F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Saw and Drove an F10 550i

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Titanium Silver 2004 525i, style 116 alloys,

Originally Posted by Richard in NC
I really like the new Z4. The car is really good looking, the interior, especially with the Ivory White package really stands out, and its a blast to drive top down. Even though its not a sharp handling as an M3, M Coupe, or Boxter S, it still handles the twisties quite well, yet retains an acceptable ride for a daily driver or long trips. I love the 3.0 TT and DCT although its not the quiet power of the 550i V8. I'm crossing fingers I don't succumb to the HPFP problem (same as a 535i). It has decent room for a roadster but obviously would not be a car to transport anything around in. I could not even fit a 24x36 picture frame in the trunk (it was an inch to big in either direction) and barely got it in the passenger seat.
Here is the thread from when I bought it...New Z4
but here's a better interior pic.

Thanks for the opinion!
Old 06-07-2010, 08:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 M3 Convertible, Alpine White/black, 6 speed 2011 535xi Tasmin Green, Venetian Beige

One thing you might want to consider is the X5 diesel. It's incredible. There is much more then ample torgue and the gas mileage is incredible. There is a $4500 eco credit from BMW and an $1800 tax credit as well. I recently delivered one to a customer in Brooklyn. It took me over two hours in traffic and when I got there the gas gauge needle hadn't moved at all. On the other hand, I drove an X5M from our prep center 1.5 miles to the dealership and the gas gauge did move.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

The BMW diesels are incredible.

I guess the F10 535dA is coming on US markets next year.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:40 AM
Contributors

I happened to be at Hendrick BMW to drop off my Z4 for service. BTW, my loaner is an Alpine White/Cinnamon Brown 328i.
I talked to my salesman re the lease end of my '08 550i. He had an F10 550i and a new X5 5.0 to test drive.

I drove the F10 second and just around the block but since its the point of the post.......
First it was Sparkling Graphite with 20in BBS style gray wheels added by the dealer. The car looked sharp and the wheels were far better than the factory 550i wheels.
The interior was the Ivory/Black 2 tone and looked nice. The car had the sport package with adjustable suspension, and the 8 speed auto with paddles. The car drove very nice, with that BMW feel but its different, more isolated, and more quiet than the '08 550i. It had plenty of pep but I didn't have the opportunity to really get on it or compare with mine. The interior is a step up from the '08. The new iDrive is nice as well (already have it in the Z4). I would be happy with it but I can't say I'd like it better or worse than the '08.

I first drove an '11 X5 5.0 with the M Sport package and 20in chrome wheels in Titanium Silver and Black Nappa leather. It was really sharp. Even though it was the same motor as the 550i, you could actually hear it in the X5. A nice throaty strong 400hp sound. It moves well for a 5300 lb truck. BMW quotes it at 5.3 0-60, only a tick or 2 behind the '08 550i. It did not have the optional adjustable suspension or paddles (n/a) but it seemed more fun to drive than the 550i. I was able to do a nice test drive in it and certainly would be happy with it. Plus an X5 will give me back the utility I lost trading the X3 for the Z4.

The other car I would look at is the E90 M3. Definitely the sportiest of the bunch but it lacks some of the luxury, room and comfort of the 550i or X5.
thanks for the writeup Richard! I only say yikes as you didnt write much, or to say it another way, doesnt seem like there was much to write up about as opposed to even the X5...seems more writeups appear like this than the alternative, not sure whats going on at BMW land but i've all but crossed the F10 off my list :thumbsdown:
Old 06-07-2010, 02:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by m630
thanks for the writeup Richard! I only say yikes as you didnt write much, or to say it another way, doesnt seem like there was much to write up about as opposed to even the X5...seems more writeups appear like this than the alternative, not sure whats going on at BMW land but i've all but crossed the F10 off my list :thumbsdown:
I could have and should have spent more time with the F10 but the salesman seemed a bit hesitant to let me drive what I did. It has to otherwise hide in the back until the release date. I really need to drive it on a handling loop back to back with the current 550i and the new X5.

OTOH, what I liked about the X5 was you could hear the motor growl and have fun with it yet it wasn't overly loud. Whereas the 550i was quite quiet even when I punched it a bit. Plus maybe I'm a bit biased already leaning towards the X5 this time.

The diesel might be interesting but I gotta have a V8. The new TT V8 matches/exceeds the diesel torque and revs much higher to deliver the power.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 BMW 550, Sport, Navi, PS, CWP, Sirius

It could be the weight gain but also the additional isolation and quietness of both the ride and steering. I would like to drive it in the twisties to get a true feel for its handling.
F10 does feel a little heavier but it still handles very well, especially in Sport+ mode. Getting back to my 2010 with M-Sport did not feel sportier at all and on the way home I wanted my car to be as quiet and comfortable as F10 was in comfort mode, knowing that at any moment I can switch it into Sport+ and have fun.

BTW I spent at least 1 hour driving F10 550 and tried everything I could short of all out acceleration (the car had only 250 miles in it) and I liked F10 a lot. It just needs to mature: sport steering, more agressive seats, less ugly wheels, probably Dinan software and vu à la - we have a serious sports sedan.