F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Next M5 Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 06:11 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AMG here I come
Old 04-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Folks .. you really don't believe that the X5/X6 M engine platforms are true race bred engines do you? If you ask me ... they really are more pepped up top of the line regular series engines ... a step above the TT V8 ..! Sort of like a JCW package for the Minis on steroids.

http://www.examiner.com/x-572-Auto-Review-...ts-what-they-do

Don't get me wrong .. these are great engines in their own right and the CCM exhaust management system alone is very very ingenious but the block is based on the regular TT V8 block and the rest of the stuff are smart add-ons (incl. high PSI twin scroll turbos, intercoolers, CCM and a remapped ECU). But the aspects that make the M-engines unique .. individual throttle bodies for responsiveness, lightweight F1 cylinder block, continuous high rpm acceleration and peak power up to redline are all not there. And then an AUTOMATIC .. oh well .. ! Of course no major chassis innovations there either.

My opinion ... the demographics that these "monsters" target are not the typical //M race heritage followers (or they have lots of money and brand loyalty to own multiple //M cars .. one for the street and the other for the track). These are the folks that go for the Porsche Cayenne Turbo ... the new Panamera .. etc. Now, I think the idea was to get a car out there as cheap as possible and quick as possible with large margins built into it .... FIELD TEST some technologies (in non-race conditions) .... so ... the engineers can then take all that know-how and money earned and GET BACK to building a TRUE NEXT GEN //M ENGINE and CHASSIS.

The //M3 and //M5 ... are the two cars that DEFINE the //M brand (and BMW's race heritage). //M cars .. are cars of passion and need to be differentiated as such. I really really doubt going forward that these engines will be built off their series counterpart with a bunch of modifications ... . I DO feel that to control costs ... the //M3 and the //M5 MAY be based off similar platforms (like the current V8 and V10 F1 blocks ... phenomenal engines) but these two models alone (given their sales volume and iconic status) JUSTIFY an ENTIRELY new RACE BRED TURBO platform. We may surely see some of the X5/X6 M (engine) technologies find their way into the new power plants .. but improved in probably every way conceivable.

peace ...