F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Will we see a correction by BMW with the F10 like we did with the E60

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 08:48 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by 550isport
My original post posed the question of whether BMW would fine tune the F10 to replace some of it's luxuriousness with more sportiness. I really enjoyed reading all the responses even from the angry banned guy (although he was wrong about the exhaust). So to respond with the benefit of hindsight, I don't think BMW are going to change a thing about the new 5. Its everywhere on the streets of connecticut. The board at BMW must be smitten. My guess in explaining the sales success is that there are always people who want to haves their cake and eat it too. They want abs without working out, a promotion without putting in overtime, a trophy wife that's frugal and faithful!! and of course a legendary sports car that's comfortable. Porsche does it with the cayenne and now BMW is doing it with several models. They're selling a badge & mistique forged by decades of calculated compromise and focused engineering paired to a product that was designed to impress the average, lay, non-enthusiast but plentiful consumer. The new BMWs are the cars that people thought you were driving when you rolled around in your 2001 530i, or 1999 540i with driving gloves on. BMW stopped using the formula that made them famous and simply designed cars around the answer to the following question: what are most buyers of imported luxury cars looking for? If this lay consumer driven brand direction goes on too long it will irreparably dilute the reputation that took so long to build and enshrine. The f10 is already loosing car magazine comparisons and it's new!

I too would look to Audi instead of BMW when the lease is up. They seem to still be pursuing the goal of becoming BMW circa 2001.

In conclusion, I don't think the regular F10 will be changed much. It's selling too well. But what of the core within the core - the M customers!! They won't be distracted by horsepower, that's AMGs calling card. I don't think the heavy F10 m5 will be well received regardless of how quickly it gets roux the ring. It heavvvvvy which cannot be ignored. So i'll wait to see if this prediction comes true - repeat m5 owners will be moving over to m3 sedans.

DRP

I agree that there won't be significant changes to the F10 until a complete model makeover comes along in about 4-5 years. Why should there be? It's selling well.

Yes, the F10 is heavy but the whole weight issue, to me, is overblown. The F10 is not the only "heavy" new model car out there.....so are most new models. The important factor, in my opionion, is power-to-weight ratio. As long as you have a powerful enough engine, capable chassis, and the right tires, performance is not an issue. This is especially true in the case of the F10 550i...it has enormous power and torque which more than makes up for its weight. As a previous owner of an E60 545i, I can honestly say that my F10 550i is just as capable in the handling department (if not more) and as far as speed and acceleration is concerned, it's no contest!
Old 07-12-2011, 10:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by Petes550i
I agree that there won't be significant changes to the F10 until a complete model makeover comes along in about 4-5 years. Why should there be? It's selling well.

Yes, the F10 is heavy but the whole weight issue, to me, is overblown. The F10 is not the only "heavy" new model car out there.....so are most new models. The important factor, in my opionion, is power-to-weight ratio. As long as you have a powerful enough engine, capable chassis, and the right tires, performance is not an issue. This is especially true in the case of the F10 550i...it has enormous power and torque which more than makes up for its weight. As a previous owner of an E60 545i, I can honestly say that my F10 550i is just as capable in the handling department (if not more) and as far as speed and acceleration is concerned, it's no contest!
The F10 will be facelifted after 3 years (2014) and the new 5-series will be introduced in 2017.

If you compare weights between the F10, Audi A6 and M-B E-classe you can notice that the F10 is not heavier than the competition. All luxury sedans are heavier than they used to be. But also very much safter and luxurios.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Well pennetta. How much does your new E550 cab weigh?
Old 07-31-2011, 02:49 PM
Senior Members

Get the M suspension. An engine with lots of torque. 20" rims. And press the Sport button.

Problem solved.

Old 07-31-2011, 06:36 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Ricracing
The E350 cab weighs less than a 535i. The E550 cab, which I am not sure is available for 2012, weighed less than a 550.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:50 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by Ricracing
The point being that in this day and age, we should be seeing weight reductions throughout advanced technology and advanced materials. Adding 10% to the weight of a new car is not the direction I want for my performance orientated sports sedan. If MB increases the weight of my E550 Cab by 10%, then I will be complaining too.
Here are the specs from C&D: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...st?redirect=no
Old 08-01-2011, 05:18 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Edit. Posted in wrong thread.
Old 09-22-2011, 09:36 PM
Banned

Your observation is correct. There have been many of us here in this forum that we were on May 4, the series is to our fifth. F10 prompts us to make or model, because it has become a mini-7-series, was heavier, and the body more mainstream. It was not faster, even if the upgrade of power, and is treated worse because of more than 400 pounds.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i M-Sport xDrive
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by IndiaDrives
Your observation is correct. There have been many of us here in this forum that we were on May 4, the series is to our fifth. F10 prompts us to make or model, because it has become a mini-7-series, was heavier, and the body more mainstream. It was not faster, even if the upgrade of power, and is treated worse because of more than 400 pounds.
Wrong. Inspite of the weight increase, F10 550 is noticeably faster than e60 550.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:06 PM
New Members

Wow....

I wonder how many of us have really taken these cars up to their handling potential. I used to teach high-speed driving at Road Atlanta during Porsche DE's and found that nearly every owner never came close to the car's potential in day to day driving, even if they took the cars to the mountains and let loose. My new 550i is bigger than my turbo Porsche and although I've not taken it to the track yet, I can tell it has the right elements to handle all the streets Atlanta and North Georgia can throw at it. Granted, I don't like all the body roll, but I think I can get some nice 22+mm sway bars to fit and fix that. In addition, the run flats will go as soon possible in favor of some real performance tires. Other than that, the geometry is great, power is linear (450 lb ft of torque at 1,800 rpm - are you kidding me?), steering is positive with excellent feedback, great torsional rigidity, a real LSD, an incredible 8 sp sport tranny, no bump steer (zero, zip, nada), high speed handling is top notch and safety features are great. Anyway, the previous 5 series cars must have been incredible for all the negative notes on the new models. Even with my decade of actual track experience, I can say the 550i is living up to everything I can throw at it on the street. Not to mention I am averaging 23 mpg around town.

Quick Reply: Will we see a correction by BMW with the F10 like we did with the E60