Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Any of you guys into stocks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wondering would be nice to have a thread where we can discuss stocks and trading tips and advice.

Concerned about Apple..sell or keep? After today's news . Tomorrow should be quite the day. That mother****er better not die. His future looks bleak. The end is near for Apple? I hope not!

If I remember in January, 2 years ago around this time when Jobs left the stock went down that day but was up the next day. So time will tell .
Old 01-17-2011, 01:22 PM
Contributors

If you think that SJ taking some time off and letting his COO take the reigns, while he still calls all of the companies big plays while working from home may imply that the end of apple is near, you probably shouldn't be investing, especially in stock that is $330 a share.

Old 01-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Not too concerned with apple. I used to do stock option trading, but unfortunately did not have the time to focus as much having a full time job.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:41 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by craigm1841
If you think that SJ taking some time off and letting his COO take the reigns, while he still calls all of the companies big plays while working from home may imply that the end of apple is near, you probably shouldn't be investing, especially in stock that is $330 a share.

I certainly don't think that but reading around message boards and the news thats coming out many people are saying bogus like that. So Craig would you keep apple or sell it when tomorrow comes?
Old 01-17-2011, 01:48 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

A thread with stock tips and advice is a good idea. However, if something as small as a medical leave makes you question your investment decisions, maybe you are better off not investing. Stocks (when used properly) are a good semi-long term investment, say 10-15 years. Since the market has never lost money in any 10 years period (including during the Depression)looking at it as a 10 year investment prevents you from worrying about something so silly. Steve Jobs will not be there in 10 years, neither will Bill Gates, neither will most CEO's - ignore them and look at the company's performance
Old 01-17-2011, 01:54 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
A thread with stock tips and advice is a good idea. However, if something as small as a medical leave makes you question your investment decisions, maybe you are better off not investing. Stocks (when used properly) are a good semi-long term investment, say 10-15 years. Since the market has never lost money in any 10 years period (including during the Depression)looking at it as a 10 year investment prevents you from worrying about something so silly. Steve Jobs will not be there in 10 years, neither will Bill Gates, neither will most CEO's - ignore them and look at the company's performance
Once again not that concerned... but what the news and message boards are saying is not looking good for tomorrow.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:54 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
I certainly don't think that but reading around message boards and the news thats coming out many people are saying bogus like that. So Craig would you keep apple or sell it when tomorrow comes?
It depends on your current situation, what you bought-in at, etc.

I personally wouldn't sell. I do not have any apple stock though.

Executives take medical leave all the time, the only reason you know about this is because it is Apple. I wouldnt trust what I read on a message board at all. I have learned the majority of the people in this world are complete and utter fucking morons, and the internet magnifies their stupidity by a gazillion. You need to do your research and make a decision that you feel is best for you- based on your current situation, and what trends in history tell us about situations like this.
Old 01-20-2011, 03:18 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

If you want slow, steady growth, buy companies such as Coke or Walmart. Hi techs will always be too volatile, up or down.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2015 435xi GC

This thread will have to be wayy more active to be relevant... depending on how involved you plan to be, of course... Im a former IR rep for an investment firm who traded exclusively on the TSX. Ive only just diversified to include foreign (NY/London/Frankfurt) components in my portfolio, and with the waves of available information, alongside the the considerable growth of my capital in recent years and wanting sustainable yields, i just feel much more comfortable in the hands of managers and their teams.

As for Apple, I've been hearing alot about their mind-boggling earnings and how they can sustain and exceed current growth (insert cynics here) considering their domestic and international marketshare growth-to-date and potential looking forward... strategists have been going on about $400+ price targets.. the suggestion being, even more gains are on the horizon, no matter who stands at the helm of Apple inc,.. for our U.S investors, ridin' the bull looks tempting, doesnt it??!! (just be careful who you're listening to.. always keep business/personal interests in mind and try to independently research your investments (active and potential) as much as you can)

If constantly being plugged into market research wires isn't your thing, there are lots of "cookie cutter" trading platforms that will keep you as up-to-date as you can handle.. so maybe dishing out a few bucks for an online account would be a nice way to start? i dont know.. dont take advice from me lol

anyway, there are tons of tactics that portfolio managers use to try to determine & stay ahead of market trends, durations, etc.. but take it from me, reading into technical chart patterns is mind-numbingly boring... I couldn't even imagine tracking corporate strategy & development given the competitiveness and scale of your markets.. and since there is so much to consider (including the duration(s) and type(s) of your investment(s) and so on...) there are infinite amnts of variables and consequentially, as much risk involved.. (like pjinca said) it depends how youre looking at the idea of said investments in the first place.

and for full disclosure i do not own Apple.
Old 01-24-2011, 07:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
Concerned about Apple..sell or keep? After today's news . Tomorrow should be quite the day. That mother****er better not die. His future looks bleak. The end is near for Apple? I hope not!

If I remember in January, 2 years ago around this time when Jobs left the stock went down that day but was up the next day. So time will tell .
If I remember correctly, Steve Jobs has a form of Pancreatic cancer - which if true I hate to say is the worst kind of cancer to have. Even so I still wouldn't sell Apple stock at this point - nor would I buy.

Apple has been making innovative products long before SJ took back control of the company and their stock went sky high. Their huge success stems from the iPod and perhaps more importantly, the iTunes software that allowed the easy purchase and transfer of media to it.

However, the competition is catching up. Devices that run Google/Android are posing a serious challenge since they give the end user more freedoms than Apple. I think Apple will continue be a major player as far as media/entertainment devices go. But its still up in the air as far as being a productivity device. Furthermore, I'd question their motive to FINALLY drop their exclusive contract with AT&T and include Verizon which operates on an inferior (but arguably more reliable) network. Has their influence over the telecom industry begun to erode or are they just trying to move more product?

Just my opinion - and I don't own Apple stock either.

Quick Reply: Any of you guys into stocks?