Press Articles & Your Comments Post links to 5 Series related magazine articles along with your commentary.

AUTOSPIES opinion - best driving car on earth!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2003, 03:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Autospies website - THESE guys make me really angry . For the last 9 months they have continually criticised and 'bashed' BMW (mainly on styling), and now that they have finally driven the car they have changed their mind saying its the best driving car in the world! At least they got that right. Article below:

"
The biggest buzz in the car business right now revolves around the 2004 BMW series?

Its controversial design is at the crux of the debate and rumors.

Will it be accepted?

Will it sell?

What do the Spies think of now that they?ve seen it in person?

Did BMW blow it?

The Spies have found the answers that everyone wants to know?

Let?s take the questions one by one:

Will it be accepted? Based on our surveys around the country the answer is a resounding yes. The buzz is much different (positive) on this car than it was with the 7-series.

Will it sell? Another yes here?dealers tell us the demand is higher for the five than any BMW in a long time. High rollers are using their corporate BMW contacts to get them cars as we speak?the bad news is BMWUSA is so backed up with orders, even the rollers aren?t getting cars?Even when they?re going right to Purves! And, if you think you?re going to get a good discount on this car for the first six months or so, you?re dreaming?there is a huge waiting list for the car.

What do the Spies think of it now that they?ve seen it in person- When we first started talking about the five we told you we would reserve our opinion until we saw it in person?Although were not 100% sold on the back end, the car is much more attractive and interesting in person. We love the interior, much more so than the Seven. And there?s one other minor detail we should mention?it?s the best driving car on earth! If you thought the old five was good, test drive one of these babies to find out for yourself! NOTHING drives like a BMW. In our opinion, this car was not designed for BMW traditionalists...it was designed for a new and larger audience that might normally defect to an asian brand.

Did BMW blow it? Obviously not, but before we give it a A+ rating, let us warn you that early owners of the car are experiencing electrical problems (non-starting for no apparent reason, etc.). Let?s hope it's just the first few off the line and this problem is not predominant throughout the entire first run? "
Old 09-29-2003, 07:26 AM
Marvel

Talking

I finally saw the new E60 in person yesterday at the dealership - Bob Smith BMW in Canoga Park, CA. There were three 530i's of different colors, one silver, one blue and one black. Two had sport and premium package while the silver had premiun package only. The MSRP for the two with the sport and premium package was $52,400. I took time looking at the cars at different angles and distance inside and out and compared to the 2003 E39 540i and MB E320 and E500 that I have seen very closely. I am a big BMW fan but I have to admit I like the 2003 E39's and MB E class styling better.

Exterior comments on the new E60:

1. The design is not as timeless and classical as the E39. The E60's styling is more of a trendy style.

2. There are two pipe brackets behind the kidney grill that is disturbing to me because it's very visible. I was wondering why the designers couldn't find any other options to stuctural strengthen the front without having to expose those brackets.

3. I don't think the new design has more muscular and meaner look than the E39.

Interior comments:

1. Interior for me is not as luxurious than the E39. Instrument cluster is too simple they could have added two more dials and made it look sportier. The display screen for the I-drive is small (without navigation), leaves a big dark blank space on both sides of the screen.

2. The cup holder location was not well thought of. Still flimpsy in design. I think that cup holder will break if i place a 32 ounce drink on it.

3. The side door panels could look better if they made it two tone in color. The window sill/ threshold should be black and the arm rest should also be darker in color.

4. Location of the ash tray and cigarette lighter in front of the gear stick is not that user friendly.

I havn't test driven one of the cars yet and won't be doing it for a while coz I'm afraid I might fall for the handling and performance characteristics of it. For the mean time I hope designers from BMW get to read the comments in this forum and hopefully work on some adjustments on the next models that will come out.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:05 AM
Marvel

I took a second look at the cars yesterday with my son and you know what I'm begining to like both the exterior and interior more. I prefer the sport package with the lower stance- better looking and the black interior with the poplar wood trim on the dash and aluminum trim on the door grab handles. I'm very much tempted now to see if I could work out a deal on the black on black 530i with sport and premium package - no navigation yet. Hmmmmmmmmm...........
Old 10-07-2003, 04:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am slightly disappointed.

Went to the launch in Sydney tonight, and the cars look fantastic however I was let down with the interior - particularly the controls for aircon, cup holders and such.. It just seems too 'plastic'. The E39 had plastic, but the quality of the materials and the design didnt make it look so, unlike the E60.

I am glad to be an owner of E39 Individual !!!

I am looking forward to the test drive though.
I'm sure I will like the car more after that.