Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Dos and Donts in a job interview

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 01:56 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='623826' date='Jul 14 2008, 04:55 PM
Anyone person that went thru the same schooling as you can obviously do this job. Someone can be trained to do a job/perform a task a certain way. What cannot be trained is one's personality and analytical/critical thinking. You are going to have to find a way to some how convey that in your interviews as that will put you in prime position for the job....(that's my philosophy when interviewing people, I look for their personality to come through)
Gene ,whats up with the new handle ??
Old 07-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='623829' date='Jul 14 2008, 02:56 PM
Gene ,whats up with the new handle ??

Very observant K, the other forums I am on have it typed this way, Lomag was nice enough to help me with the name alteration. Easier to see my first name also
Old 07-14-2008, 02:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='623826' date='Jul 14 2008, 04:55 PM
Anyone that went thru the same schooling as you can obviously do this job. Someone can be trained to do a job/perform a task a certain way. What cannot be trained is one's personality and analytical/critical thinking. You are going to have to find a way to some how convey that in your interviews as that will put you in prime position for the job....(that's my philosophy when interviewing people, I look for their personality to come through)
yes exactly, ur right.anyone can be trained to do a job. my dad told me its all about charisma and strong personality. he also told me to be confident. and if they ask me something i dont know. just answer i havent seen this or i havent heard of this term before. never say the words " i dont know".
Old 07-14-2008, 02:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

All the advice here is good. The strengths weakness question is so canned, that if I hear it in an interview, I'll usually give a canned response. I've never been asked that question for a company I've wanted to work for. I think if you really want the job, if the interviewer doesnt ask you "why should they hire you" then you should let them know your interested, and let them know why they should. good luck
Old 07-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i

shorten your skirt and unbutton your blouse a bit.

or

everything discussed is good, i also brought in some examples of previous work i've done (on a flash drive) that didn't have any confidential information. That seemed to get the best response, because it made my interview interactive compared to others.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Definitely ask yourself and be ready to answer why you are the better choice than any other of the applicants....
Old 07-14-2008, 05:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Saphire/Black Dakota Leather- Loaded- M5 Appearance Package, Sport Package, Pro logic 7 Premium Sound, Navigation, Cold Weather Package, Comfort Package, Heads-up Display, park Distance Control, Bluetooth, Active Steering, Electric Rear Sunshade, Rear Folding Seats, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Xenon lights, Satelite Radio- Extended Maintenance, CPO (Considering Tire/Wheel Insurance)

Originally Posted by Bteljuice' post='623761' date='Jul 14 2008, 04:46 PM
thx, appreciate the help and the words of wisdom. i do always dress well on daily basis.

as for the part about the "wht i can do for them". im still a fresh graduate, wht can i possibly do that people b4 me, with much more experience, couldnt have done it?

You tell them you will give them your ability and potential... You would also like to learn what it is they do to help you actualize your potential. Ask "What type of training they provide for individuals at a similar level. When they ask you "Do you have any questions, make sure you have a few that are meaningful to you and also rpoves to them you think ahead and care about your potential role/development.

Good luck!
Old 07-14-2008, 06:12 PM
Senior Members

To add to the already good advice...

Strengths and Weaknesses: This is a very canned question and solicits canned answers. I would prepare two responses for each. Better interviewers realize that every interviewee will come prepared for this so have a backup and be sure to be honest and followup with how you're addressing that weakness.

When you get a difficult question, especially in a technical role, think out loud. Work through the problem and ask questions along the way to make sure you understand what is being asked. Don't just sit there quietly thinking it out in your head. They may want to know your thought process or how you collaborate on difficult problems. If you're not sure, ask if it's okay to take this approach.

Don't talk personal life unless you can directly apply it to the job.

Don't talk to much. I've seen lots of people get passed up because they just rambled on. It is often difficult for a nervous interviewee to balance being thorough with providing too much.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='624019' date='Jul 14 2008, 09:12 PM
To add to the already good advice...

Strengths and Weaknesses: This is a very canned question and solicits canned answers. I would prepare two responses for each. Better interviewers realize that every interviewee will come prepared for this so have a backup and be sure to be honest and followup with how you're addressing that weakness.

When you get a difficult question, especially in a technical role, think out loud. Work through the problem and ask questions along the way to make sure you understand what is being asked. Don't just sit there quietly thinking it out in your head. They may want to know your thought process or how you collaborate on difficult problems. If you're not sure, ask if it's okay to take this approach.

Don't talk personal life unless you can directly apply it to the job.

Don't talk to much. I've seen lots of people get passed up because they just rambled on. It is often difficult for a nervous interviewee to balance being thorough with providing too much.
thx. appreciate the extra info.

Im really thankfull for being a member in this forum. Everyone looks out for the other.

Why do you think whe should hire you? what can you give us that others can't?
those are the most scaring questions.
Old 07-15-2008, 09:48 AM
Contributors

thank you everyone for your help and advices. im loving this FORUM.big caring family. AND A BIG THX FOR THE PM

Quick Reply: Dos and Donts in a job interview