F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Took an F10 550 for a drive...(Pics included)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 11:44 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: See sig :)

The motor in the 550 the 4.4 turbo or?
Old 06-01-2010, 04:46 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by richierich1015
How does this car have the top and side view camera option?! I REALLY wanted this option on the 550 I ordered but was told it wouldn't be available till Sept '10.
I was told that the September availability of the Top View system is due to supplier issues. In other words, if they can get a hold of the parts, the system works, etc. It's possible that the first deliveries to dealers (for demo purposes, etc.) are getting the Top View system to help sell more of them...
Old 06-01-2010, 07:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Titanium Gray 550i, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Shadowline trim, Parking Distance Conrol, Xenon, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Satellite

Originally Posted by tbal
The motor in the 550 the 4.4 turbo or?
V8 TT

Originally Posted by Rudy
I was told that the September availability of the Top View system is due to supplier issues. In other words, if they can get a hold of the parts, the system works, etc. It's possible that the first deliveries to dealers (for demo purposes, etc.) are getting the Top View system to help sell more of them...
Makes sense, Rudy you think this is also why BMW didn't just include this feature along with the rear view in the Premium Package 2
Old 06-01-2010, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

thanx for the clarification Frank
Old 06-01-2010, 07:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Great review. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:45 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Frank5er
Thanks guys! Took a pic of the sticker as well
interesting writeup, thanks for posting...so, as compared to the e60 sport pack on the 550, does it really seem very different in terms of handling even with the optional dynamic controls?? its quite alarming to think that you believe an aftermarket setup is required from factory, as alarming as your use of Luxury VS Sport or Driving Feel...this writeup sounds very MB-ish which is not good in this regard of handling. Im gonna go for 4 doors next time around and this car along with the Gran Coupe are my options in the back of my mind. It sure sounds like the F10 is losing out before the game starts though with the info you provided, so Im wondering what the thoughts are from others that have a 550 sport and have driven a F10 550 sport as we move forward...

btw, that sticker is classic marketing BS from BMW, I cant believe there is a Global Warming impact number , you gotta be kidding me BMW :thumbsdown:
Old 06-01-2010, 10:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by m630
interesting writeup, thanks for posting...so, as compared to the e60 sport pack on the 550, does it really seem very different in terms of handling even with the optional dynamic controls?? its quite alarming to think that you believe an aftermarket setup is required from factory, as alarming as your use of Luxury VS Sport or Driving Feel...this writeup sounds very MB-ish which is not good in this regard of handling. Im gonna go for 4 doors next time around and this car along with the Gran Coupe are my options in the back of my mind. It sure sounds like the F10 is losing out before the game starts though with the info you provided, so Im wondering what the thoughts are from others that have a 550 sport and have driven a F10 550 sport as we move forward...

btw, that sticker is classic marketing BS from BMW, I cant believe there is a Global Warming impact number , you gotta be kidding me BMW :thumbsdown:
Well, I drove the F10 535, not a 550, but as a current 550 owner I will be getting an M3 when my lease expires this fall. The exterior of the F10 leaves me wanting but that is a matter of personal taste. With no M Sports package on the horizon for the US, I have been studying other options.

The 535 I drove was similarly equipped though without some the bells and whistles like Lane Departure Warning. It had the Sports Pac, the Dynamic Handling Pac and the Sports Auto Transmission. It drove well enough, the roll stabilization was excellent. My time was short and I need to go again but as I noted in another thread, the 5 keeps moving closer and closer to the 7. Not just in appearance but in ride and handling. Rather than being a sports sedan it is now definitely a luxury sports sedan! The interior is well done and the new iDrive is a major upgrade. But I really felt like I was driving a 7, feeling a bit removed from the road. I'm not looking to go in that direction, if that's what I wanted I would have chosen the 7 over the 5 years ago.

The final straw was taking my wife to the dealer on Sunday. They were closed but I wanted her to look at the new 5. As she looked in the show room, she asked if that was a 5 or a 7? Now she's not the enthusiast that many are so I can excuse her not knowing the difference but after a minute of looking she turned to me and said "I like your current car much better. The new 5 doesn't look like a sports car, at least your 550 looks sporty." Telling words... Of course she then said "you should get the M3, it's a better looking car" and I was sold.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Contributors

thanks again .....and BMW should certainly heed the words you write as a long time protector of the 5er! It really is a situation where there is a loss for words as to what BMW is up to with these new models. They first boast about their "green move" and the bs with the engine efficiency mgt via turbos, but then they go out and bloviate the cars so that any potential saves from the engine tech are atleast partially offset by weight/mass gains. How does that add up to the Ultimate Driving Machine??? Im not at all sure??? But as you said and I've said as well, you cannot tell the 5er from the 7er and we're looking real hard!!! Its just gotten too darn big and left no room for a sports saloon in the guise of a 5 series.

I guess Im hoping the Gran Coupe concept looks the same in the real Production model, and is less weight than 4,000lbs, I cant deal with any larger car at this point as the driving dynamics get lost in the real world of physics.

I hear ya on the M3, are you going for the e90? Great engine, good DCT transmission (but not SMG!!! ) and fun to drive...if all else fails and if they're still available in 2012, I just may swipe up an S65 to keep it real in what is perhaps the LAST "real" M engine before the storm hit.
Attached Thumbnails Took an F10 550 for a drive...(Pics included)-img_3084.jpg   Took an F10 550 for a drive...(Pics included)-img_3085.jpg   Took an F10 550 for a drive...(Pics included)-img_3093.jpg   Took an F10 550 for a drive...(Pics included)-img_3101.jpg  
Old 06-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Members

My Ride: F10 530d Deep Sea Blue, Oyster/Black, Auto, Dynamic Pack, Professional Sat Nav, Professional Hi-Fi

Congratulations - beautiful car. I have ordered the Deep Sea Blue and the Oyster/Black interior also (https://5series.net/forums/topic/993...pprox-2-weeks/) I have't seen many pictures of the F10 in Deep Sea Blue so it was great to see yours - they put my mind to rest, although for I prefer the Chrome grill.
Old 06-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by m630
I hear ya on the M3, are you going for the e90? Great engine, good DCT transmission (but not SMG!!! ) and fun to drive...if all else fails and if they're still available in 2012, I just may swipe up an S65 to keep it real in what is perhaps the LAST "real" M engine before the storm hit.
Yes, the E90 M3. Can't decide if I want the DCT or a manual transmission. It has been a while since I had a manual daily driver!

Quick Reply: Took an F10 550 for a drive...(Pics included)