Lounge How was your day? Anything goes but please keep it PG-13!

Is this allowed ? Is this possible?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 11:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i SMG Alpine White/Black Leather, Sport, Logic7, Cold Weather, Navigation

I live in New York. I am scheduled to go to florence at the end of January for 4 months. Is it legal to drive my US Spec 545i in Florence. How can I get it there? Do i need to register for european plates and stuff?
Old 10-26-2005, 12:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

it is legal and you do not need to register for such a short period of time

you will maybe need to pay for local driving insurance which is given by law and it is no big bucks

I see US spec cars with US licence plates to drive around every so often
around here.

I think the limit without any local registration and licence plates is up to 6 months. So you will simply just a turist driving by

however are you sure you want to pay for the shipping to Europe and back only for 4 months? Also driving in Italy and specialy big cities is crazy with no rules and I would be afraid that your bumper will get hit .....

Maybe a local longterm rental is a way to go.....
Old 10-26-2005, 12:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG Alpine White/Black Leather, Sport, Logic7, Cold Weather, Navigation

how is the traffic in florence?
Old 10-26-2005, 12:27 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Alpine545' date='Oct 26 2005, 09:17 AM
how is the traffic in florence?
[snapback]188767[/snapback]

absolute madness.......scooters and smart cars dart about like demons

as we say in the uk

The italian approach to road saftey is to build good hospitals!

DD
Old 10-26-2005, 02:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by Doctor Diesel' date='Oct 26 2005, 09:27 AM
[quote name='Alpine545' date='Oct 26 2005, 09:17 AM']how is the traffic in florence?
[snapback]188767[/snapback]

absolute madness.......scooters and smart cars dart about like demons

as we say in the uk

The italian approach to road saftey is to build good hospitals!

DD
[snapback]188768[/snapback]
[/quote]

I agree with the upper statement, with the 6 months limit and the long term rental.
If you insurrance company accept to cover the risk in Italy, I think it is the best.
I think insurrance company for a given country are not allowed to inssure a car having plates in another country but not sure about that...
Old 10-26-2005, 03:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530i Steptronic, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Sport Pkg, Comfort Seats, Navigation, Logic 7, Sapphire Black, Black Leather, Anthracite Trim, IPOD Integration Produced Sept 5, 2005 CIP 24

I am in the US Army and stationed in Germany....I have a 530i and will not drive it to Italy for anything.....The traffic and driving styles there really suck. It is like nothing you have ever seen or experienced. You would be nuts to drive a 545i there. Your best bet is to rent a car for the time you are there. I can't say you will save money by renting a car, as car rentals in Europe are no bargain, but you will save headaches and aggravation.

N

Originally Posted by Alpine545' date='Oct 26 2005, 10:56 AM
I live in New York. I am scheduled to go to florence at the end of January for 4 months. Is it legal to drive my US Spec 545i in Florence. How can I get it there? Do i need to register for european plates and stuff?
[snapback]188761[/snapback]
Old 10-26-2005, 03:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Yeah that's why the movie is call Italian Job, not because they did it in Italy but because of the driving style.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 535 D - to be delivered end Feb 2005 - color E08 - comfort seats - executive leather balck - 122 wheels - dynamic drive - active steering - pack luxe - tecnology pack - moon roof - 6CD player - hifi system - spare wheel - BT phone

I fully agree that going a long term rental should be the best.

Regarding the trafic in Florence: do not overestimate it especally coming from NYC.

Yes it i faster, yes it requires attention to scoter but it is a real driving experience and coming back home, your danger awerness will be much more acurate...

Living close toParis, I enjoy much better to drive in Italy than in France.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by FJPM' date='Oct 26 2005, 08:36 AM
I fully agree that? going a long term rental should be the best.

Regarding the trafic in Florence: do not overestimate it especally coming from NYC.

Yes it i faster, yes it requires attention to scoter but it is a real driving experience and coming back home, your danger awerness will be much more acurate...

Living close toParis, I enjoy much better to drive in Italy than in France.
[snapback]188828[/snapback]
I am sort of alone here. I have driven in both Italy and France on numerous ocassions, but, in terms of larger cities, only Paris, Genoa, Nice, and Monte Carlo. I have not had a problem in any of these places. I actually like driving it them, but definitely not in my own car.

I like the driving style in Europe; it is aggressive, but not malicious. It mainly implies that he who hesitates is lost. Meaning that if you don't "seize the moment," them someone else will. I especially have driven over much of France--to small villages and medium sized towns--no problems.

Driving on the excellent highways in Europe is very pleasant. Just stay out of the fast lane unless you are willing to go fast. And, move to the right if someone comes up behind you. I wish these driving conventions would spread to the US.

But, I emphasize that I would not want to drive my own car in many places in Europe. Parking especially can lead easily to bumps and dings. But, interestingly, none of our rentals have ever been bumped or dinged, and I park them with reckless abandon. Note that all the parking opportunities in Europe are not bad.
Old 10-26-2005, 06:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '06 530i, white/beige, premiun package, clear bra, red rear reflectors

I would not drive in european big cities, it is crazy. I usually rent a car, prices are better than in USA, and drive in the smaller cities, when entering the big ones
I park the car in the hotel and take taxis, buses, subways.

Quick Reply: Is this allowed ? Is this possible?