Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Death penalty

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='508200' date='Dec 18 2007, 09:18 PM
Think about us in the UK ... no death penalty, and probably the weakest and "criminal friendly" culture in the World. Hardly anybody even gets sent to prison these days because they are all full.

WE are the most criminal friendly country!

When you kill someone you can get away with 10 years, released on parole even earlier. Isn't THAT something?
Old 12-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='508226' date='Dec 18 2007, 10:20 PM

Only with speed on the road we are the best : if you kill someone after 5-10 years you are out . But when the police catch you at 175 kmh you have to pay 350-500 eur

The initiative against the death penalty started from Italy at UN then all Europe supported it .
Old 12-18-2007, 12:50 PM
PSB
Members

im actuallty for the death penalty ... but what im against is the wait before the criminals are put down .. some people have to wait 15 - 20 years before they get the chair .. its like living in the shadow of death
Old 12-18-2007, 08:06 PM
Senior Members

If capital punishment was put to a vote, I believe it would be upheld. It wasn't. The Governor used his authority to just abolish it. That is wrong IMO. I don't know that the death penalty is/was not a deterrent; or how do we know violent crime now won't increase once its gone? Don't believe everything you read.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Heelsonwheels' post='508341' date='Dec 18 2007, 10:06 PM
If capital punishment was put to a vote, I believe it would be upheld. It wasn't. The Governor used his authority to just abolish it. That is wrong IMO. I don't know that the death penalty is/was not a deterrent; or how do we know violent crime now won't increase once its gone? Don't believe everything you read.
agree
Old 12-18-2007, 10:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by BOBUCRUZ' post='508205
+1 It should have been put to a vote. Also, numbers and facts are constantly being manipulated. When the conceal carry law was passed in 2003 here in MN, the press had a field day, predicting wild west shoot outs. Light rail was completed here in 2004, with the press heralding it as the second coming of Christ. To date light rail has killed 4 or 5 people, conceal carry ZERO.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:13 AM
Senior Members

I have heard that some innocent people have been exonerated with today's advanced procedures, but let's not think that the list of innocent people executed is that long. In contrast how many people are walking around free because legally they were found 'not guilty' (OJ?+ many more). If they wanted to add Life without parole, fine, but capital punishment should have stayed on the book. This governor has enacted some laws that just demonstrate abuse of his office. It started more simply with Laws like, raising sales tax, quadrupling DMV ticket fines, seatbelt laws, idling in a car, etc to now abolishing capital punishment. When he broke the law (last yr when was in an MVA, going 90 mph w/no seatbelt) he offered to pay his own medical bill...big deal...that saved the insurance company a big payout and did nothing for the People who pay his insurance premium and not to mention the people he was elected to serve.
His escalating ridiculous decision making has made it worse for the law abiding,working, tax paying people, and now the innocent families of violent crime victims.

One more corollary: Whether you're a gang member or a father of a dead child you can go retaliate without fear of being put to death yourself.....brilliant.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535d M Sport

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='508369
If death is not a deterrent what is, life in prison?
The death penality is not a deterrent. The unfortunate reality of many crimes is that those in the grip of panic, rage and such emotions are unlikely to be deterred by the fear of execution at a later date. And the stats indicate that places with the death penalty tend to have higher violent crime rates than those without.

BC
Old 12-19-2007, 06:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Black BMW 525i

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='508369' date='Dec 18 2007, 11:18 PM
Come on, don't take an unwarranted swing at Christians, over 76% of Americans call themselves Christians. Ps. I don't go to church. What would Jesus do? Heard the phrase, an eye for an eye? It's from the Bible. " The phrase an eye for an eye, (Hebrew: עין תחת עין‎) is a quotation from Exodus 21:23?27 in which a person who has taken the eye of another in a fight is instructed to give his own eye in compensation. At the root of the non-Biblical form of this principle is the belief that one of the purposes of the law is to provide equitable retaliation for an offended party. It defined and restricted the extent of retaliation. This early belief is reflected in the Code of Hammurabi and in the laws of the Old Testament (e.g., Ex 21:23?25, Lv 24:18?20, Dt 19:21)."
Who are we to say that a murderer should die? Who the hell were they to take a life? You commit a crime such as murder, rape someone, molest a child...you deserve to die. I think a majority of the population would agree. If death is not a deterrent what is, life in prison? At one time life in prison may have been a deterrent but jail is now like going to a country club.
Is our system perfect, gosh no. Have some innocent people been convicted of crimes, yes. Our appeals process in the US is extensive enough that most people will be freed if they are indeed innocent. Your "laundry list" of criminals that have been set free only proves this point.
The only reason I am against the death penalty is that it is not fiscally responsible. The never ending appeals process makes it more expensive in the long run than life in prison.

+1 It should have been put to a vote. Also, numbers and facts are constantly being manipulated. When the conceal carry law was passed in 2003 here in MN, the press had a field day, predicting wild west shoot outs. Light rail was completed here in 2004, with the press heralding it as the second coming of Christ. To date light rail has killed 4 or 5 people, conceal carry ZERO.
Typical type of hypocrite. The type which cherry picks information that best serves their point of view, regardless if the facts are staring them back in the face. That's evident from what you pulled from the bible (pasted from Wikipedia). Luckily Black Cat was there to point that out. First, if the death penalty were put to a vote in NJ, it would be a very close call. Depending how the question is asked, you'll get a different answer:

NJ Poll

The majority are opposed to the death penalty.

Second, your entire argument is logically flawed. For example, you say "Who are we to say that a murderer should die? Who the hell were they to take a life? You commit a crime such as murder, rape someone, molest a child...you deserve to die."

This has to be the most incoherent and ignorant statement I've ever heard, to put it lightly. In your defense, it's your opinion and you still have one in our country. However, your own statement says "who the hell were they to take a life." Well, who are the hell are we to take a life? Last time I checked we were all humans, unless evolution went into fast forward and some of us are gods.

If you'd read my initial statement again, especially the last sentence, I stated it's a tough issue and it needs to be debated. To close, sure people commit awful crimes-kill, rape, murder, molest. But what's worst, the family and/or victim suffering, or the innoncent man or women rotting in prison waiting for their end. Neither, there's no right answer. So we should try to avoid either at all costs.

All I wanted to say is it's a tough issue and needs to be debated more. It doesn't seem to deter crime (according to statistics) and many innocent people have been put to death.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i w/ Sports & Permium Pkg. Silv/Blk 2008 VW R32 w/Nav. 1992 VW Corrado Silv/Blk-retired 2001 530i Sports/Premium-retired

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='508369' date='Dec 19 2007, 02:18 AM
Come on, don't take an unwarranted swing at Christians, over 76% of Americans call themselves Christians. Ps. I don't go to church. What would Jesus do? Heard the phrase, an eye for an eye? It's from the Bible. " The phrase an eye for an eye, (Hebrew: עין תחת עין‎) is a quotation from Exodus 21:23?27 in which a person who has taken the eye of another in a fight is instructed to give his own eye in compensation. At the root of the non-Biblical form of this principle is the belief that one of the purposes of the law is to provide equitable retaliation for an offended party. It defined and restricted the extent of retaliation. This early belief is reflected in the Code of Hammurabi and in the laws of the Old Testament (e.g., Ex 21:23?25, Lv 24:18?20, Dt 19:21)."
True indeed, but you still did not address the question.....what would JESUS do.?

Who are we to say that a murderer should die? Who the hell were they to take a life? You commit a crime such as murder, rape someone, molest a child...you deserve to die.
".....Do not be too eager to deal out death in judgment. Even the very wise cannot see all ends.....for Many that live deserve death. Some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them": Gandalf the Grey

If death is not a deterrent what is, life in prison? At one time life in prison may have been a deterrent but jail is now like going to a country club.
All those here who have done time in a supermax pen for capital murder raise your hands.

Have some innocent people been convicted of crimes, yes. Our appeals process in the US is extensive enough that most people will be freed if they are indeed innocent.
Realy, when was the last time you were on the hook for capital murder.....?care to cop to a crime you did not commit to test that theory? Maybe you all should watch this and see what can happen to a person accused of An Ordinary Crime , and as you watch, ask yourself.....what if this were a capital murder case.

Quick Reply: Death penalty