F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Winter driving chaos - help required

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 07:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: f10 520da - 328 wheels, ambient lighting, sport s-wheel, oyster/black, fineline anthracite, Sophisto Gray

Originally Posted by higher
I am in UK also and there is a big debate about winter tyres here. Insurance companies actually penalise, some folks for fitting winter tyres !! can you believe it ? Honestly, though it is rare.

Usually in UK winters are cold /wet with 3-7 degress in day and 2 or -5 evening. This last three years we had snow and -8 or -10 even minus 20 degrees. Government stopped gritting roads - to conserve supplies...! for what ? bad weather..unbelievable.

At the moment I won't even go out in my E61 on summer tyres (no chance). Thinking about snow chains or boots and maybe winter tyres for an old Passatt that we run. That way we have fully equired winter car.

Now, I am not worried about myself driving in winter, but others are driving like it's mid-summer and that is scary !! Because two cars going 30mph,hit each other that's like driving into a brick-wall at 60mph.

One question, can you mix summer and winter tyres ? Winter on rear wheels summer on front ? Sound like a bad idea, but curious. Or for some real fun mix then diagonally...Ha !
Any ideas on mixing tyres?

the weather is ok here today, so everything is back to normal.

Another photo from one of my friends who seems to have taken up a new hobby of photographing crashed BMW's to cheer me up
Attached Thumbnails Winter driving chaos - help required-162752_479703909522_554064522_5499154_713975_n.jpg  
Old 12-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 525i

Mixing is a very bad idea

Originally Posted by dayvboyc

the weather is ok here today, so everything is back to normal.

Another photo from one of my friends who seems to have taken up a new hobby of photographing crashed BMW's to cheer me up
Old 12-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530D M Sport E60, media pack, bluetooth, pro nav system

I had two tyres on the front only on my golf and it was fine, but I'd be hesitant about only putting them on the rear (obviously) of the bimmer, the idea is the compound (on winter, m/s tyres) works in cold conditions, so if you go back to your last post with the 3 series stuffed into the lampost, no snow tyres on the front, but snow tyre on the rear, front tyres doing the stopping, can you see were I'm going with this........ :thumbsdown:

dayvboyc, I know there not cheap, I really do (£670 for my four) but they've paid for themselves this year, truely, and i should get a few more years out of em
Old 12-22-2010, 08:48 AM
Contributors

Has anyone tried snow socks? I have heard they should help give you traction, obviously not winter tyres but some people I have spoken to swear buy them..
Old 12-22-2010, 09:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Ric, I work for the insurance company so in truth that is cheaper!
For you!
Old 12-22-2010, 09:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by wickster
I had two tyres on the front only on my golf and it was fine
Hell no, all tires need to be winters. Here in the Nordic countries you get a fine for mixed tires.
And that's for a very good reason!

I drive now with OEM 18? V-Spoke 328 Wheels with Michelin X-Ice x12 non-RF Tires 245/45 Front and Rear!
Old 12-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Members

My Ride: f10 520da - 328 wheels, ambient lighting, sport s-wheel, oyster/black, fineline anthracite, Sophisto Gray

Originally Posted by jay77
Has anyone tried snow socks? I have heard they should help give you traction, obviously not winter tyres but some people I have spoken to swear buy them..

Jay, if you get the snow socks how will you manage to do doughnuts round the Hollywoods car park to impress the 'ladies'?
Old 12-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 530D Touring M Sport F11 Sport Auto Carbon Black Black Dakota Leather Fineline Anthracite Sun Protection Glass Vis Pack Media Pack Pro

Would you put snow socks on permanently? Not sure how long they would last... If not, black ice etc. may jump up and bite you when you least expect it...
Old 12-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Senior Members

That would be a very bad idea....
Old 12-22-2010, 02:01 PM
Members

Just don't do anything like this:

Quick Reply: Winter driving chaos - help required