Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Is BIMMERFEST strict and intolerant?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 07:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Black/BlacK

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='526181' date='Feb 2 2008, 01:55 AM
You are apparently a somewhat less than friendly ghost.

LMAO
Old 02-02-2008, 07:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='526253' date='Feb 2 2008, 11:31 AM
You may know that I left "that" message board due to the way they handled the "Knights of the Roundel" issue on the 6er forum. It wasn't their reaction to the principle character leaving but the deleting of threads that had nothing to do with the incident including the "Ask Cobradav" thread. To top it off, they seemed to bring in out of character members to post on the 6er forum to keep it alive. Up to that point, no one had ever discussed boxes, bubbles, donks, and jacking up the 650i to install 26 inch rims on it. Then they started to borrow information from the newly established KotR and claim it as their own. Any thread I opened inquiring on the situation was scorned, locked, and eventually completely deleted. Because of the deletions, most members had no clue what actually transpired and sided with the admins as to their handling of the situation. I myself haven't been banned, but my signature and avatar were changed by the admins and ANY reference to KotR is an instant ban for life. I have no reason to post there anymore.

Besides, why bother with them when I can get such great info from e60.net (and other boards even though I no longer own those specific models).
I agree that the whole KotR thing got a bit ugly (from both sides). If you ask me, the difference between this board and bimmerfest all boils down to commercial sponsorships and profit. Bimmerfest clearly is in it to make money, grow, add additional sponsors, and keep current sponsors happy. There's nothing wrong with that at all -- if that's your business model.

They do a good job of following their mission and overall, I don't have too many complaints about them other than the abundance of stickies in the E60 forum and their board software in general. (As far as my board software complaint, I'm sure if I spent more time there I'd get used to it and I wouldn't have too many issues but at this point, I'm so much more accustomed to the software here that everything else feels foreign.) My biggest complaint with their E60 board is that there's really no traffic compared to this place. Often times you'll see a member cross-post the same question here and over there and inevitably, the thread here gets many more replies and much more useful information added to it.

I do give them some credit for not deleting (and banning members) posts that contain links to e60.net -- I try not to do it often because I respect the fact that they are running a business over there but every once in a while you'll see someone either referring to this site or linking to a thread from here and it's left alone by their mods.

As I said above, the big difference between us and them is $$. I think I can speak for the admins here and say that profit isn't a priority here (but losing money isn't one either) which is why contributions are accepted and Google ads are visible under certain conditions. I think you'll also notice that we rarely censor or remove posts because they mention other boards since "competition" isn't something that anyone here is really worrying about...
Old 02-02-2008, 08:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Who/what was Kotr ??
Old 02-02-2008, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='526262' date='Feb 2 2008, 12:06 PM
Who/what was Kotr ??
I'll let others more "in the know" chime in with more details but KotR is the "Knights of the Roundel" site that a bunch of 6 series owners started because they weren't happy with the way things were going on bimmerfest (and I suppose they weren't too happy with the fact that this site didn't give them more than one forum for their specific model car.)

Take a look:
http://www.knightsoftheroundel.com/
Old 02-02-2008, 08:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='526266' date='Feb 2 2008, 01:11 PM
I'll let others more "in the know" chime in with more details but KotR is the "Knights of the Roundel" site that a bunch of 6 series owners started because they weren't happy with the way things were going on bimmerfest (and I suppose they weren't too happy with the fact that this site didn't give them more than one forum for their specific model car.)

Take a look:
http://www.knightsoftheroundel.com/
AHHH ! not another site ! It's bad enough the amount of time I spend here.............. I'm banning myself from all other sites
Old 02-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Members

Casper,
Please, in the future, reconsider making posts such as the following:

"It just confirms what has been said many times, the 550i is a far better car than a 535i. Period." This was one of your posts on this forum on 1/30/08.

Some members, me among them, find posts such as this to be condescending, inflammatory, unnecessarily contentious, and inaccurate. This forum is a community of members gathering to share information. If you filter your comments with courtesy and respect for other members, you will most likely not have any future problems.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by enelrojo' post='526269' date='Feb 2 2008, 12:22 PM
Casper,
Please, in the future, reconsider making posts such as the following:

"It just confirms what has been said many times, the 550i is a far better car than a 535i. Period." This was one of your posts on this forum on 1/30/08.

Some members, me among them, find posts such as this to be condescending, inflammatory, unnecessarily contentious, and inaccurate. This forum is a community of members gathering to share information. If you filter your comments with courtesy and respect for other members, you will most likely not have any future problems.
So, if someone says the 550i is a better car than a 3 series, is that condescending,inflammatory, etc?
How about if its a better car than an MB E-class?
How about if its a better car than a Ford Taurus?
How about if I said its a better car than a Yugo? Well, that certainly is true! Sometimes the truth hurts.

One thing in this PC world, its hard to know, where do you draw the line?
Old 02-02-2008, 10:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by westcoast550' post='526262' date='Feb 2 2008, 12:06 PM
Who/what was Kotr ??
In short, the Knights started as an interesting twist for members on the bf.c 6er sub-forum. Persons could earn a medieval title related to their interest. But they had a disagreement over how a thread started by a sponsor was handled when the sponsor was diseminating obviously incorrect information, and was cornered on it. The counter posts were deleted and the sponsor was allowed to completely re-write the initial post as if nothing had ever happened. Some knights then decided to start their own sponsor free board. They then recruited for membership but most including myself joined because it was THE best place for 6 series information. I personnally know several KotR members and am glad to be a member of that site. BF.c especially didn't like the recruiting so the drama continued throughout last summer. It was a soap opera/spy novel/reality show all in one until things finally settled down.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:19 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='526302' date='Feb 2 2008, 02:02 PM
That's very insulting to Mac users...

Old 02-02-2008, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='526302' date='Feb 2 2008, 08:02 PM
So, if someone says the 550i is a better car than a 3 series, is that condescending,inflammatory, etc?
How about if its a better car than an MB E-class?
How about if its a better car than a Ford Taurus?
How about if I said its a better car than a Yugo? Well, that certainly is true! Sometimes the truth hurts.

Here's the problem with saying: "something is better than..."

Who is saying it?
It's the poster that is saying it. Only the poster. It is HIS opinion! MAYBE SOME others share this point of view, but you CAN NOT speak for everyone!

Why?

Because people drive different cars in different classes for different reasons! Not everybody that drives a 5series wants a sporty car. Some want a car in this size but with good mpg. Just ONE example!

There is no wrong or right and no such "A is better than B". Not if you speak in general. If you give YOUR opinion and tell others WHY this is so for you, that's OK.

Quick Reply: Is BIMMERFEST strict and intolerant?