F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

September F10 sales

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550 DPE S7 CF Front Splitters

Originally Posted by Petes550i
Frankly, I don't care who likes the car or doesn't. That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. However, when someone presents something which is clearly an opinion and dresses it up as fact, then I will respond to it. .....Example: in your post above, you state that manufacturers don't care about the consumers and just want to push out a product that just passes mustard.......How do you know this? Have you worked as an executive in the auto industry? If this was true, then pretty much every car, including your beloved E60, would be a dismal failure. Just because YOU dislike the F10 doesn't mean BMW doesn't care about its customers. That's absurd! Yes, whenever a new model comes out, it won't please everyone but that's life.....you move on to something else if you don't like it......but to imply that BMW or the F10 has failed because it didn't meet YOUR specific needs at this point in time is ridiculous.
Of course you care who likes it and who doesn't, that's why you're so fired up. If people like your new car then you, in turn, feel better about yourself and the choice you made. We all care, that's why when we make a simple or complex mod to our vehicles, or purchase a new one, we join forums like this one, post pictures, and seek opinions of our [peers]. It's human nature.

I never said manus don't care about the consumers and never mentioned passing mustard, what I said was "Most manufacturers aren't as concerned with making a great product in the opinion of a select few, rather making an acceptable product for the masses."
I didn't imply that the F10 has failed. Again, what I said was "I'm not sying it will or won't be a success, because frankly I don't know."

You're interpreting everything as absolute.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rudy
Just so the newbs understand, traditionally, the sales numbers have been posted here each month. Years ago, they were always posted by member FDMeloan and then, after he retired, many of us would jump in and post them after they were released. Most of the time, I wait for Tachyon to post them since he's sort of become the one who gets them up quickly but once in a while, others (like swajames) will post them.

The main reason I wanted to explain this was to let everyone know that we always post this info -- it's not likely being posted as any type of troll bait, etc. The numbers "are what they are" and clearly, during a time when a new [controversial] model comes out, they are open to interpretation/speculation.

That said, here's the entire release so everyone can see the numbers...

BMW Group U.S. Reports September 2010 Sales.
Woodcliff Lake, NJ ? October 1, 2010... The BMW Group in the U.S. (BMW and MINI combined) reported September sales of 23,112 vehicles, an increase of 20.5 percent from the 19,175 vehicles sold in September 2009. Year-to-date, the BMW Group also reported a sales volume of 192,052 vehicles, up 7.2 percent from the 179,219 units sold through September 2009.

?It's still a tough market but the September numbers show that good results are possible," said Jim O'Donnell, President of BMW of North America LLC. "We have been building momentum and narrowing the gap with our competitors and the October addition of the all-wheel-drive 5 Series to our model lineup will help us keep that momentum through the end of the year."

BMW Brand Sales

Sales of BMW brand vehicles in September increased 21.1 percent for a total of 18,228 vehicles from the 15,047 units sold in September of last year. Year-to-date, BMW sales were up 9.2 percent to 157,464 vehicles from the 144,223 units sold in the same period of 2009.

In September, best performing vehicles included the 3 Series, up 37.1 percent to 8,945 units. The X5 and X6 continue to perform very well with an increase of 160.7 percent and 122.3 percent, respectively.

BMW Pre-Owned Vehicles

Sales of BMW?s used vehicles (including certified pre-owned and pre-owned) increased 14 percent to 13,540 vehicles from the 11,873 units sold in September last year. Year-to-date, used vehicle sales were up 6.4 percent to 126,601 vehicles from the 119,010 units sold in the same period of 2009.

MINI Brand Sales

MINI USA reported sales of 4,884 automobiles, an increase of 18.3 percent from the 4,128 cars sold last year. Year-to-date, MINI USA also reported sales of 34,588 automobiles, a decrease of 1.2 percent from the 34,996 units sold last year.

Attachment 112241
Thank you, Rudy. All I can say is that BMW is absolutely humiliated by Mercedes-Benz in the USA. That's it.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

will someone just give pete a hug already....
Old 10-03-2010, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Without getting too far into the middle of any debates about all this, I have to say that, isolating the 5 series numbers from last September to this September, they sold a whopping 2 5ers less in 2010. Hardly what I'd call "sluggish" or "slightly down". YTD sales are clearly behind but, as others have speculated, there are likely many customers waiting for the x-Drive models so it may not be a fair "apples to apples" comparison.

I really never cared much about the BMW vs. M-B numbers -- to me, it's more interesting to watch the 5 series numbers and look at the trends from year to year and from prior period to current period...
Old 10-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Dear Rudy,

If I recall right Tachyon said some time ago that he will not continue with
the sales reports that he sent from '05 or '06 with the E60 Discussion.

Is this the time for you to take over Tachyon's heritage with the F10 Discussion?
Old 10-03-2010, 10:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
will someone just give pete a hug already....

I hope it's not from you.....I don't want to catch cooties from somebody named genetals
Old 10-03-2010, 10:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Rudy
Without getting too far into the middle of any debates about all this, I have to say that, isolating the 5 series numbers from last September to this September, they sold a whopping 2 5ers less in 2010. Hardly what I'd call "sluggish" or "slightly down". YTD sales are clearly behind but, as others have speculated, there are likely many customers waiting for the x-Drive models so it may not be a fair "apples to apples" comparison.

I really never cared much about the BMW vs. M-B numbers -- to me, it's more interesting to watch the 5 series numbers and look at the trends from year to year and from prior period to current period...
While the xDrive models ought to increase the numbers, there is the not inconsequential impact of a much stronger economy this September compared to last, significantly greater activity in the credit markets and the continuance of what ought to have been an initial boost to launch sales due to ongoing latent demand for the new model. I stand by the observation that the numbers ought to have been better than they are.
Old 10-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Members

Much conjecture and own guesswork, and persisting in taking a non defensible position in post #1. I'm rather amazed with some people in this forum who don't own a F10 and not planning to buy a car cos it's not time yet for them, but having plenty of time to post plenty of own opinion and guesses. Either these forummers have made it or have nothing much to do in these times
Old 10-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

No, I think these guys are just pissed because BMW didn't give them what they wanted.....so they vent...and vent....and vent. That's the bottom line. However, I'd bet that at least half of the critics and detractors here will end up with a F10 somewhere down the road.....same thing happened when the E60 first came out.
Old 10-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by Petes550i
No, I think these guys are just pissed because BMW didn't give them what they wanted. That's the bottom line. However, I'd bet that at least half of the critics and detractors here will end up with a F10 somewhere down the road.....same thing happened when the E60 first came out.
Probably true, Pete. My issue is just that, I would have preferred to see some different engineering decisions but it doesn't mean the F10 isn't a tremendous car for someone with different priorities. As for ending up with an F10, I am interested in the F10 M5 and following its development. Who knows, if BMW delivers the car we know that can deliver, it may well be on the list.

That said, the criticism now isn't the same as it was during the E39 to E60 transition. Much of the criticism then focused solely on styling and with the benefit of hindsight had very little basis in anything other than design decisions. With the F10, the criticism is almost exclusively about engineering decisions and core brand values, it's (generally) being expressed reasonably and, most importantly, it's coming from people who are enthusiasts with the financial wherewithal to buy. That's not what we we saw in 2004...

Quick Reply: September F10 sales