F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Nearly time to change my car

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 02:14 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After 4 and a bit years and 110,000 miles, it will soon be time to say goodbye to my E60. Naturally I thought that the most likley replacement would be an F10 or F11, so I test drove both. I was most interested to experience the M Sport suspension without VDC and compare it to my own car. I picked a test route and set off first in the saloon (sedan). My initial impression was wow, this seems so much bigger than my car, and then that the suspension doesn't seem quite so sporty. I don't know if I am right on this, but the F10 seemed under damped. I was that surprised that that I drove exactly the same route in my car and yes my car felt more planted and less floaty.

Now i know that the E60 MSport was criticised by being too firm by some, but I have never felt this, albeit that my car has the 19" wheels with Non RFTs.

Conclusion was that I want something that feels more sporty rather than less, so I am waiting to drive one with VDC and then again with AD. lots of road tests said that the F10 needed the expensive suspension options to make it feel like a BMW, and I now understand these comments.

It will be interesting to see what I make of the next cars I get to test drive.

The F11 by the way felt just the same as the F10.

Regards,
Old 01-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Members

I sold my BMW F10 with standard suspension as I hated the way it felt after 1 year on highways and some back roads. It handled well but was a bit floaty and did not stay smooth or planted on certain highways (asphalt, concrete, ripples, grooves) at certain speed due to the under damping of the suspension as you said. This lead to slight road vibration in the front seats on these highways around 70-80 mph zone until you go faster or slower the car gets settled. I have driven other F10s with standard suspension with same feelings. I preferred your E60 over the same stretch of roads and my current 2008 335xi coupe which is very stable, planted, smooth and does not get jittery or floaty or have slight vibration like feel in the car over uneven roads and highways. The F10 standard suspension with my regular Michelin all season tires made the ride much better but wasn't BMW like at all. I wish I got dynamic damping package but could not put up with the 19 inch rims on my roads in Michigan so it is a trade off. I am looking at the Audi A6 which I find amazing and to have a nice balance of handling, sportines, and audi drive controls. But I want you to make the right choice and that is not to go with standard suspension setup.
Old 01-21-2012, 01:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by baloo588
But I want you to make the right choice and that is not to go with standard suspension setup.
No worries, I will not be buying one with the standard suspension settings...will even look at the new 3 as an alternative too.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:21 PM
Contributors

I drove a 528 with standard suspension this week, and didn't like it on the interstate. Jittery, and not very planted. So, you're saying the Sport is a better ride? I'll have to drive a sport to compare.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:37 PM
Members

AP Sales,

Yes, the jitteriness and tiny vibrations you are feeling from the road is felt in the car through the front seats on all of the 5 with standard suspension. Reviews and certain owners say that the dynamic damping system is the best option to make this BMW planted and dampens those road irregularities. This allows you the choice to choose comfort and normal modes which make the ride feel smooth and luxury like without sacrificing the handling aspect while going into sports and sports + for more sharper and firmer ride. I have never driven the sports with the dynamic handling package as we rarely have those at my dealers locally for demos or test drives. I wish I had drove those before buying my BMW last year. I did read the reviews saying that the standard suspension was lousy in many euro magazines and their statement that the sports package with dynamic damping system is paramount for this car to feel like a BMW.
Old 01-23-2012, 10:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I have the F10 with only the sport autotrans. It gives options to stiffer the chassis a bit, but enough for me.
Now in the winter with very soft Nordic winter tires the car is a floater but in the summer the 20" tires do work just great.
And yes, the F10 feels a bigger than the E60, but is a better car.

The new Audi A6 is a very nice car as long as you like front wheel drive, trans and camshaft driver belts...
Old 01-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Members

The A6 is sold with quattro here in the US only. So its not front wheel drive bias given the new longitudinal placement of the engine giving it a better weight distribution and also a shorter overhang as compared to older models for better steering control. The reviews have praised the great handling and ride of the A6 and that it is better than F10 in standard suspension form. We get loaded A6s here in the US and not base versions mainly sold in the Euro states. Also, the newer Audi sedans don't have timing belts anymore and use chains instead. Correct me if I am wrong on that part.