Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Canon EOS 5D Mark II: 21MP and HD movies

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 04:20 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

How big is the picture quality difference between 12 bit processing (Nikon D90) and 14 bit processing (Canon 50D)? I've read in reviews that in 'real world' performance, there isn't a noticeable difference. Is this the case?
Old 09-25-2008, 04:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

Awesome shots Ron. Are those all straight from the camera? Or did you tweak some RAW settings?
Old 09-25-2008, 04:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by KnIgHtCoM' post='677862' date='Sep 25 2008, 08:29 AM
Awesome shots Ron. Are those all straight from the camera? Or did you tweak some RAW settings?

Thanks! the first two have global and local adjustments, the rest are pretty close to as they were shot except for the one with the stairs and green door. That also has global and local adjustments.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='677857' date='Sep 25 2008, 08:20 AM
How big is the picture quality difference between 12 bit processing (Nikon D90) and 14 bit processing (Canon 50D)? I've read in reviews that in 'real world' performance, there isn't a noticeable difference. Is this the case?

12 vs. 14 bit isn't that huge, but I have had issues with the Nikon RAW compression used on lower-end DSLRs. It would be interesting to see the quality of NEF compression these days. I have a Nikon D70 (older camera) that uses a "visually lossless" compression that cannot be turned off. In other words, RAW NEF capture is always lossy. I don't know for sure, but I think many of the consumer-level Nikon DSLRs make use of the same or similar compression technology.

When I did any serious Photoshop processing, the images would tend to fall apart - due more to the compression than anything else. If you're just snapping photos you'll never notice, but if you want to really do some manipulation, you could run some risk.

14 bit is just more added insurance for cases when you might have to do major manipulation to an image. It should hold up better.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:06 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='677875' date='Sep 25 2008, 09:48 PM
12 vs. 14 bit isn't that huge, but I have had issues with the Nikon RAW compression used on lower-end DSLRs. It would be interesting to see the quality of NEF compression these days. I have a Nikon D70 (older camera) that uses a "visually lossless" compression that cannot be turned off. In other words, RAW NEF capture is always lossy. I don't know for sure, but I think many of the consumer-level Nikon DSLRs make use of the same or similar compression technology.

When I did any serious Photoshop processing, the images would tend to fall apart - due more to the compression than anything else. If you're just snapping photos you'll never notice, but if you want to really do some manipulation, you could run some risk.

14 bit is just more added insurance for cases when you might have to do major manipulation to an image. It should hold up better.
Thanks for the explanation Ron! I was searching through the internet on differences between cameras and ran across a very brief about 14 bit processing and 12 bit processing and wondered if it would be an issue. I don't do major surgery type manipulation on Photoshop, in fact I don't use Photoshop at all! I use Aperture 2.0~ But I do processing on the higher side of moderate.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:48 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='677789' date='Sep 25 2008, 12:54 AM
Luckily the insurance took care of it, but it's good to keep your own policy for camera equipment. I don't know what is available for that in Asia, but in the US it's very cheap.
Good point. With State Farm, it's called a personal articles policy that piggybacks off your homeowners. If you didn't have this, the homeowners policy will cover your loss, even if your gear was stolen from the car. The problem is the deductible, which is generally high. The personal articles policy covers loss, theft, damage, anything. If my kit dropped in the ocean, it would be covered 100% at the replacement cost.

Cheap peace of mind.
Old 09-25-2008, 07:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='677787' date='Sep 25 2008, 12:50 AM
I absolutely love it - it's pretty much the only thing I shoot on my 5D. The IS is phenomenal and it's very sharp wide open at f4. That's one of the reasons I got it... you can easily use it wide open. By comparison, many faster lenses need to be stopped down at least that far to equal its performance.
Nice captures! B&H has the 5DMkII with a 24-105 f/4L IS as a kit lens for only $800 more. Thanks for the nudge
Old 09-25-2008, 08:15 AM
Contributors

I'm more of a Canon fan than Nikon for digital, but the question I'm struggling with is, "Do I need the MP and speed of the 50D or is the D90 more than enough for my needs?" The spec greedy side of me is saying go for the 15 MP, 6.3 FPS continuous shooting, 16 shot RAW buffer, 14 bit processing and a few other tidbits aimed at the advanced amateur and pro (50D) VS 12 MP, 4.5 FPS, 9 shot RAW buffer, 12 bit processing and HD video targeting the intermediate to advanced amateur (D90)... I don't know what to make of the whole video thing on an SLR. It is a cool function to have, but I'm wondering how often I will use it. I would gladly give up the HD video recording for higher continuous FPS, larger buffer and 14 bit processing. Most of the photography I do can be broken down as follows:

Portraits (people, friends, family, events, still cars/motorcycles) - 50%
Sports/Action (motorsports, soccer, baseball, basketball) - 25%
Landscape (buildings, scenery) - 20%
Miscellaneous - 5%

Most of the pictures I take go through some level of post production (probably because I'm still an amateur) on Aperture 2.0 and a very few of my pictures are printed to about half poster size to frame and put on my wall.

This is what I thought of the 40D... Very fast! 6.5 FPS with 17 (?) shot RAW buffer, and 14 bit processing. I wish it had slightly less noise at higher ISOs, better focusing in low light, a bit higher MP and a better LCD screen. However, it still was an awesome camera.

The 50D addresses all the concerns of the 40D I had and retains all the speed and the 14 bit processing! However, so does the D90... except that the speed drops and it only has 12 bit processing. Hmmm.... so I'm still left with the question...

Do I need the MP and speed of the 50D or is the D90 more than enough for my needs?
Old 09-25-2008, 08:37 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by UUronL' post='677875' date='Sep 25 2008, 09:48 PM
I know that Nikon still calls RAW files NEF, but I don't know if they still use the "visually lossless" compression that can't be turned off. Does this have anything to do with the sensor (the D90 has a new sensor that is similar to the D300) or does it have to do with the processor (Nikon is using their new Expeed processor)?
Old 09-25-2008, 09:57 AM
Contributors

Never realized that picking a DSLR could be so daunting! This whole balancing $$$$ with performance and requirements is stressful!

Quick Reply: Canon EOS 5D Mark II: 21MP and HD movies