F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

September F10 sales

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 07:23 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Thanks for taking the time to write a mini-review! Honestly, in city driving, the extra luxury is a welcome addition IMO.

To BMW's credit (not that they need any help from me LOL), I never doubted the TT V8 - its the kind of engine I'd LOVE to have in just about any car. And ditto for the platform - particularly, the fact that the F10's platform is significantly stiffer than the E60. I also am attracted to the F10's reputed lack of jarring on expansion joints and potholes - as a matter of fact, the E60 (at least my E60) could use a softer approach to modern city road conditions.

The one thing that makes me hesitant about the F10 is the steering communicativeness - or rather, the reported lack thereof. When you take corners at/close to the limit, you want need to know well in advance the point where front tires are about to break traction. And I think this is exactly what's causing you to be somewhat unsure about the tires and the understeer. Mild understeer at turn-in, and available oversteer on exit, are the trademarks of BMW handling. As well as the biggest reason I love my E60 so much that most people who know me think I'm addicted to my car - and I probably am. I just cannot fathom having all these engine and platform capabilities of the F10, not to mention, a shell that can be made to look very "hard" - and not being able to take it to the limit, because it just kills your confidence with its steering response and communication. That's the sole reason the F10 screams "fake" to me - that's the catalyst to yours truly.

Contrary to the aforementioned lack of communication in the F10, the E60 tends to "talk" to me ALL the time through its steering. I even kind of hated it at first - coming from a series of Audis, it was something I had to get used to. But after my first meet in the twisties (big shout out to SDG and Original C ), I was hooked. And that's what BMW is to me - the perfect driver's car with an above-average level of comfort. So it is hard for me to reconcile that and the lack of communication in the F10's steering.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Well if you haven't done so already, I recommend you test-drive a F10 and see what you think. It's one thing to read about it in magazines or other people's posts, but to actually see it, feel it, and drive it in person can be a totally different experience. You may end up feeling the steering is better than what you thought or it's as bad as you thought....at least it'll answer a lot of questions you might have about the car.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Petes550i
Well if you haven't done so already, I recommend you test-drive a F10 and see what you think. It's one thing to read about it in magazines or other people's posts, but to actually see it, feel it, and drive it in person can be a totally different experience. You may end up feeling the steering is better than what you thought or it's as bad as you thought....at least it'll answer a lot of questions you might have about the car.
pete, I think you need to change or add on to your sig

"quit reading about it and go out an test drive the F10"

that way you just just reply with: "see sig"
Old 10-04-2010, 07:49 PM
Contributors

Can't argue with that. The reason I've been excusing myself is most dealers would never let me explore the handling limits of a $70-80k during a test drive, so I've been relying on reviews.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:52 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by v_therussian
Can't argue with that. The reason I've been excusing myself is most dealers would never let me explore the handling limits of a $70-80k during a test drive, so I've been relying on reviews.
you should sign up for the second UDE member JeffNNJ's dealership is holding ( https://5series.net/forums/topic/104...alership-only/ ) ...perhaps they'll let you do the f10 test drive solo, that's what happen with me..but maybe that's because I noted I was looking to purchase within the next 6 months....
Old 10-04-2010, 07:58 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
pete, I think you need to change or add on to your sig

"quit reading about it and go out an test drive the F10"

that way you just just reply with: "see sig"

good idea, gene

Seriously, though, I think a lot of confusion and ill-feelings could be cleared up if people simply took the time to test-drive the car and then post their experiences. If guys still hate it after the test-drive, fine by me....at least they'll look more credible than someone who just posts flamatory stuff without any basis.

I remember when I was shopping for a car this past summer, I test-drove every single car in the market I was interested in....even if I hated the design or read something bad about it in a magazine. (I've spent dozens and dozens of hours going to dozens of dealerships). That way, I would have no regrets or second thoughts about anything later.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

good point, unfortunately not everyone has the time nor resources/ability to test drive a possible vehicle purchase. And a lot of car shoppers initially begin their research with printed reviews from magazines and automobile sites/forums....So while yes the majority of one's decision is made once behind the wheel, one's interest is initially started via printed reviews and discussions....so we can't just discredit all written reviews, yet take them for what they are worth, an individual's opinion. Just like various posts throughout the f10 section and this entire forum. The decision to agree or disagree with said opinion is what we as purchasers can control...but arguing one's opinion and decision until blue in the face is counter productive, as that only seems to deter rather than attract interest(s) IMO...
Old 10-04-2010, 08:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by v_therussian

I can understand that. I think every dealership should be required to have a test-track.

You want to hear something kinda sad and creepy?

Back in 2005 when I got my 545i from Motorwerks (in Barrington, north of Chicago), my sales agent was this young guy who was on the job for only a few months. On the day of delivery, my sales agent didn't show up. I asked the dealer what happened and I eventually found out that on the day before, he and a customer went out on a test-drive with a M5 and apparently, the car was doing 90 mph on a 30mph residental area and it eventually went out of control and hit a tree. No survivors. It was on the news that night and I didn't see it. Needless to say, I was in a state of shock for the next 2 months and it really put a damper on my enjoyment of my 545i. I'll always remember this event for the rest of my life.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:14 PM
Contributors

you should sign up for the second UDE member JeffNNJ's dealership is holding ( https://5series.net/forums/topic/104...alership-only/ ) ...perhaps they'll let you do the f10 test drive solo, that's what happen with me..but maybe that's because I noted I was looking to purchase within the next 6 months....
Me and "condescending Jeff" don't always see eye-to-eye when it comes to dealer experience. I was basically treated like sh!t when I offered what I thought was very fair money on a 335 tester they were trying to get rid of. Jeffy blamed it off on his former sales manager and whatnot, but I tend to remember that kind stuff. Its ok though, Gene, I've got access to BMWs - just that I was not really planning to get a replacement for my E60 for another two years (wanna finish what I've started first). But we'll see - maybe, if I find a hot deal, I'll grab a 535xi on a lease and get a used Boxster S to mod. All will depend on my financial situation and how bad I'm gonna want my woman to throw me out of the house

good idea, gene

Seriously, though, I think a lot of confusion and ill-feelings could be cleared up if people simply took the time to test-drive the car and then post their experiences. If guys still hate it after the test-drive, fine by me....at least they'll look more credible than someone who just posts flamatory stuff without any basis.

I remember when I was shopping for a car this past summer, I test-drove every single car in the market I was interested in....even if I hated the design or read something bad about it in a magazine. (I've spent dozens and dozens of hours going to dozens of dealerships). That way, I would have no regrets or second thoughts about anything later.
I hate you, Pete - just went and built myself a 535Xi on bmwusa.com

Optioned out as I want it (very comparably to my 530Xi, which had MSRP of ~$56k when new, if I'm not mistaken), came out to slightly more than 65k. Not bad, I guess. But sucks that I can't get an Xi with a manual or a DCT - I really don't want a torque converter. Or is that a glitch in the site and I can actually get a 535Xi m-sport with a manual? Anyone know?

good point, unfortunately not everyone has the time nor resources/ability to test drive a possible vehicle purchase. And a lot of car shoppers initially begin their research with printed reviews from magazines and automobile sites/forums....So while yes the majority of one's decision is made once behind the wheel, one's interest is initially started via printed reviews and discussions....so we can't just discredit all written reviews, yet take them for what they are worth, an individual's opinion. The decision to agree or disagree with said opinion is what we as purchasers can control....
I'd never even think about getting a car, unless I knew exactly how it drives from experience. Most cars I've test-driven the hell out of before buying.