Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Good home theater systems

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2006, 07:30 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by amigo525' post='342792' date='Oct 8 2006, 06:05 AM
Well, I dont really like the look of big speakers. I like little cube on top of a stand or hidding. I dont want to disturb the look of the living room. Secondly, yes, i know how connect those components. I dont think it is as hard as dealing with my current situation of not dating for such a long time

I read about the BOSE but every single AV forum i am reading are attacking the Bose. Maybe I should go with the new KEF?

Thanks for the advice.
Doesn't matter what the AV forums think, you'll find posters dissing virtually every major brand if you look. Bose's "crime" on most AV forums is that it is perceived as over priced, which may or may not be be valid, but for many users it's absolutely fine and the integration and size benefits may be worth a premium. I don't own Bose (I have a Monitor Audio setup with a Denon receiver) but my neighbor does and it's perfectly OK. Take a listen and let your own ears and wallet be the judge.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by swajames' post='342813' date='Oct 8 2006, 09:30 AM
Doesn't matter what the AV forums think, you'll find posters dissing virtually every major brand if you look. Bose's "crime" on most AV forums is that it is perceived as over priced, which may or may not be be valid, but for many users it's absolutely fine and the integration and size benefits may be worth a premium. I don't own Bose (I have a Monitor Audio setup with a Denon receiver) but my neighbor does and it's perfectly OK. Take a listen and let your own ears and wallet be the judge.
Thanks
Old 10-08-2006, 02:59 PM
Senior Members

i agree with swajames. go down and try them out. one thing you might need to consider is the look of the speakers. if you put them on stands, which the front speakers are usually on the sides of your tv, and if they look like pos. even the sound is good, i'm sure you won't be happy. in fact, it's quite a distraction. but if you are planning to "hide" them. make sure you have mesh doors if you want to put them in your cabinet or something. otherwise the sounds will be blocked by the doors or whatever in front of them. btw, if you want to get smaller cube speakers, you can mount them on the wall or ceiling. this will save some floor spaces as well. other than the ones that other members recommended, check out marantz and atlantic technology as well .
Old 10-08-2006, 03:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by alohalc' post='342911' date='Oct 8 2006, 04:59 PM
i agree with swajames. go down and try them out. one thing you might need to consider is the look of the speakers. if you put them on stands, which the front speakers are usually on the sides of your tv, and if they look like pos. even the sound is good, i'm sure you won't be happy. in fact, it's quite a distraction. but if you are planning to "hide" them. make sure you have mesh doors if you want to put them in your cabinet or something. otherwise the sounds will be blocked by the doors or whatever in front of them. btw, if you want to get smaller cube speakers, you can mount them on the wall or ceiling. this will save some floor spaces as well. other than the ones that other members recommended, check out marantz and atlantic technology as well .

Thanks..i am searching right now. Let me take a look at the good old marantz (my first speakers way when i was in hightschool) and the atlantic
Old 10-23-2006, 04:25 AM
Contributors

Finally made up my mind:

Denon AVR
Klipsch (front, center, rear)
DAYTON (subwoofer 12)
(dvd-- sony, denon or .....a good looking one with hdmi)
all connections thru HDMI. (sat, dvd, tv - receiver)

Now i am undecided between: widescreen 46" pld hdtv (samsung) or regular flatpanel LCD 42" samsung

"sorry..i took over from the original poster" hey...recycle recycle
Old 10-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by 700700' post='342701' date='Oct 8 2006, 12:03 AM
save some more and go for this i did and i absolutely love it

Showoff!

I know what that is!!! Hehe. Love the sound of the Meridian stuff. Wish it didn't mean paying as much as an E60 for an entire setup.

To the OP - I'd save a ton of money and get something like this:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products...,CONTENTID=9486

It'll do anything you'd need it to, and it will beat or match most HTIB systems costing 5x as much. My sister has the older z680 system, and it's incredible. The newer one in the link I sent you supports DTS 96/24, DD, Dolby PLII, has 6 inputs, including a 6 channel direct - which means you can use it for the next-gen HD-DVD and Blu-Ray audio formats in addition to DVD-A and SACD. You can generally get these systems for peanuts via Internet retailers. They have a slightly more expensive wireless version where the speakers don't need cabling. Order from Amazon, and return it if you don't like it - but you'll really love it unless you're looking for audiophile grade... which on $1500 isn't going to happen - for 1/10th of your cabling.

What might you spend the money you'd save on? Perhaps the Denon 2930CI DVD player??? The new Realta (Teranex) video processing chips are simply unmatched and only Denon is integrating them in players at this time. That one has the REON chip. The higher end models have the RIALTA - the big dog. Either way though, it will radically improve your video performance. I have an external scaler, and properly scaled DVD really is a near match for HD. DVD will be with us for a -long- time, and the new formats are going to be mired in competition and slow release... capitalize on the now.
Old 10-27-2006, 02:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='348435' date='Oct 24 2006, 01:08 PM
Showoff!

I know what that is!!! Hehe. Love the sound of the Meridian stuff. Wish it didn't mean paying as much as an E60 for an entire setup.
To the OP - I'd save a ton of money and get something like this:

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products...,CONTENTID=9486
It'll do anything you'd need it to, and it will beat or match most HTIB systems costing 5x as much. My sister has the older z680 system, and it's incredible. The newer one in the link I sent you supports DTS 96/24, DD, Dolby PLII, has 6 inputs, including a 6 channel direct - which means you can use it for the next-gen HD-DVD and Blu-Ray audio formats in addition to DVD-A and SACD. You can generally get these systems for peanuts via Internet retailers. They have a slightly more expensive wireless version where the speakers don't need cabling. Order from Amazon, and return it if you don't like it - but you'll really love it unless you're looking for audiophile grade... which on $1500 isn't going to happen - for 1/10th of your cabling.
What might you spend the money you'd save on? Perhaps the Denon 2930CI DVD player??? The new Realta (Teranex) video processing chips are simply unmatched and only Denon is integrating them in players at this time. That one has the REON chip. The higher end models have the RIALTA - the big dog. Either way though, it will radically improve your video performance. I have an external scaler, and properly scaled DVD really is a near match for HD. DVD will be with us for a -long- time, and the new formats are going to be mired in competition and slow release... capitalize on the now.
I have the Logitech? Z-5500 Digital for quiet a while on my main pc. They sound great when connected to the coax digital output to your pc card. I love them. Now i Need a setting for the main room.