Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

First Handgun - getting it today!

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 04:26 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 525i, mystic blue metallic, black leather interior, dark poplar wood trim, premium package, navigation, iPod, park distance control, voice activation, bluetooth. Mods: Full M-Tech Kit, ACS Rep Rear Window Spoiler, ACS Rep Rear Deck Spoiler, ACS Rep Quad Diffuser, ACS Rep Exhaust Tips, Remus Duel Exhaust, De-badge, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Umnitza Predator Ice V2, HID fog lights, Clear Side Marker Light Bulbs (yellow when on), Dark Poplar Wood Shifter, Dark Poplar Wood e-Brake Handle, Dark Poplar Wood Steering Wheel Inserts, OEM Steel Pedals, OEM M Footrest, 19 inch OEM 121s (Summer), 18 inch 124s (Winter), Shadowline Window Trim, Blacked-out Kidney Grills

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='756234' date='Dec 31 2008, 03:54 AM
Love the P229 in NP3. I had one of the P228's like that until a guy I knew saw it and said, "that gun looks like a pimp gun." I sold it a few days later. I do love the slippery teflon finish, though. Robar kind of screwed up one of my Colts, when they NP3'd all of the interal parts, including the sear...which I told them NOT to do. They had to chip it off and re-do some of my trigger work to get it back to how it was. And the NP3 on the barrel was scraping against my bushing on the end, since the tolerances were so tight prior to the plating. Oh well...looks and shoots nice now.

I also was a hi-cap mag fan, but luckily I sold them all before the ban ended and them bought them back at 25% of the price a few months later. If I ever need a SIG worked on, I'll ley ya know, if you ever get back to the states...
Rog. I should be back to the states in the spring of 2011! Also, let me know if you need and mags, parts, etc...
Old 12-31-2008, 04:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by wacopolumbo' post='755366' date='Dec 29 2008, 05:20 PM
Very nice choice! I used to carry P7s. Your model is known as the P7 in Germany, but in the states is known as the P7 PSP. It differs slightly from the more common P7M8. The PSP has the European style magazine release on the heel of the grip and is a little more compact than the P7M8. Of the P7s (P7 PSP, P7M8, P7M13 and the giant P7M10), the P7 PSP is my favorite. I have owned P7 PSPs, P7M8s and P7M13s. The P7M13 has a double-stack 13 round magazine and is much heavier.

The only downside to the P7 series is that they are all steel and fairly heavy for their size. But if you are only going to use it to sport shoot and not carry, that shouldn't be a problem.

For target shooting, the one drawback of the P7PSP from the P7M8 is that the P7 PSP does not have the plastic heatshield in the trigger guard. That steel gets hot real fast on the PSP.

Overall, you have made a fine choice for a first firearm! The only reason I gave up my P7s was because the manual of arms was so much different than my Sig P228 (M11) duty weapon. Make sure you get the scraper in to clean out the gas chamber under the fixed barrel.

Shoot straight and enjoy that P7. That is the German firearm equivalent to our BMWs!

Have any idea where I can get a scraper tool? It shipped with everything except that.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:17 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 550i Sport, Cream Beige Interior, 6-Sp Manual - retired 9/2011

Originally Posted by wacopolumbo' post='756491' date='Dec 31 2008, 08:26 AM
Rog. I should be back to the states in the spring of 2011! Also, let me know if you need and mags, parts, etc...
I used to be a licensed firearms dealer, so I have my fair share of full cap mags...at least as many as I need. But thanks.
Old 12-31-2008, 11:00 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i, mystic blue metallic, black leather interior, dark poplar wood trim, premium package, navigation, iPod, park distance control, voice activation, bluetooth. Mods: Full M-Tech Kit, ACS Rep Rear Window Spoiler, ACS Rep Rear Deck Spoiler, ACS Rep Quad Diffuser, ACS Rep Exhaust Tips, Remus Duel Exhaust, De-badge, 20% Tint Front and Rear, Umnitza Predator Ice V2, HID fog lights, Clear Side Marker Light Bulbs (yellow when on), Dark Poplar Wood Shifter, Dark Poplar Wood e-Brake Handle, Dark Poplar Wood Steering Wheel Inserts, OEM Steel Pedals, OEM M Footrest, 19 inch OEM 121s (Summer), 18 inch 124s (Winter), Shadowline Window Trim, Blacked-out Kidney Grills

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='756498' date='Dec 31 2008, 02:36 PM
Have any idea where I can get a scraper tool? It shipped with everything except that.
PM sent!
Old 01-01-2009, 07:53 AM
Members

Nice first handgun!

Here is a pic of my "team"...

Old 01-01-2009, 06:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i, Sport and Premium package, Titanium Silver with Black Dakota Leather interior

OK, so my first two guns are revolvers. My first was a 3" Ruger SP-101 .357 magnum. My second was Smith and Wesson 1.78" 442 .38+P. The S&W is my every day carry. The Ruger usually stays at the house. My fiancee and I were new to the gun world and wanted a simple platform for self-defense. Now that I am in it, I'm addicted and want to add some autos. I have shot XD and Glock. I like the grip of the XD better, especially if shooting with one hand... but I actually had smaller groups with the Glock... go figure... I also like the grip safety on the XD. If that dumbbass Plaxico Burress was carryin an XD he might not be in all this trouble. However, we all know the glock should have been in a holster etc etc etc.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Nice Purchase Ron, awesome first firearm. I own a Sig Sauer P6(P225), which was the German Police predecessor to the HK P7.

My buddy, member chowbox, has a P7M8. Be careful with your new purchase. The barrels on the P7's get very hot with extended use and the heat transfers to the frame, which in turn transfers to your trigger finger!! OUCH!!
The P7M8 includes a plastic heat shield inside the trigger guard to protect your trigger finger from the excess heat. I circled this plastic heat shield in red for your reference. You can see the difference between the two models, P7M8 with and P7 PSP without the protective cover.

EDIT: wacopolumbo already pointed out this difference in post 16, my bad.

Originally Posted by DrLev99' post='755717' date='Dec 30 2008, 02:45 AM
A man who knows his quality guns! My other long lost bro...that makes 3!
Brother!!!
Attached Thumbnails First Handgun - getting it today!-798px_hk_p7m8_left.jpg   First Handgun - getting it today!-without.jpg  
Old 01-04-2009, 04:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

I just shot it for the first time today. Went to the NRA HQ range in Fairfax, VA.

Only put 100 through it, but doing nicely so far. The gun is very accurate and it suits my hands.

All shot at 15'

This was the best target from a single clip:

On a lark, I tried shooting lefty. I have never shot anything with my left hand, so this was a first. After the two holes in the bottom, I settled in and grouped about half the clip in an acceptable manner.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:46 AM
Senior Members

Americans and their guns....heeeeeeyaaaaaa
Old 01-06-2009, 06:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='759722' date='Jan 5 2009, 09:46 AM
Americans and their guns....heeeeeeyaaaaaa
If firearm ownership was more widespread in Romania, the late 40's to early 60's would have been very different there.

Quick Reply: First Handgun - getting it today!