Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Bluetooth Item I'm excited about!

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 06:45 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

So, I don't know if any of you guys have devices that do stereo bluetooth... My Motorola Q does, as will any laptop, etc...

Soon, most MP3 players will as well. Anyway, the majority of bluetooth headphones are north of $100, and they're nothing more than a cheap set of headphones with a battery pack and a radio chipset. Bad news. Anyway, while researching interconnect options, I came across two items. One already exists - from a company called iTech. It's available through importers from various Asian markets. Basically, it provides the Bluetooth radio, a battery pack, and some buttons on a clip-like structure. The device pairs with the bluetooth audio device and/or phone, and permits you to then plug your high quality headphones into it using a standard jack. You control the forward and backward track selection and volume from the clip, and can leave the MP3 device in a bag or your pocket, etc... From the reports I have read on forums, it works quite well. 6 hours of battery.

iTech Clip S38

http://www.itechdynamic.com/en/products_sp...2&pid=02042

While that's ok, it's not quite what I would cook up if I were designing a product. No, Motorola seems to have done better. However, the device is not yet out. Get a load of this, the Motorola S705 SoundPilot:

http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/product/d...balObjectId=152

More battery life, -and- the all-important A2DP profile to provide control -and- readout of song title and navigation cues. I'm definitely picking one of these up as soon as it comes out. If you're like me and you travel, you likely have media on 3 or 4 devices. You bounce from one to the other, depending on battery condition or what you might be doing at the time. With this, you could be listening to music on your laptop or watching a video on your laptop with the audio coming from there, and if you phone rang it could interrupt and switch the audio to the phone. Cool huh? Would show the caller ID on the readout as well. All with the phone remaining in your bag or pocket. You want to switch to listening to songs on the iPod? No problem. No unplugging, no digging for the device, etc...

Image...

So... the other neat application for this would be that instead of plugging headphones into this device, you could plug it into the Aux jack on the E60. Position the little readout somewhere, and it could pair with a number of Bluetooth-enabled MP3 or phone devices for passing stereo audio to the car. Incidentally, this was the kind of functionality I was hoping the BMW bluetooth module would be able to bring to the car in a future iteration - except without the little add-on text and control display.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:58 AM
Senior Members

So, exactly how much time do you spend in your car? :-)
Old 01-29-2007, 10:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='384886' date='Jan 29 2007, 11:58 AM
So, exactly how much time do you spend in your car? :-)

Heh - when I referred to travel I meant not being in the car, but rather airport travel. If I drive to work, approximately 30 minutes to work, and about 45 to get home.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:31 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

See http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=gb&...p&pid=10795 its the same but without the display. There are many bluetooth headsets available. All you have to do it make a 3.5mm socket for it.
I've had a similar set-up in my car for a few months now with the http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=gb&...p&pid=10394
Old 01-29-2007, 12:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='384990' date='Jan 29 2007, 03:31 PM
See http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=gb&...p&pid=10795 its the same but without the display. There are many bluetooth headsets available. All you have to do it make a 3.5mm socket for it.
I've had a similar set-up in my car for a few months now with the http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=gb&...p&pid=10394

Yeah, good catch - I didn't know Sony Ericsson had anything similar. Looks like that first link is a "coming soon" product too. I'm more interested in the readout type, and both of the devices I mentioned have a 3.5mm jack. I know existing headsets can be hacked up, I'd just prefer a solution that is engineered to sound good. That makes a difference in my experience.