F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Will we see a correction by BMW with the F10 like we did with the E60

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 03:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 550i, Black Saphire, Black Nappa leather, Anthracite headliner, Convenience Pkg, Premium Pkg #2, Sport Pkg, Sport Auto, delivered 6/24/10 2011 X5 xDrive 35i Sport Activity, Black Sapphire, Black Nappa, Convenience Pkg. M Sport Pkg, Technology Pkg. Comfort Access, Satellite Radio, Premium hi-fi system, delivered 4/26/10 Previous BMWs 2006 550i 2001 330ci 2003 745Li 2000 M5 2000 540i

Originally Posted by pennetta
Your observation is correct. There were many of us here on this board that were on our fourth 5 series going into our fifth. The F10 pushed us to different brands or models because it became a mini-7 series, it was heavier and the body more mainstream. It wasn't any faster despite a power upgrade and it handled worse because of an extra 400 lbs.
I think BMW deduced that we were all poorer versions of people that really wanted a 7 series, they traded the "Ultimate Driving Machine" for the "Joy" tag line.

Couldn't agree more. Can't get to the point where I enjoy the F10.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:54 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Why, oh why won't BMW listen to its customers? I would pay $5K more to get non-run-flat tires and corresponding suspension and spare tire. Why won't they make that an option? As much as I hate to even contemplate it, my next car will NOT be a BMW, unless I can find one with the regular tires and spare. Looks like my days as a BMW owner are counted.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by porsche911targa
As much as I hate to even contemplate it, my next car will NOT be a BMW, unless I can find one with the regular tires and spare. Looks like my days as a BMW owner are counted.
+1. After five 5ers, I'm seriously considering the Audi S4. A bit small for me, but not over-bloated and soft like the F10.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by hinckley
+1. After five 5ers, I'm seriously considering the Audi S4. A bit small for me, but not over-bloated and soft like the F10.
The S4 is overpriced for what you get (typical of most Audi's). I would get the M3 instead if you want more sport.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:22 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Retired 2008 535i Titanium-silver with sport, premium, steptronic, NAV, HUD Retired 2006 525i

Couldn't agree more with the F10 being bloated, heavy and numb.

So after retiring my E60 535i sport with 95,000 miles, I got me self a E92 M3!!!! Love it.

But I still miss the comfort and practicality of the 5 series. And ofcourse the HUD. I just could not bring myself to get the F10. I really do hope they fix the steering and add the side bolsters on the comfort seats.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by juventus
Couldn't agree more with the F10 being bloated, heavy and numb.

So after retiring my E60 535i sport with 95,000 miles, I got me self a E92 M3!!!! Love it.

But I still miss the comfort and practicality of the 5 series. And ofcourse the HUD. I just could not bring myself to get the F10. I really do hope they fix the steering and add the side bolsters on the comfort seats.
Welcome to the M3 family!!

Edit: Post some pics in the "Other BMW Models" forum...
Old 05-12-2011, 03:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Retired 2008 535i Titanium-silver with sport, premium, steptronic, NAV, HUD Retired 2006 525i

Originally Posted by kscarrol
Welcome to the M3 family!!

Edit: Post some pics in the "Other BMW Models" forum...

Thank you very much. Hope you guys' would tolerate my showing off on "the Other BMW Models"!!!!!
Old 05-16-2011, 12:55 PM
Members

My Ride: 2009 535XI, Barbera Red with beige leather, Navigation, premium package, cold weather package, 18 inch wheels, 2007 530XI, Monaco Blue with Auburn leather , Navigation, Logic 7, premium package, cold weather package, M-Aero kit, Rear Spoiler, 18 inch 135m style wheels, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS D3's, AngeliBrights. 2008 650i convertible Titaniun Silver Chateau pearl leather,Gray top, cold weather package, Logic 7 premium sound, comfort access.

I'm getting my 550i in a few days and while I agree that run flats suck, I'll look forward to wearing them out quickly, order a mini spare from Tire rack and then have fun with some great replacement tires. I already have winter tires and rims from my 2009 535 that fit. I've upgraded the tires and rims on my last two 5 series and if it makes half as much of a difference with the F10 as it did with the E60's then the car just may be a real surpise. The steering didn't feel numb as some magazines reported but I have the xdrive that always feels heavier. I'm happy that BMW makes a 'practical' driving machine for us snowbound folks. The car is fun all year long with the right tires.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i Black Sapphire / Beige / Sport Pkg / NAV / Rear Shade

Originally Posted by pennetta
Your observation is correct. There were many of us here on this board that were on our fourth 5 series going into our fifth. The F10 pushed us to different brands or models because it became a mini-7 series, it was heavier and the body more mainstream. It wasn't any faster despite a power upgrade and it handled worse because of an extra 400 lbs.
I think BMW deduced that we were all poorer versions of people that really wanted a 7 series, they traded the "Ultimate Driving Machine" for the "Joy" tag line.
I really agree with this as well. Last week, I had my E60 in for a detail and the body shop ACCIDENTALLY backed another car into the front fender. ARGH! But at least they gave me an F10 to use as a loaner while they fixed the car. OK, the loaner is a 528 so I can't compare acceleration to my 545, but man this car feels so sloppy handling wise! It feels so big, I can't see over the hood as well, cornering is something that makes me worry I'm going to throw out the rear, it just plain feels HEAVY! It looks so much like the 7 also, I feel it's completely lost any "nimble sports sedan" look to it... I am NOT giving up my E60 for this!
Old 07-11-2011, 09:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

My original post posed the question of whether BMW would fine tune the F10 to replace some of it's luxuriousness with more sportiness. I really enjoyed reading all the responses even from the angry banned guy (although he was wrong about the exhaust). So to respond with the benefit of hindsight, I don't think BMW are going to change a thing about the new 5. Its everywhere on the streets of connecticut. The board at BMW must be smitten. My guess in explaining the sales success is that there are always people who want to haves their cake and eat it too. They want abs without working out, a promotion without putting in overtime, a trophy wife that's frugal and faithful!! and of course a legendary sports car that's comfortable. Porsche does it with the cayenne and now BMW is doing it with several models. They're selling a badge & mistique forged by decades of calculated compromise and focused engineering paired to a product that was designed to impress the average, lay, non-enthusiast but plentiful consumer. The new BMWs are the cars that people thought you were driving when you rolled around in your 2001 530i, or 1999 540i with driving gloves on. BMW stopped using the formula that made them famous and simply designed cars around the answer to the following question: what are most buyers of imported luxury cars looking for? If this lay consumer driven brand direction goes on too long it will irreparably dilute the reputation that took so long to build and enshrine. The f10 is already loosing car magazine comparisons and it's new!

I too would look to Audi instead of BMW when the lease is up. They seem to still be pursuing the goal of becoming BMW circa 2001.

In conclusion, I don't think the regular F10 will be changed much. It's selling too well. But what of the core within the core - the M customers!! They won't be distracted by horsepower, that's AMGs calling card. I don't think the heavy F10 m5 will be well received regardless of how quickly it gets roux the ring. It heavvvvvy which cannot be ignored. So i'll wait to see if this prediction comes true - repeat m5 owners will be moving over to m3 sedans.

DRP

Quick Reply: Will we see a correction by BMW with the F10 like we did with the E60