Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Big cars still acceptable?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 01:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Due to envivonmental issues & dwindling resources, is it still acceptable to drive big thirsty cars?.
In the UK there is a backlash against 4x4's/Suv's, only a matter of time until attention turns to others, like E60 & any other big car. A lot of the attention is unfounded, ie some 4x4s etc are fairly fuel efficient , especially when carrying more than 1 person!. Seems like most wars are over oil which we continue to demand more & more of & the envoronment is being damaged by bigger & bigger thirsty vehicles. Not just the vegan, sandle wearing brigade think this way ( no disrespect intended ), it is now mainstream, especially the young are taught this. I read that BMW owners in Germany debadge their cars as it is not socially acceptable to show off, it is frowned upon. In UK we tend to do the opposite, like the flash cars.
Such a complex issue, as I have the car it is probably best to run it into the ground, as far more damage is done by producing a new vehicle, the production is far more damaging than the fuel savings over its lifetime.

I'm rambling now, thought anyone?
Old 07-20-2006, 04:54 AM
Senior Members

SUVs have never really been acceptable here. Every one drives them but eveyone still complains about them. Before it was for emissions and now it's for fuel comsumption. The odd thing is that between my M Roadster and my V8 Land Rover the M Roadster put out more emissions. And now between the V8 E53 and the V6 Sienna that it replaced the Sienna actually uses 20% more fuel. Go figure. The E60 isn't seen as a big car in the US. In fact the EPA considered the E39 a compact car (off by less than one cubic foot from a midsize). The E60 is a midsize car. I even work with someone who `stepped down' to a 7 series to get a smaller, more fuel effiecient vehicle.
Old 07-20-2006, 05:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Uk525i' post='313027' date='Jul 20 2006, 10:02 AM
Due to envivonmental issues & dwindling resources, is it still acceptable to drive big thirsty cars?.
In the UK there is a backlash against 4x4's/Suv's, only a matter of time until attention turns to others, like E60 & any other big car. A lot of the attention is unfounded, ie some 4x4s etc are fairly fuel efficient , especially when carrying more than 1 person!. Seems like most wars are over oil which we continue to demand more & more of & the envoronment is being damaged by bigger & bigger thirsty vehicles. Not just the vegan, sandle wearing brigade think this way ( no disrespect intended ), it is now mainstream, especially the young are taught this. I read that BMW owners in Germany debadge their cars as it is not socially acceptable to show off, it is frowned upon. In UK we tend to do the opposite, like the flash cars.
Such a complex issue, as I have the car it is probably best to run it into the ground, as far more damage is done by producing a new vehicle, the production is far more damaging than the fuel savings over its lifetime.

I'm rambling now, thought anyone?
I don't think consideration for the environment is an option.

It's knowing where to start. Thinking about your carbon footprint is a good thing:

http://www.carbonfootprint.com/

http://www.carbontrust.co.uk/default.ct

Cars are my particular weakness and I am not particularly sure ordering a 330i (which I just did) was a particularly sustainable decision.

You are quite right about hanging onto the car - buying new is much worse than buying second hand (which is effectively recycling).