F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Winter driving chaos - help required

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530D M Sport E60, media pack, bluetooth, pro nav system

Originally Posted by Ricracing
Hell no, all tires need to be winters. Here in the Nordic countries you get a fine for mixed tires.
And that's for a very good reason!

I drive now with OEM 18? V-Spoke 328 Wheels with Michelin X-Ice x12 non-RF Tires 245/45 Front and Rear!
Jesus Ric, talk about miss quoting someone, if you had included the whole QUOTE, I went on to say get four tyres....
And for the record, I did run my golf with winter tyres on the front only on my golf, never, not once did I have any trouble with snow tyres on the front only on that car, but lets not forget where talking about a front wheel drive car here, not rear wheel drive, and I can also understand why you would be fined (with good reason ) for mixing tyres, but rearwheel drive put on four tyres.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Members

My Ride: F11 523i MSport Touring, Space Grey matallic - Black Dakota leather - Sport automatic transmission - Roof rails. High-gloss Shadowline - Extended storage - Ext. mirrors - folding. auto dimming - Seat heating. front - Sun protection glass - Visibility package - Media package - BMW Business Advanced

Just to chime in on the winter tyre debate, I'm in the same situation, lease car, no option to fit winter tyres. Like the whole snow chain idea... Should be much cheaper... Although must remember to make this mistake... My link (not sure on what the policy of posting links is, if it not allowed. Sorry, but there are some stupid people in the world!!!!
Old 12-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Originally Posted by Matt01
Just to chime in on the winter tyre debate, I'm in the same situation, lease car, no option to fit winter tyres. Like the whole snow chain idea... Should be much cheaper...
I got my 5er winter tires myself when it was still a leasecar, why wouldn't that be an option?

Originally Posted by Matt01
Although must remember to make this mistake... My link (not sure on what the policy of posting links is, if it not allowed. Sorry, but there are some stupid people in the world!!!!
Saw that pic all over the net. In all seriousness: what if the 1 driver just drove there from higher up in the mountains? I.e. was going downhill most of the time, in that case it can be very helpful to have the chains on the front wheels, even with a RWD. So perhaps not so stupid after all...
Old 12-23-2010, 12:07 AM
Contributors

What has leasing the car got to do with buying or not buying winter tires?

It is like saying - if i lease the car, why should i pay for fuel, or heck insurance?

Leasing the car means you are financing the car in a different way. You still pay for tear and wear; and considering the weather in europe, part of the tear and wear are the winter tires one have to buy.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Originally Posted by rsyed
What has leasing the car got to do with buying or not buying winter tires?

It is like saying - if i lease the car, why should i pay for fuel, or heck insurance?

Leasing the car means you are financing the car in a different way. You still pay for tear and wear; and considering the weather in europe, part of the tear and wear are the winter tires one have to buy.
They probably refer to a company lease car, very common here. It essentially leads to people not caring for their car very much since the boss pays it anyways and the lease company will take it back after the lease expires.
Old 12-23-2010, 01:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dayvboyc
Jay, if you get the snow socks how will you manage to do doughnuts round the Hollywoods car park to impress the 'ladies'?
Lol, that's my weekends out then Well I will have to take turns with the wife as she likes driving our e60 as much as me lol

Originally Posted by jmemahoney
Would you put snow socks on permanently? Not sure how long they would last... If not, black ice etc. may jump up and bite you when you least expect it...

Hmm I think you can keep them on and drive up to about 40mph, but I know when it snowed and the traction was really bad people didnt go above 20 -30mph even on dual carriage ways so maybe you could use them till the roads are better to drive on

have a look at this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ku9L785XvnQ

Originally Posted by ddddd
Just don't do anything like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eidy0Sc0O9E

Ouch!
Old 12-23-2010, 02:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 530D Touring M Sport F11 Sport Auto Carbon Black Black Dakota Leather Fineline Anthracite Sun Protection Glass Vis Pack Media Pack Pro

Originally Posted by Theo
They probably refer to a company lease car, very common here. It essentially leads to people not caring for their car very much since the boss pays it anyways and the lease company will take it back after the lease expires.

That's probably a bit unfair! In the UK it is common for companies to provide leased company cars. The lease includes all maintanance costs including brakes, windscreen wipers, tyres etc. In this case, I think the point is that if you go and spend >£1,000 on new alloys/tyres you are essentially subsidising the lease company as there will be less wear on the summer tyres.

IMHO, UK motoring organisations need to start lobbying both government (to legislate) and fleet/lease/insurance companies (to educate).

Sorry, I'm new to forums so go gently! I responded to the wrong quote - meant "What has leasing the car got to do with buying or not buying winter tires?
Leasing the car means you are financing the car in a different way. You still pay for tear and wear; and considering the weather in europe, part of the tear and wear are the winter tires one have to buy. "
Old 12-23-2010, 03:29 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jmemahoney
That's probably a bit unfair! In the UK it is common for companies to provide leased company cars. The lease includes all maintanance costs including brakes, windscreen wipers, tyres etc. In this case, I think the point is that if you go and spend >£1,000 on new alloys/tyres you are essentially subsidising the lease company as there will be less wear on the summer tyres.

IMHO, UK motoring organisations need to start lobbying both government (to legislate) and fleet/lease/insurance companies (to educate).

Sorry, I'm new to forums so go gently! I responded to the wrong quote - meant "What has leasing the car got to do with buying or not buying winter tires?
Leasing the car means you are financing the car in a different way. You still pay for tear and wear; and considering the weather in europe, part of the tear and wear are the winter tires one have to buy. "
i don't see it like this: is a child seat included in the lease payments? why should you subsidize the lease companies buy not wearing out the leather by using the child seat? I assume the child seat is part of the law.

Bottom line; how much do the winter wheels cost? let us say 1500 pounds. you use them for 3 years and when you return your car, you can sell the wheels for say 750 pounds - this amounts to 750 pounds of total cost. Add 91 pounds from interest you could have gotten on the 1500 if it was sitting on your bank accoutn for 3 years - so a totla 840 pounds over 3 years, amouting to 280 pounds a year. This is an amount I am willing to pay for safety in winter. In fact, how much is your deductable from your insurance if something were to happen iwnter?
Old 12-23-2010, 06:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530D M Sport E60, media pack, bluetooth, pro nav system

i don't see it like this: is a child seat included in the lease payments? why should you subsidize the lease companies buy not wearing out the leather by using the child seat? I assume the child seat is part of the law.

Bottom line; how much do the winter wheels cost? let us say 1500 pounds. you use them for 3 years and when you return your car, you can sell the wheels for say 750 pounds - this amounts to 750 pounds of total cost. Add 91 pounds from interest you could have gotten on the 1500 if it was sitting on your bank accoutn for 3 years - so a totla 840 pounds over 3 years, amouting to 280 pounds a year. This is an amount I am willing to pay for safety in winter. In fact, how much is your deductable from your insurance if something were to happen iwnter?
+1
Old 12-23-2010, 09:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 530D Touring M Sport F11 Sport Auto Carbon Black Black Dakota Leather Fineline Anthracite Sun Protection Glass Vis Pack Media Pack Pro

Not sure I understand the comparison with the child seat. However, you are preaching to the converted about winter tyres - I have them and would get them even if I still had a lease car.

Your numbers look attractive but probably not realistic. Most company car users drive over 20,000 miles a year and will get though about 4 sets of tyres over a 3 year lease. If 5/12 of this is on winter tyres (Nov to March), you will be paying just under half of this. Plus winter tyres should be replaced at 4mm. At nearly £200 a tyre it soon adds up. I'd also be suprised if you managed to retain 50% of the wheel value after 3 years...Bear in mind that you/your company have already paid for the tyres and you are actually paying twice. The lease companies need to wake up or one of them should break with the pack...

Quick Reply: Winter driving chaos - help required