Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Any of you guys into stocks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 07:29 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

Originally Posted by pukka
If I remember correctly, Steve Jobs has a form of Pancreatic cancer - which if true I hate to say is the worst kind of cancer to have. Even so I still wouldn't sell Apple stock at this point - nor would I buy.

Apple has been making innovative products long before SJ took back control of the company and their stock went sky high. Their huge success stems from the iPod and perhaps more importantly, the iTunes software that allowed the easy purchase and transfer of media to it.

However, the competition is catching up. Devices that run Google/Android are posing a serious challenge since they give the end user more freedoms than Apple. I think Apple will continue be a major player as far as media/entertainment devices go. But its still up in the air as far as being a productivity device. Furthermore, I'd question their motive to FINALLY drop their exclusive contract with AT&T and include Verizon which operates on an inferior (but arguably more reliable) network. Has their influence over the telecom industry begun to erode or are they just trying to move more product?

Just my opinion - and I don't own Apple stock either.
>>Their huge success stems from the iPod and perhaps more importantly, the iTunes software that allowed the easy purchase and transfer of media to it.

Much of their recent success can be credited to the EXPLOSION of iPad and iPhone sales, ALONGSIDE the consistent earnings they see from iPods (software and other iTunes Store related sales factor in here, but they seem minimal in comparison.. even if said total earnings are lumped in with "services, and Apple-branded and third-party iPod accessories" which may cause a slight distortion)
as we can see here:
http://images.apple....111data_sum.pdf
Also remember what I said earlier about marketshare growth and potential... once this s#!t transforms into a "global standard", nobody will be able to stop it... which leads me to:

>>However, the competition is catching up. Devices that run Google/Android are posing a serious challenge since they give the end user more freedoms than Apple.
Apple has done such an impressive job with regards to marketing and capturing the hearts & wallets of consumers, that even when we consider the challenge(s) that their competition may (or may not) bring to the table, one can't reasonably expect to see a decline in earnings (78% earnings growth and 71% revenue growth in a quarter? whoa!) on that basis.. if anything, maybe we can speculate on declining sales when we consider end-user demographics and the effectiveness of Apple's competition (which we have not yet seen).. but of course, one could argue that anything is possible, I'm just regurgitating the incessant analyses and updates that inevitably spam my life if Apple looks too scary as a potential investment, consider iPad/iPhone4 derivative plays, your ST Micro's, your Electronics Art's, Omnivision's etc.. (OVTI makes the cameras for iPads, phones and EVO's.. for full disclosure i do not own any of these

>>Has their influence over the telecom industry begun to erode or are they just trying to move more product?
Sales, baby.. lol especially since Apple Inc, sees $400+ PER PHONE that said telcom companies sell/subscribe.. verizon has over 93 million subscribers, so the potential is there! Estimates put $5.2 BILLION of sales revenue in Apple's hands, given 14% of Verizon clients hop onto the iPhone bandwagon... Slick.