Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Dos and Donts in a job interview

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by Bteljuice' post='623800' date='Jul 14 2008, 05:23 PM
thx guys i really appreciate ur help

so wht more can u guys advise me. the more, the better.

wht have u learned from past experience. wht was it like on ur first interview?
You have to give up your style of writing. It may be cool in this day and age of texting but it won't fly in business, particularly if you are job seeking. Maybe you should study and/or practice the English language before you embarrass you self in front of an older HR person.

Sorry about the criticism, just my opinion.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i- Steptronic Trans, Sirius Satellite Radio, Bluetooth, BMW Assist, Black Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Package, Premium Package

Originally Posted by Bteljuice' post='624522' date='Jul 15 2008, 01:48 PM
thank you everyone for your help and advices. im loving this FORUM.big caring family. AND A BIG THX FOR THE PM
Everyone is really giving some great advice here.

I have just begun a new job (in the engineering field) and had quite a few interviews before I landed it.

The dress is very important as mentioned before. One thing I would suggest to you is make sure that you have details from your internships!! What did you work on, and what type of things you learned that will be useful for the job. Right now, this is your only work experience to date, so the more details, the better. And also discussed by others here, dont go over your educational background unless someone asks about what your favorite class was. They have you at the interview BECAUSE of your education.

Make sure you speak clearly and confidently and always maintain eye contact with the interviewer when you're answering your questions. Make sure you're sitting up straight, no slouching and bring a notebook with you and take notes regarding the position and always make sure you ask questions at the end of an interview. While they are interviewing you for a job, you too are also interviewing the company. One thing I always asked was 'How soon are you planning on filling the position?' Sometimes, that will determine how soon you may get a response back from the company.

In regards to salary, dont try to negotiate a salary at the interview. Give them a salary range in which you are expecting. If you're fresh out of college, chances are you're not going to have a lot of room to negotiate, so you need to research to see what people in a similar position are earning with the same amount of experience (use salary.com, or something like this). And that is probably where most of your leverage will be.

Good Luck!!!
Old 07-16-2008, 06:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='625093' date='Jul 15 2008, 11:05 PM
You have to give up your style of writing. It may be cool in this day and age of texting but it won't fly in business, particularly if you are job seeking. Maybe you should study and/or practice the English language before you embarrass you self in front of an older HR person.

Sorry about the criticism, just my opinion.
I'm sorry sir. But i am amongst the top students in my English class. I only use this type of writting in order to type faster
Old 07-16-2008, 08:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by Bteljuice' post='625486' date='Jul 16 2008, 10:58 AM
I'm sorry sir. But i am amongst the top students in my English class. I only use this type of writting in order to type faster
Tell you what son ... save time this way on your resume and see how quickly you land a job! Anyone reading your writing would wonder if you ever learned to spell "you" or "your". Did you ever learn what a capital letter does or what a question mark is for?

What is the word "writting"? I rest my case. Just go ahead and do it your way.
Old 07-16-2008, 09:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 DINAN 135 convertible

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='625549' date='Jul 16 2008, 12:04 PM
Tell you what son ... save time this way on your resume and see how quickly you land a job! Anyone reading your writing would wonder if you ever learned to spell "you" or "your". Did you ever learn what a capital letter does or what a question mark is for?

geez. Give the kid a break here. Also, Mr. English Professor, did you not mean to ask him whether he knows "for what a question mark is intended?" as opposed to ending your question with a preposition?
Old 07-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by sixcard' post='625549' date='Jul 16 2008, 11:04 AM

Seeing your older than me, im gonna be respectful. Sorry if im coming on too strong but CMOOONNNN.im not here to do some spelling. no one really stresses on capital letters or question marks around here. Dont tell me you use capital letters everytime you finish a sentence. you should chat online more often.

and about the you or your, it was probably a mistype.
Old 07-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 1esquire' post='625632' date='Jul 16 2008, 12:24 PM
geez. Give the kid a break here. Also, Mr. English Professor, did you not mean to ask him whether he knows "for what a question mark is intended?" as opposed to ending your question with a preposition?

Thank you for the support.

Well spelled? hahahaha. Sorry, I meant "Laughing, laughing, laughing"
Old 07-16-2008, 10:31 AM
Contributors

PEOPLE. This thread is not about Spelling or Grammar lessons. Unless people have something useful or helpful to say, please do so, if not, please, keep your comments to yourself. THANK YOU
Old 07-20-2008, 09:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by Bteljuice' post='625703' date='Jul 16 2008, 01:31 PM
PEOPLE. This thread is not about Spelling or Grammar lessons. Unless people have something useful or helpful to say, please do so, if not, please, keep your comments to yourself. THANK YOU
Below is a good link to tips on interview. Most important . . . be yourself. If you are good, you will shine through. Good luck.

http://www.retailsearchgroup.com/refresh/t.../jobs.php?id=16
Old 07-21-2008, 07:05 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 08 Porsche 911 c2s, 01 BMW 740il, 05 BMW 525i, 06 Acura TSX navi

Originally Posted by Bteljuice' post='625703' date='Jul 16 2008, 02:31 PM
no worries buddy. you speak better than a lot of people here whose primary language is English.
being in another country and able to speak English at the level you are at, i say you are okay in my book bro.

when is the interview?

Quick Reply: Dos and Donts in a job interview