E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Importance of spec for driving experience

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2003, 10:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have spent about 2 hours each in two E60 with different specs (530dA, std suspension, std steering, 17" wheels / 530iA, sport-suspension, Active steering, 18" wheels) and I must say that the spec of the car really makes a huge difference for the way it drives. Prior to the testdrive, I was convinced that the 530iA would be the more sporty of the two given the petrol engine and the "sporty" spec, but after driving them I totally changed my mind.

The std equipped 530dA was an eager performer with fantastic steering and body control and a joy to drive. The engine has a great pull on curvy roads and the car has great grip on Scottish B-roads.

The 530iA with active steering was a magnificent cruiser, but (in my opinion) not a sporty car. It was great for quick cruising on curvy 60+mph roads where it was possible to drive (too) quickly without making too much effort, but on B-roads the active steering lacked feel and I did not enjoy to drive on the B-roads where the 530da made me smile from ear to ear. I guess that I was able to drive as quickly, but it felt like the car did not want to be driven actively.

If I would have driven the 530i with AS first, I would have been really disappointed, but after driving the std 530dA, I can do nothing but give the car the thumbs up!! My advice to all of you that are interested in the E60 - make sure that you test the car in different specs before you make up you mind!!!
Old 10-08-2003, 03:31 AM
Guest_ivdes

I totally agree.

I tested the two cars and I was disappointed by te 530iA (no enough sporty!).

So, I have choosen a... 545i...
Old 10-09-2003, 03:16 PM
Members

Hey Oreo

I am glad to see someone with a different view of the two packages BMW is offering, but I must say I disagree with the way you are using the term "sport". I am NOT slamming you but when I think of sport I think of autosport and the ability to get around a track or turn for that matter as quick and as stable as possible and I am sure BMW took that same approach.

From what you descride you seem to enjoy "bodyroll" and using your driving skills on those B-roads to keep your self entertained. I don't know the percentage of BMW owners around the world who drive on B-roads but in the US their arent many that do. With that said, I am sure you will have a lot of sporty fun in your E60 with what ever package you choose.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:51 PM
Members

rechamech:

Given your (and maybe BMW's?) definition of sport I can only agree with you. I have no doubt that AS + DD makes the car quicker and more stable around the track. I would still opt for the diesel though

I guess I am mostly talking about enjoying the drive and having a car that is transparent. With transparent I mean predictable and behaving the way I expect it to do when going straight (no dead spot around the straight ahead) and getting a bit of bodyroll in the corners at higher speeds. In this way I feel that the std car is more enjoyable to drive and I wanted to share this experience as there might be someone else out there with the same definition of "sportiness" or "joy of driving".

Isn't it great that the E60 can adapt to so many different needs / definitions of sportiness by just changing the specs a bit? To me the ability to transform in this way is one of the most amazing things with the car!
Old 10-10-2003, 04:09 AM
Members

The E60 is the greatest