F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Will we see a correction by BMW with the F10 like we did with the E60

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Follow me on this one for a minute. E38 7 series, by most accounts was a great BMW in that it was as big, comfortable and luxurious as an S class, but significantly more engaging to drive. Mission accomplished. Then BMW F.U.B.A.Rs the next gen. 7 series, the E65 in 2003. The car is a barge. But aside from the perplexing tech, polarizing styling and massive size, the REAL problem was that it wasn't a great drive initially. It's well documented in all the magazines around the time of launch. BMW sacrificed too much of its famous handling genetics to luxury. So what happened? For those of you who really follow closely, you'll remember that BMW corrected quite a few issues with the LCI car. Most significantly, widening the rear track (a major change for a "refresh") and stiffening up even the base chassis.

I kept tabs on all this because I had a 2001 740i sport from 01-05'. It was sublime, and regrettably never replicated with the E65 sport pack. My solution was to buy a 550i sport since it was almost the same size as the 740i and much lighter than the then current 750i.

I got a 2007 550i PRE-LCI!! Ooops. Why oops? After having the car for just a month or two, I told my car buddies, this car needs a more aggressive exhaust (it sounded like a Lexus), the runflats were destroying the ride quality while the actual suspension was still softer than I'd prefer and the car didn't look aggressive enough. Turns out I wasn't the only one feeling that way. The following spring the LCI 550i sport came out with... sport exhaust, new wider 19 inch wheels with non-runflat tires, stiffer shocks, springs and bump stops and....a body kit. That car was, and is, sensational. I know since I purchased from the dealer, the M body kit, the sport exhaust, the suspension bits and the wheels and tires...all for a lease. It was worth every penny (still have the 19 inch wheels for sale BTW).

So my point? BWM goes in the luxury direction, then seems to act to satiate disgruntled core customers with a more performance oriented refresh,

Well, the F10 could almost pass for a Benz. What are they going to do to spiffy it up?

My suggestion: a comp pack for the 550i M sport that lowers the car with stiff non adjustable suspension tuned by M.

Anyone agree with this observation about BMW's trend of subsequent correcting their overly luxurious offerings?

DRP
Old 03-23-2011, 10:47 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Did read an local car magazine at the barbers on Monday and they wrote that E60 was a great car but the F10 didn't
reach up to it do to the hard tires (245/45 18" RF's) on our shitty roads.

But I still only say, the RF's suck and spoils the whole car.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

We can only hope
Old 04-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Members

That car was, and is, sensational.
Tell me about it!
Old 04-19-2011, 04:14 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Your observation is correct. There were many of us here on this board that were on our fourth 5 series going into our fifth. The F10 pushed us to different brands or models because it became a mini-7 series, it was heavier and the body more mainstream. It wasn't any faster despite a power upgrade and it handled worse because of an extra 400 lbs.
I think BMW deduced that we were all poorer versions of people that really wanted a 7 series, they traded the "Ultimate Driving Machine" for the "Joy" tag line.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:56 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe in YOUR mind these are the thoughts you had but they are hardly true by subjective standards. When they first tested the e60 it was handling like a porsche boxter at the time in regards to skidpad grip which albeit is only one test but is one of the better ones we have to assess grip.

While YOU do not like run-flats, they actually provide superior performance with their structural rigidity giving up some comfort.

The suspension in the e60 sport cars pre-lci was also no different than the pre-lci aside from if you got -m-sport package. This was available pre-lci but just not in the USA. SO bmw did not make the lci more sporty, rather they offered the USA the sportier m-package which had sportier suspension and a bodykit.

The LCI engines choices did not change in the 550 and actually the engine is a bit overrated at 360 and was making more like 330hp per the dyno sheets people were getting.

Bottom line there has never been a sportier LCI version, rather the USA often doesnt get the sportiest version of the car to begin with and sometimes during LCI it is offered to them. Nothing to do with bmw "realizing" they need to make it sporty.

Also hate to break it to you but the exhaust was NO different in the LCI 550i m-sport v. the regular or the pre-lci sport. It had different black exhaust tips but the muffler and piping is exactly the same. You can look on realoem to confirm.Shows you how subjective exhaust notes are based on what somebody wants to hear.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:52 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Diamond
While YOU do not like run-flats, they actually provide superior performance with their structural rigidity giving up some comfort.
How come then the M-cars use non-RFT tires

And with the rest of your post you just confirm what the OP states And also that you have some other type of problem which I personally would gladly leave for yourself to figure out
Old 04-20-2011, 02:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 07 550i Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic, Sport, Premium, Nav, Sat. Radio, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Rear Sunshade.

To me, the E60 LCI was just a refresh as there was nothing major that needed to be fixed with the E60 that had not already been addressed like offering active steering as an option instead of cramming it into the Sports Package. With the strong sales numbers, I don't foresee BMW making any major changes to the F10 besides fixing the lack of feel with the electric steering. My biggest disappointment with the F10 is the added weight. I just don't understand how increasing weight can be considered "Efficient Dynamics." The E60 slightly grew in size from the E34 but did not increase in weight. IMO, BMW should have done the same with the F10.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Originally Posted by mmitev
How come then the M-cars use non-RFT tires

And with the rest of your post you just confirm what the OP states And also that you have some other type of problem which I personally would gladly leave for yourself to figure out
Hmm, I think he only points out some statements made in the OP that do not correspond with the actual facts, nothing wrong with that I'd say...
Old 04-21-2011, 03:33 PM
Members

=

Quick Reply: Will we see a correction by BMW with the F10 like we did with the E60