Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Is this allowed ? Is this possible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 06:43 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rent a smartcar!!

DD
Old 10-26-2005, 07:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 26 2005, 09:53 PM
if you don't "seize the moment," them someone else will.

Driving on the excellent highways in Europe is very pleasant. Just stay out of the fast lane unless you are willing to go fast. And, move to the right if someone comes up behind you. I wish these driving conventions would spread to the US.

[snapback]188833[/snapback]
seize the moment, I like that phrase. Pretty much like Hong Kong

Yep, people in North America don't have the mentality to stay out of the passing lane as it is a passing lane I think people in NA should just use it for that and don't block the left lane.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by AC_S5' date='Oct 26 2005, 04:23 PM
[quote name='donv' date='Oct 26 2005, 09:53 PM']

Driving on the excellent highways in Europe is very pleasant. Just stay out of the fast lane unless you are willing to go fast. And, move to the right if someone comes up behind you. I wish these driving conventions would spread to the US.

Yep, people in North America don't have the mentality to stay out of the passing lane as it is a passing lane I think people in NA should just use it for that and don't block the left lane.
[snapback]188863[/snapback]
[/quote]

I think that motorways are not the issue are they are actually good in western europe (except some of the belgian ones ). The problem is really driving in the city with a lot of mobile stuffs coming from every direction and willing to avoid as much as possible any collision!
I also agree with FPJM : Driving in Paris is not enjoyable in comparision because every one is stucked in traffic jams and the nerves are reaching very fast the limit of tolerance! I have driven in Paris for several years and my driving style became really agressive because most of the time, you are obliged to force the way. If you do not beleive me, go on the ring and exit at the porte Maillot direction Place de l'etoile at 6pm during a working day or saturday in winter. Try to go through both the roundabouts to reach the Champs Elys?es and if you survive, ANY situation in ANY city in the world will sounds easy I think! However, you may finish this experience to the next psychiatric cure centre!

CU
Old 10-26-2005, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '06 530i, Titanium Silver, Gray Leather, Sports PKG, Premium PKG, Sound PKG, Cold PKG, STEP Tranny, Power sun shades, fold rear seats, rear seat heating, PDC, Nav

Originally Posted by Doctor Diesel' date='Oct 26 2005, 01:27 AM
[quote name='Alpine545' date='Oct 26 2005, 09:17 AM']how is the traffic in florence?
[snapback]188767[/snapback]

absolute madness.......scooters and smart cars dart about like demons

as we say in the uk

The italian approach to road saftey is to build good hospitals!

DD
[snapback]188768[/snapback]
[/quote]
Sounds like the traffic in Bombay... :'(
Although, there you need to watch out for cow or goat now and then..
Old 10-26-2005, 07:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by Alpine545' date='Oct 26 2005, 01:56 AM
I live in New York. I am scheduled to go to florence at the end of January for 4 months. Is it legal to drive my US Spec 545i in Florence. How can I get it there? Do i need to register for european plates and stuff?
[snapback]188761[/snapback]
I did ED and spent 5 days in Florence. In terms of traffic, I didn't have a problem....

Just keep in mind -
1) There are lots of scooters so check your blind spots often.
2) There are mostly small cars that dart around you and get real close to you on small streets and alleys.
3) If you park on the street, your bumpers might get dinged (same as NYC though).
4) My car wasn't allowed to drive into the central area of the city because I wasn't a resident. I forgot the name of the area. It was on one side of the bridges where the museum, Duomo, and high-end boutiques are. I was told if I cross the bridge, my license plate would be photographed and sent to the authorities for a fine or something.
5) The locals didn't drive as aggressive in the city as I expected actually. It was more the twisty and windy mountain roads where I thought the locals were ballsy. They all drive "spiritedly" in the corners.

Mind you, I keep my car in Manhattan so I'm used to city driving. Just be prepared for the things above, and if you're from Brooklyn, you should be ok.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:42 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG Alpine White/Black Leather, Sport, Logic7, Cold Weather, Navigation

how far is the autobahn from Florence?
Old 10-26-2005, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by Alpine545' date='Oct 26 2005, 10:42 AM
how far is the autobahn from Florence?
[snapback]188920[/snapback]
The Autobahn is in Germany, so its 5 hours away.
The highways in Italy are called the Autostrada.

FYI: ppl drive faster on the Autostrada than on the Autobahn!
Old 10-26-2005, 09:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG Alpine White/Black Leather, Sport, Logic7, Cold Weather, Navigation

awesome!! anyone ever ship their car over the atlantic? how much did it cost?
Old 10-26-2005, 11:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Sep. 2005 build, silver gray/gray/black anthracite, Steptronic, Premium, Premium Sound, NAV, PDC.
Model Year: 2006

My $0.02 on driving in Europe: I drove in Sicily for two weeks back in May of this year, and have previously driven in the UK, France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, (going way back). On balance I think Europeans are better drivers than Americans because they are consistent/predictable, the obey some common-sense and courteous conventions, and they pay attention. Stay out of the passing lane if there is more than one lane, unless you're passing, and make it quick. I second other comments about seizing the moment, not hesitating, but that doesn't mean you can't let someone in from a side road or slow down for a pedestrian. It's very bad form to hit one. Obey the priority in roundabouts. And you probably don't want to spend much time driving on trips within a city. You can walk across Florence easily, a lot of the central city is closed to traffic, and it's not easy to park anywhere near where you want to be. Good luck, have fun, you're in one of the most beautiful parts of a beautiful country, and you will enjoy driving out of town onto country roads.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:05 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by AC_S5' date='Oct 26 2005, 10:23 AM
[quote name='donv' date='Oct 26 2005, 09:53 PM']

[snapback]188863[/snapback]
[/quote]I think that many in the US think that driving in the left lane is an entitlement given that they are going the speed limit (and some below the speed limit). I believe that their justification is likely to be that those going faster than the speed limit should not be. But, their behavior will not change how others drive and is likely to provoke those wanting to pass into dangerous behavior. And, some of those driving slowly in the left lane are just oblivious.

Another interesting US driving habit, apparently for some, is that if using cruise, then it is OK to move in front of, or behind, others, no matter how tight the space, to avoid having to go off cruise for a few moments.

Quick Reply: Is this allowed ? Is this possible?