Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Formula One 2008 (Rd.16, JAPANESE GRAND PRIX)

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:37 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Formula One 2008 (Rd.16, JAPANESE GRAND PRIX)-12086431.jpg

BMW Sauber - Nick Heidfeld v Robert Kubica
Qualifying: Kubica (3-0)
Race: Kubica (2-1) Kubica retired in Australia

BMW Sauber?s third Formula One season could not have got off to a better start. Not only are the team currently leading the constructors? championship, but one of their drivers has finished on the podium at each Grand Prix. And following his bittersweet 2007, it seems the leaner - and even a little meaner - Robert Kubica is so far setting the standard. Having finally adjusted to the Bridgestone tyres, he has outpaced Nick Heidfeld in qualifying, even giving the team their first-ever pole at Bahrain, and clinched two podium finishes. If Kubica?s retirement in Australia is taken into account, however, it is Heidfeld who has been the more consistent of the pair. And having scored points in every race, the German is just three adrift of current drivers? standings leader Kimi Raikkonen.
What next? With the F1.08 possessing race-winning potential, the stakes at BMW Sauber are now even higher. Both drivers have the talent to do the car justice, but will Heidfeld?s experience or Kubica?s ambition win the day? Watch this space
Old 04-17-2008, 03:11 AM
Senior Members

nice I hardly wait to see the spanish gp
Old 04-20-2008, 05:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 530i CPO

This race will be decided in qualifying, provided that all of the contenders make it through the first corner. BMW will need to grab the pole or their first win will not happen at this race. To do that, they will need to qualify light on fuel, but not too light. If they come in too early, the Ferraris will burn laps too fast for the BMWs to stay in the lead. Looking over the track, the only place one can pass is in the first corner after a very long straight. BMWs will need to get out of the corners quickly and hope those behind them suffer from turbulance, unable to pass at the end of the straight. BMW will have a better aero package, but their top speed will still be less than the Ferraris and possibly the McLarens so that makes them vunerable at turn one. Of course, there is a possibility of mechanical failures, but short of that, Saturday is the day for BMW to win this race.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:01 AM
Senior Members

Will BMW come with new aero stuff?
And what is the dirty side of the track (as in starting grid)?
Old 04-21-2008, 05:58 PM
Members

Supposedly, all the cars, except maybe Super Aguri, are breaking out tweeks of one sort or another. Since engine and tranny development is forbidden, only the chassis and aero can be advanced. (Tranny development can happen, but they have to last 4 races now.) I am a bit surprised that with all of the wind tunnel time they have, they would be rolling out new aero bits, but that's what I have read. As for the dirty vs. clean side. I believe that P1 is on the clean side. That would be the outside of turn 1. That's why we see P2 jump the pole some times just stuffing it into the corner.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

What's up with BMW's trap speed, is it lack of hp or too much downforce so the car will perform in the twisties.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MiamiPhill' post='565529' date='Apr 21 2008, 07:13 PM
What's up with BMW's trap speed, is it lack of hp or too much downforce so the car will perform in the twisties.
I doubt its lack of hp, they have always had one of the top powerplants in the field.

It is most likely due to too much downforce. Have you noticed the amount of winglets and aero bits on the Bimmers compared to Ferrari and Mclaren.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:30 AM
Senior Members

I agree, BMW power plants have always delivered strong, and for instance even two years ago they were very strong being overtaken (engine output wise) only by the "overclocked" Ferrari that ran like hell in the last 2 or 3 races. So it must be downforce that's keeping them back which is not really a bad thing except maybe for excessive tire wear. I mean if you've got the engine to balance the extra downforce all is good, trap speeds aren't everything in F1.
Old 04-22-2008, 02:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='565748' date='Apr 22 2008, 02:30 AM
I agree, BMW power plants have always delivered strong, and for instance even two years ago they were very strong being overtaken (engine output wise) only by the "overclocked" Ferrari that ran like hell in the last 2 or 3 races. So it must be downforce that's keeping them back which is not really a bad thing except maybe for excessive tire wear. I mean if you've got the engine to balance the extra downforce all is good, trap speeds aren't everything in F1.
The way their car is setup, they have a very good chance at winning the Monaco Grand Prix.

If they have a good quali session, maybe run a little light to pick up pole. They could pull a gap and maybe win the race. It would be their best chance all year to win a race, it should be exciting.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:31 PM
Members

The BMWs have been slower, top end wise than the Ferraris and the McLarens the last two years. I bet if you look up the top speeds, you will not see BMW higher than these two. With the engine development freeze, it almost garantees that Ferrari will win the championship unless Ferrari suffers many mechanical and/or driver errors. The only way BMW can stay in contention is for their car to provide the grip to get out of corners and the brakes to go late into a corner. Handling and brakes, not the engine top speed, is the key for BMW. I believe that is why we are seeing so many curious aero bits on the car.

Quick Reply: Formula One 2008 (Rd.16, JAPANESE GRAND PRIX)