F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Took an F10 550 for a drive...(Pics included)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 05:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too drove a 550 this weekend just like the one that Frank5er drove (it's the standard US intro color/option combo according to my SA), and my impression was very similar. The first thought is LUXURY.

The aesthetics are personal. I very much like all of the new styling elements except for the ride height. But I think that like the new 7, it's the new BMW look. I believe that the dynamic handling package is the new sport suspension and so, other than the M5, it's probably as low as the F10 will get, at least from the factory. The 7's M-sport package is no lower than stock, and the spy pics of the 5's M-sport looks the same. Shame.

Other than the height, the only other negative for me was a very low back seat. I'm sure they lowered the seat to increase head room, but I felt that my knees were in my face sitting back there. Thankfully, I won't be driving the car from the back!

I think that dynamic handling is a "must have" option for the F10. It was much softer than my E60 550 Sport in the comfort and normal settings, but it was nice around bad city streets. On the highway in sport mode, the handling was at least as good - a maybe a bit better - than the E60.

Overall, I was very impressed. If the F10 M5 does not include a 6-speed manual option, I'm sure that the new 550 will be my next car.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 Titanium Silver 550i, with all the bells and whistles!!

is that a temperature guage I see? woo hoo!
did they make you cover the iDrive display or something?

Thanks for the review,don't worry about the silver fin next to the fog lamp, that will soo become a DIY for painting its matte black to match the shadowline trim or a carbon fibre overaly!!
Old 05-31-2010, 06:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by hinckley
I too drove a 550 this weekend just like the one that Frank5er drove (it's the standard US intro color/option combo according to my SA), and my impression was very similar. The first thought is LUXURY.

The aesthetics are personal. I very much like all of the new styling elements except for the ride height. But I think that like the new 7, it's the new BMW look. I believe that the dynamic handling package is the new sport suspension and so, other than the M5, it's probably as low as the F10 will get, at least from the factory. The 7's M-sport package is no lower than stock, and the spy pics of the 5's M-sport looks the same. Shame.

Other than the height, the only other negative for me was a very low back seat. I'm sure they lowered the seat to increase head room, but I felt that my knees were in my face sitting back there. Thankfully, I won't be driving the car from the back!

I think that dynamic handling is a "must have" option for the F10. It was much softer than my E60 550 Sport in the comfort and normal settings, but it was nice around bad city streets. On the highway in sport mode, the handling was at least as good - a maybe a bit better - than the E60.

Overall, I was very impressed. If the F10 M5 does not include a 6-speed manual option, I'm sure that the new 550 will be my next car.
Well with these kind of reviews from enthusiasts about the ride height on the sport package being too high, I expect that sellers of coilovers will be doing a brisk business. Michael from Acute Performance are you listening?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:28 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by sdg1871
Great review.
+1 and thanks for the pics.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

thank you for sharing

perhaps i missed you state and I can't tell from the interior pic, but did this 550 have the dynamic drive option? If so, which setting did you drive in, did you get to experience all three settings, differences?
Old 05-31-2010, 09:57 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Nice!
Old 05-31-2010, 10:08 AM
Members

My Ride: '07 335 E93, '04 Acura TSX

Originally Posted by Bteljuice
But I have to disagree with you on one thing, Picture 7. That is one ugly mother F***ing steering wheel . I sure hope the sports steering wheel will look much better.
That is the Sport Steering Wheel. That car has the Sport Package (can tell from the wheels). And notice the extra grips on the steering wheel at 10 and 2. The wheel itself feels like it's bound in Nappa Leather. It's nice and soft.
Old 05-31-2010, 08:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I get this funky feeling... like somewhere there's a buncha old geezers talking about hip pains

just saying

Thanks for the review OP (and the not so "O" P ) Good job getting the word out.

That said, I'm hoping for something sexier
Old 05-31-2010, 08:40 PM
Members

How does this car have the top and side view camera option?! I REALLY wanted this option on the 550 I ordered but was told it wouldn't be available till Sept '10.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Titanium Gray 550i, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Shadowline trim, Parking Distance Conrol, Xenon, Adaptive Headlight Control, Navigation System, Satellite

Thanks guys! If my memory doesn't fail me, below is the list of options of the F10 I drove. Yeah, the steering wheel is a hit/miss. Definitely, suspension makers get busy! Gene, if I remember, it was on normal mode when I started rolling with it. It was pretty normal until I jumped on the freeway and switched to option 2 which adjust the suspension into sports mode, this is when I felt tightness and of course excitement it definitely felt like the car tells you she's ready to be played The top and sideview camera were not part of any package and it was available as an add-on. Hope this helps

ZCV Convenience Package
316 Power tailgate
322 Comfort Access keyless entry
323 Soft-close automatic doors

ZDA Driver Assistance Package
5AC Automatic high beams
5AD Lane Departure Warning
5AG Active Blind Spot Detection
5DP Parking Assistant

ZDH Dynamic Handling Package
223 Electronic Damping Control
229 Active Roll Stabilization
2VA Adaptive Drive

ZP2 Premium Package 2
3AG Rear-view camera
416 Rear sunshades
494 Heated front seats
655 Satellite radio w/1 year sub.
677 Premium hi-fi system
6FL iPod and USB adapter

ZSP Sport Package
255 Sports leather steering wheel
2WC 19" wheels styling 332 (style 332)
456 Multi-contour seats
760 Shadowline exterior trim
840 Increased top speed limiter

Quick Reply: Took an F10 550 for a drive...(Pics included)