Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Good news for the BMW Sauber F1 team

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 06:16 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525Xi Build: Sep 2005 Del: May 2006 Ti Silver | Black | Premium Pkg. | Cold Weath. | Step | Xenon Adapt.

Kimi will drive the wheels off what he has, but I agree development will suffer. That was where Ferrari often made up ground during Shumi's years. Without his leadership, will that group he brought to Maranello be as engaged?

All the more reason BMW should aim higher!
Old 02-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by VIIV' post='391443' date='Feb 14 2007, 07:16 PM
Kimi will drive the wheels off what he has, but I agree development will suffer. That was where Ferrari often made up ground during Shumi's years. Without his leadership, will that group he brought to Maranello be as engaged?

All the more reason BMW should aim higher!
Who do you think then it would be a better driver for bmw? What do you think of Heidfeld?

Letting aside Kubica which is young but very talented and needs some time to earn the experience and improve the skill, Nick really for me sets some doubts. Since he was not that fast when Villneuve was around, posting times and performing in races worse then when Kubica came that means, as some guy at Speed TV said, that Nick had the extra reserves and skill even when Villneuve was around but really used them when a young gun came like Kubica. Robert being more motivated and thrilled pushed the limits so Nick had to respond to defend his position as No 1 pilot. And so he did, boosting his performance alot.

In qualifies when Kubica went into superpole most of the time Nick pushed harder and harder and he entered the superpole aswell. In races the same thing. Although competition between pilots is very healthy for the team i suspect that Nick has a problem, not being able or not wanting to deliver when he knew in fact that Jacques was way slower than him.

But because he's a native, and he has more experience than anybody else in the present BMW has to keep him. Besides not many more are left out there, better than him, and willing to come to BMW. In fact, come to think of it, none is better. DelaRosa? Don't think so. Kimi, Alonso, Massa are just up there along with the top teams. Hopefully BMW will overcome this.

PS: I also remember to have read somewhere that BMW F1.06 had the most powerfull engine (on average) from all the other teams. ALL. Can it be true? In 2005 season i remember Honda having the engine that reved the highest and also i remember in 2006 i heard the same thing but this time was BMW.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 523i. Alpine white, dakota leather, 8 speed auto, VDC, bluetooth, HID lights, parking sensors, sport seats, black window trim, tinted rear windows 1988 Ferrari 328 GTS, nero on rosso corsa. 1992 Mazda MX-5 / Miata 2009 Ford S-Max 2.5T

This was interesting comment by Massa last Friday:

"Felipe Massa believes BMW Sauber currently has the car to beat in Formula 1 judging by its pre-season testing form.

The McLaren MP4-22 has been the pace-setter for much of this winter, although Massa put Ferrari?s F2007 at the top of the timesheets on the last day of dry running at Jerez on Wednesday.

But in terms of overall performance the Brazilian has been most impressed by the BMW F1.07, and says the Hinwil-based squad has stolen a march on the field.

?Definitely the McLaren looks fast, but for me the BMW is the best of all at the moment,? Massa told Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport."
Old 02-15-2007, 08:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525Xi Build: Sep 2005 Del: May 2006 Ti Silver | Black | Premium Pkg. | Cold Weath. | Step | Xenon Adapt.

I don't think Heidfeld is the answer. I see him as a placeholder until they figure out if the other young guy (sorry, his name escapes me right now) is the real deal or not. If he is, they have a good young team. If not, they'll have to get serious about spending some money to lure an Alonso or Raikonnen. I don't see any one else in their class today. I also don't see any interesting drivers in IRL or CART.

So maybe Mario is sandbagging in his comments, and they really are looking to make a big jump. I think they might be capable of it.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:17 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by PoleApart' post='391565' date='Feb 15 2007, 01:12 AM
This was interesting comment by Massa last Friday:

"Felipe Massa believes BMW Sauber currently has the car to beat in Formula 1 judging by its pre-season testing form.

The McLaren MP4-22 has been the pace-setter for much of this winter, although Massa put Ferrari?s F2007 at the top of the timesheets on the last day of dry running at Jerez on Wednesday.

But in terms of overall performance the Brazilian has been most impressed by the BMW F1.07, and says the Hinwil-based squad has stolen a march on the field.

?Definitely the McLaren looks fast, but for me the BMW is the best of all at the moment,? Massa told Italian newspaper Gazzetta dello Sport."
Well that's a surprising comment. Sweet I know hope they will keep the same pace.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:20 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by VIIV' post='391895' date='Feb 15 2007, 09:28 PM
I don't think Heidfeld is the answer. I see him as a placeholder until they figure out if the other young guy (sorry, his name escapes me right now) is the real deal or not. If he is, they have a good young team. If not, they'll have to get serious about spending some money to lure an Alonso or Raikonnen. I don't see any one else in their class today. I also don't see any interesting drivers in IRL or CART.

So maybe Mario is sandbagging in his comments, and they really are looking to make a big jump. I think they might be capable of it.
I think this season all this will be decided. Robert Kubica (Heidfeld's team-mate) delivered already stunning performance. I for one support him and i think he is a real asset in times to come. Heidfeld will remain in the team, i suspect for a long time unless sa you say Dr. Mario decides to cash out a top pilot. It would be nice to hire Alonso, but for 2 years i don't see it comming. Heidfeld is a native which also is a plus for the german team, including for Mario.
Old 02-21-2007, 12:28 AM
Senior Members

For those of you who didn't get the chance to see and listen the new BMW F1.07 in action here's the chance.

I really can feel a different sound tune compared to F1.06 and this thing seems to be the real screamer. Listen to the revs on the long straight!!!!

It seems they made some big improvements in the engine and chassis.
Attached Files
File Type: wmv
RollOut_enExtranet.wmv (3.84 MB, 6 views)