F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Winter driving chaos - help required

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 10:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gabman
If you are going to attempt to drive on all season or summer tires good luck, but if you do, I suggest from a standing stop you press very gently on the gas peddle and only once the car begins to move(if it even does) and the traction control light does not come on can you give it a bit more gas, but seriously, I would not attempt to drive this car without winter tires on. With the investment you have made in your lease, it would be a shame to have to fix the car and repaint the portion that gets damaged in an accident.
+1000
I'm living in a part of the world where we have snowy winter roads from late november until march. Here it's mandated by law to have M S tires whenever there's "winter conditions".
A pretty unnecessary law because it would be absolutely crazy to hit the roads here without proper winter tires. The difference is HUGE!
A word of warning: Getting a 4x4 beater isn't going to help much, sure you'll get traction enough to start off, but you will still have no traction at all when you have to stop the vehicle.
You will, without a doubt, end up in an accident or better, only slide off the road.

My advice is: Get a set of nordic M+S tires or take the bus.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-21-2010, 12:03 AM
Members

My Ride: f10 520da - 328 wheels, ambient lighting, sport s-wheel, oyster/black, fineline anthracite, Sophisto Gray

thanks for all the advice

attached is a picture one of my friends took yesterday of a not so lucky 5 driver

new pants?
Attached Thumbnails Winter driving chaos - help required-164009_479007769522_554064522_5488052_592696_n.jpg  
Old 12-21-2010, 09:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by dayvboyc
Ric, a few years ago I was lucky enough to travel to Ivalo testworld to undertake winter tyre testing (my job used to be far more exciting) and fully understand the benefits of the softer rubber. Problem is we only really have snow for a few days per year and I just can't justify the expense.

Do you drive your in "d" or used the manual mode? if so what gear are you pulling away in?
Yes, I understand you. Maybe M/S tires in the future?

I drive as usual in "D" but now and then the DTC (Dynamic Traction Control - former DST) is needed.
One short push at the DSC buttom activates it.

PS. About the pic above. What is cheaper - that or a set of nice winters?
Old 12-21-2010, 09:55 AM
Members

My Ride: f10 520da - 328 wheels, ambient lighting, sport s-wheel, oyster/black, fineline anthracite, Sophisto Gray

Originally Posted by Ricracing
Yes, I understand you. Maybe M/S tires in the future?

I drive as usual in "D" but now and then the DTC (Dynamic Traction Control - former DST) is needed.
One short push at the DSC buttom activates it.

PS. About the pic above. What is cheaper - that or a set of nice winters?
Ric, I work for the insurance company so in truth that is cheaper!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:07 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 525i

even if you break your head or cause an injury to your spouse/friend/child?

Originally Posted by dayvboyc
Ric, I work for the insurance company so in truth that is cheaper!
Old 12-21-2010, 11:33 AM
Senior Members

Question

I am in UK also and there is a big debate about winter tyres here. Insurance companies actually penalise, some folks for fitting winter tyres !! can you believe it ? Honestly, though it is rare.

Usually in UK winters are cold /wet with 3-7 degress in day and 2 or -5 evening. This last three years we had snow and -8 or -10 even minus 20 degrees. Government stopped gritting roads - to conserve supplies...! for what ? bad weather..unbelievable.

At the moment I won't even go out in my E61 on summer tyres (no chance). Thinking about snow chains or boots and maybe winter tyres for an old Passatt that we run. That way we have fully equired winter car.

Now, I am not worried about myself driving in winter, but others are driving like it's mid-summer and that is scary !! Because two cars going 30mph,hit each other that's like driving into a brick-wall at 60mph.

One question, can you mix summer and winter tyres ? Winter on rear wheels summer on front ? Sound like a bad idea, but curious. Or for some real fun mix then diagonally...Ha !
Old 12-21-2010, 12:46 PM
Senior Members

For your safety and the others on the road - buy some wintertires.

The difference is HUGE.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 530D Touring M Sport F11 Sport Auto Carbon Black Black Dakota Leather Fineline Anthracite Sun Protection Glass Vis Pack Media Pack Pro

Like I said, winter tyres make a massive difference (I went out today in my wife's A4 (2WD) with Micheline Alpines on compacted snow and ice. Great grip, even under braking. But I understand your predicament - it's a company car and why should you shell out for tyres that they should pay for?

It might take a few years but it seems this year there is a slight shift in the UK attitude to winter tyres. BMW have started offering the winter wheel/tyre package (£1,400) and Kwik Fit have started to offer a winter tyre swap/storage scheme for fleets. Insurance companies should start offering discounts (Churchill have a section on their site recommending the use of M&S tyres bit no mention of a discount...).
Old 12-21-2010, 11:27 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Originally Posted by E60Sim
For your safety and the others on the road - buy some wintertires.

The difference is HUGE.
+1

Don't forget to take into account that the only definitive costs you'll incur will be the changing/balancing of the winter wheels. You'll be able to sell your winter set for around the new price next winter when supply is low again and demand high.

So the only way you're funding the lease company i that their tires don't wear while your set is mounted... big deal while you and your family can drive safely.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530D M Sport E60, media pack, bluetooth, pro nav system

I invested in a set of Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme's last febuary, I had them on the car for a month before I put my summer tyres back on, so I really didn't notice a differance other then a few times in slushy conditions. I put the tyres back on at the end of november, (about a week before the snow, I got lucky for a change) What a differance, my 530 was a nightmare the previous year, but this year its not got stuck once, it passes front wheel drive cars struggling up hills without braking a sweat. Ive had snow tyres before on my golf when I lived in Pennsylvania and they went anywhere, so I knew the benefits. But I didn't expect them to make such a differance as they have.
As someone said earlier, you can sell them the following year and get your money back.

Get some.....

Quick Reply: Winter driving chaos - help required