='Jul 19 2008, 09:31 AM
I upgraded the other day and all I can says is... WOW. The difference in speed is night and day. The difference between driving an Accord and a 545. But the best thing is the Apps store where they have the coolest applications to download. Some you have to pay for, but lots are free. My favorite so far? The Vicinity App. I click the button and a GPS chip finds out instantly where I am, provides buttons for the history of the neighborhood, photos of landmarks, but best of all: a list of buttons like Cafes, Stores, Theatres, etc. I click one, like Cafes, and a list of all the nearby restaurants appears with phone numbers, addresses and web address. You click the phone number and it will call so you can order take out or make a reservation. The Apps are amazing and take the iphone to another level. it's not just a phone. It is a small, fast, mean computer that will simply your life. Oh, and you can also make calls on it. ;-)
Great application. For another, take a look at Shazam. It's incredible. When music is playing (say when you're in your car with the radio on) Shazam will listen to the audio and will tell you what the track is and provide links to online stores. Takes about 5 to 10 seconds to listen, ping their database, and tell you track and the artist. Works well on most reasonably modern music. It's amazing and great fun. Right now, it's also free.

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore...993459&mt=8