F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

It has frozen over...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Hell that is...

Never thought it would happen so quickly but the last few days the F10's design has been growing on me... Past few months I had strong 'enlarged e90' sentiments but now the F10 seems to come to its own. Even when stationairy, the lithmus test for any good car design, I now find its exterior appealing and it does have an identity of its own.

Now I still think the e60/e61 has more road presence and its design is quite ageless but coupled with its beautiful (though somewhat cluttered) interior design I will consider the F10/F11 in the future...

Now the only the handling issue remains to be judged...
Old 07-31-2010, 03:54 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

the thing that i probably wont be able to get over, is the blunt front end, and the hood-to-bumper line. :thumbsdown:
Old 07-31-2010, 04:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It's deja vu all over again! Many initial E60 "haters" became E60 lovers after some time...

Originally Posted by turboawd
the thing that i probably wont be able to get over, is the blunt front end, and the hood-to-bumper line. :thumbsdown:
You'll get over it in time -- like all new designs, it'll start to look "normal" after a while. Also, the blunt front end is something you'll likely see on pretty much every European car so again, it'll be more normal in short time.
Old 07-31-2010, 05:41 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

This F10 design "controversy" is nothing like what I experienced after getting the '09 Acura TL (4th gen).....you talk about POLARIZING design....look at the Acura TL....probably THE most controversial front end (and back end) in automotive history since the Edsel! The TL's front end has been called everything from "parrot beak, to just The Beak, Pokemon face, Transformer face"....you name it. The 3rd generation Acura TL members absolutely and mercilessly slammed the 4G TL for months after its release. Yet, as time went on, more and more people got used to it and the number of owners started to increase steadily. However, this is a case when a radical new design might have gotten too far.....sales of the 4G TL has been terrible ever since it's release last Fall and it consistently ranks near the bottom of its class in monthly sales (guess who's first?....3 series of course!) So, I'm actually kind of glad BMW didn't go overboard with the 5 series design this time around.
Old 08-02-2010, 07:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

Originally Posted by Petes550i
This F10 design "controversy" is nothing like what I experienced after getting the '09 Acura TL (4th gen).....you talk about POLARIZING design....look at the Acura TL....probably THE most controversial front end (and back end) in automotive history since the Edsel! The TL's front end has been called everything from "parrot beak, to just The Beak, Pokemon face, Transformer face"....you name it. The 3rd generation Acura TL members absolutely and mercilessly slammed the 4G TL for months after its release. Yet, as time went on, more and more people got used to it and the number of owners started to increase steadily. However, this is a case when a radical new design might have gotten too far.....sales of the 4G TL has been terrible ever since it's release last Fall and it consistently ranks near the bottom of its class in monthly sales (guess who's first?....3 series of course!) So, I'm actually kind of glad BMW didn't go overboard with the 5 series design this time around.
OMG, the TL is really ugly and deserves to go into the Hideous Hall of Fame right next to the Pontiac Aztec.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by JeffNNJ
OMG, the TL is really ugly and deserves to go into the Hideous Hall of Fame right next to the Pontiac Aztec.
+1!! But a lot of the design cues have been carried over to other models as well. The MDX is awful looking too, IMO...
Old 08-09-2010, 11:56 PM
Members

Better get used to it. The new vertical front is mandated by the EU pedestrian safety rules (same with the huge side mirrors). Benz/Audi and everyone else will have to design cars with a vertical front, i.e. no slant or protruding bumper.
Old 10-04-2010, 07:27 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Actually I kinda like that part, reminds me of the shark nose BMW's of the 80's, but modernized. To me that is one of the more appealing elements of the design. The part I am not too crazy about is the deep belt line, kinda looks like the muffin top on a fat chick
Old 10-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by pjinca
Actually I kinda like that part, reminds me of the shark nose BMW's of the 80's, but modernized. To me that is one of the more appealing elements of the design. The part I am not too crazy about is the deep belt line, kinda looks like the muffin top on a fat chick
Agree on the first part, disagree on the muffin-top. Flared sides are cool, dude

besides, the F10 is overweight - its just "form follows function" design LOL
Old 10-04-2010, 08:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by v_therussian
besides, the F10 is overweight - its just "form follows function" design LOL

Well since 60% of Americans are considered obese by some estimates, the F10 is just mirroring society.

.....yeah, I do have a sense of humor guys!

Seriously, make no mistake, I do love my car!

Now that I think about it, it really kind of makes sense as to why cars have gotten bigger and bigger in the past decade.....people are getting FATTER!....which is why SUV's have gotten so popular and every model year, cars are getting bigger and roomier.

Quick Reply: It has frozen over...