Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Budapest GP

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by swajames' post='455343' date='Aug 5 2007, 12:57 AM
Link to steward's decision - http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/61373
They give a very good explanation.

It shows again that Alonso is a jerk...
Old 08-04-2007, 03:12 PM
Senior Members

Hmmm what proof does fia have to arrive to such conclusion when the team except Hamilotn don't say much.

"Stewards are investigating the incident, but McLaren boss Ron Dennis told reporters that Alonso had simply been following instructions from his engineer, who was waiting for an appropriate gap in the traffic on track. Dennis explained that the delay stemmed from the two drivers being out of sequence with the team?s planned strategy for Q3, after Hamilton had disobeyed an order to let Alonso by at the start of the session."

So?
Old 08-04-2007, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator

Hamilton had disobeyed an order to letr Alonso pass.
That's a team order and ILLEGAL, since Michael Schumacher and Ferrari...

When Alonso was told that he will be held back 20 seconds, Hamilton was not informed about it. He might have had a chance for another flying lap, instead cae back in. He should have still had a chance, but Alonso decided to stop another 10 seconds... This smells like "payback" for not letting him pass. That's illegal.

Simple.

I would have bumped Alonso more than only five spots! 10 would at least have been appropriate!
Old 08-04-2007, 03:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

For the pit stop at least I think McLaren's holding back of Alonso to get clear traffic was legitimate, and part of any qualifying strategy. Once Alonso was cleared to leave but decided not to do so the problem became his and his alone. Alonso's punishment should stand (and he's lucky to have only lost five places), the team's is unfair and I think it should be withdrawn. Seems to me that the team ae getting punished partly because Dennis tried to provide some of the context without publicly turning the spotlight on Alonso. In attempting to sweep it under the carpet so he could address it privately he let the stewards deflect some of Alonso's culpability back on to the team. Personally, I think that's a little unfair.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:27 PM
Senior Members

Ok so i've read the FIA decission, which is appealable (yeah right after the guy starts 5 positions lower), and still do not understand a few things:

1. Why Hamilton did not obbey the team orders in the 1st place?
2. What purpose would the team have to specially delay it's own beloved pilot (hamilton)?
3. Were those extra 10 seconds trully what Hamilton needed to start another hot lap?
4. Who's more of a jerk? Alonso when (assuming) he lied about the extra 10 seconds needed to check with the team if the right tires are mounted? Or Hamilton in the first place who didn't let Alonso by at the start of the q3 (fact)?

"At the commencement of the third period of the Qualifying practice it had been agreed within the Vodafone McLaren Mercedes Team ("The Team") that Fernando Alonso would leave the pit exit ahead of Lewis Hamilton in order to benefit from the possibility for purposes of fuel burn allowance of being able to complete an additional lap.

In the event, the car driven by Lewis Hamilton arrived at the pit exit before that of Fernando Alonso and when the pit lane opened he left in front of Alonso. The team required Hamilton by radio communication to allow Alonso to pass in order that he might endeavour to complete his extra lap. Because of the proximity of the Ferrari driven by Kimi Raikkonen, however, Hamilton declined to allow Alonso to pass despite repeated requests from the team to do so."
Old 08-04-2007, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

1. Why Hamilton did not obbey the team orders in the 1st place?
2. What purpose would the team have to specially delay it's own beloved pilot (hamilton)?
3. Were those extra 10 seconds trully what Hamilton needed to start another hot lap?
4. Who's more of a jerk? Alonso when (assuming) he lied about the extra 10 seconds needed to check with the team if the right tires are mounted? Or Hamilton in the first place who didn't let Alonso by at the start of the q3 (fact)?
1. Team orders are illegal, why should he follow it?
2. Mc Laren Merceds doesn't have a beloved driver, both drivers are equal, even though that you, as an Alonso fan, don't think so.
3. Yes.
4. He can trust his team. And even if the wrong tires would have been given to him, he could have checked in the 20 seconds hold back, but there's no need to. If you can't trust your team, don't work with them anymore and leave. And again, illegal team orders don't need to be followed.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:33 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='455350' date='Aug 5 2007, 02:21 AM
Hamilton had disobeyed an order to letr Alonso pass.
That's a team order and ILLEGAL, since Michael Schumacher and Ferrari...

When Alonso was told that he will be held back 20 seconds, Hamilton was not informed about it. He might have had a chance for another flying lap, instead cae back in. He should have still had a chance, but Alonso decided to stop another 10 seconds... This smells like "payback" for not letting him pass. That's illegal.

Simple.

I would have bumped Alonso more than only five spots! 10 would at least have been appropriate!
Yes Iceman but team orders are mostly forbidden in the race. Don't compare this with Ferrari when Massa on orders slammed the brakes at Indianapolis last year allowing MS to pass and take 1st position on the podium.

This was qualifying and their strategy was as planned untill Hamilton disobeyed them first when he went out in front of Alonso on the grid and second when he still didn't allow Alonso to pass in the following lap which was NOT a hot lap for either driver. As i see it, it was just a strategy to allow both drivers to run those extra laps in the end, if all went like clockwork and everybody did their job. I don't find anything illegal here.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Alonso is a disgrace for racing.
Old 08-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Senior Members

Anyway i may be wrong, and Ice even though you may not think here, i'm now as objective as i can, no favoring anybody. I couldn't care less if Alonso was sent to the last position of the grid. More for BMW That's my true love

PS: As i see it team orders are illegal as long as the driver that was ordered is affected in any way by the given order. Clear example Massa as i mentioned above. I don't see how Hamilton would have been affected by the team order to allow Alonso to go first or pass. It was in the best interest of the team to do so and nothing more. After their strategy was $#@# up by Hamilton God knows what really happened, and what went through everybody's mind in the Mclaren team including drivers and executives.
Old 08-04-2007, 04:19 PM
Senior Members

Strange that none of this info is on http://www.f1.com I wonder why. I do think Alonzo deserves to be punished.

Quick Reply: Budapest GP