Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Death penalty

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is a loaded question to some but I can't help being appauled by this.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:53 AM
Contributors

No idea what you're on about, got a link to a news website or something ... ?
Old 12-18-2007, 08:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

In the US, the state of New Jersey recently passed a bill banning capital punishment. The governor signed that bill in to law a day or two ago, making New Jersey the first state to ban capital punishment in many years. Heelsonwheels is highlighting this development and his disagreement with the move...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/12/13/nj....iref=newssearch
Old 12-18-2007, 08:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

Originally Posted by Heelsonwheels' post='508115' date='Dec 18 2007, 12:46 PM
I know this is a loaded question to some but I can't help being appauled by this.
:thumbsdown: I'm appalled as well. Sorry, we can't give this mass murderer/rapist/child molester the death penalty because it's cruel and unusual punishment. Yeah, that makes sense.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kscarrol' post='508126' date='Dec 18 2007, 12:06 PM
In the US, the state of New Jersey recently passed a bill banning capital punishment. The governor signed that bill in to law the a day or two ago, making New Jersey the first state to ban capital punishment in many years. Heelsonwheels is highlighting this development and his disagreement with the move...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/12/13/nj....iref=newssearch
Thanks kscarrol for the link( i forgot it in my disgust). I can't imagine the pain of the victims families feel when they read this. Back in 1994, Megan's Law was instituted and passed quickly, primarily because of the public's outrage and petitions. The reason was because a known sex offender lived in a neighborhood unknown to the rest of the people, then raped and murdered a young girl. That child killer will now live. Life without parole is bs. IMO there's a place for capital punishment.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:18 AM
Contributors

Think about us in the UK ... no death penalty, and probably the weakest and "criminal friendly" culture in the World. Hardly anybody even gets sent to prison these days because they are all full.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Black BMW 525i

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='508132' date='Dec 18 2007, 09:29 AM
:thumbsdown: I'm appalled as well. Sorry, we can't give this mass murderer/rapist/child molester the death penalty because it's cruel and unusual punishment. Yeah, that makes sense.
These types of people should be punished. I agree with you 100 percent on that. But who are we to say they should die and we should be the one to kill them? Everytime I speak with a proponent of the death penalty, they tend to be Christians. Then I ask, what would Jesus do?

Additionally, there's been a laundry list of convicted criminals who've been let go recently, due to new forensic evidence that clears their name. What if they'd been put to death. In some cases they have. We would have killed a perfectly innoncent person. Sure, it's a charged question to answer, the death penalty, but it definetely needs to be debated and thought through.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='508200' date='Dec 18 2007, 12:18 PM
Think about us in the UK ... no death penalty, and probably the weakest and "criminal friendly" culture in the World. Hardly anybody even gets sent to prison these days because they are all full.
Interesting. However, I'd be interested in seeing violent crime statistics in the UK, then comparing them with states that use capitol punishment. For example, Texas.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:52 AM
Senior Members

To play Devils Advocate a bit, the death penalty has been proven to NOT be a deterant to violent crime; the death penalty is a revenge killing for the most part. I would guess the incidence of murder is at least as high, likely higher, in the US as it is in Canada, where there is no death penalty. Many things come into play on this tho (eg. the ease of acquiring firearms in the US is one).

In Canada, it does grate on some to keep some serious killers (serial and otherwise) alive but imprisoned at state (ie. taxpayer) expense. OTOH, there have been several cases lately where the convicted "killer" has been proven innocent, using modern DNA testing, and some of these people have been in prison for several decades.

I don't have the answer, but most of the Western World does not use the death penalty.

It is an age-old debate and not an easy one to answer.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BOBUCRUZ' post='508205' date='Dec 18 2007, 12:38 PM
These types of people should be punished. I agree with you 100 percent on that. But who are we to say they should die and we should be the one to kill them? Everytime I speak with a proponent of the death penalty, they tend to be Christians. Then I ask, what would Jesus do?

Additionally, there's been a laundry list of convicted criminals who've been let go recently, due to new forensic evidence that clears their name. What if they'd been put to death. In some cases they have. We would have killed a perfectly innoncent person. Sure, it's a charged question to answer, the death penalty, but it definetely needs to be debated and thought through.
This link should further my point:

The Death Penalty Claims Innocent Lives

Quick Reply: Death penalty