F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Lots of charger/battery problems in Finland

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 12:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vkhong
-30 to -20 C for over 60 days? That's cold (-22 to -4 F). Does parking in the garage with a battery tender help? Or it's the outside parking (at work, shopping etc) that the "increased battery discharge" occurs?

I top off all my vehicles' battery once a week (I run two tenders at a time) during winter. The quad-bike (snow plow) and stored sport quad-bike and lawn mowers' batteries too.

Cold tempreture is the most reason of discharge the batteries. it depends only on Tempretures...
Old 02-16-2012, 12:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by RaviAuto
Cold tempreture is the most reason of discharge the batteries. it depends only on Tempretures...
This is not the first time is cold over here. I have owned many BMW's, and even in colder conditions they
have worked without a problem.

I got a call today, and BMW has now admitted the problem and have started to plan the improvements to the
electrial system.
It has something to do with the AMG-battery and the recycling on the braking energy.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing
This is not the first time is cold over here. I have owned many BMW's, and even in colder conditions they
have worked without a problem.

I got a call today, and BMW has now admitted the problem and have started to plan the improvements to the
electrial system.
It has something to do with the AMG-battery and the recycling on the braking energy.
Same problem here. I'll make sure that my car will be added to the list of complaints.
An interesting thing is that I have a built-in battery charger that automatically tops off the battery as soon as I hook up the car to a power outlet (for the engine heater). But at those low temps the battery doesn't seem to recharge. I had it hooked up for 24 hrs but still I got the "The battery is discharged" msg.
The only way to solve the problem was to take the car inside a warm garage for a couple of hrs and charge the battery...
Old 03-05-2015, 08:23 AM
Members

was there ever any resolution of this? I live in finland also and had the same battery warning message if it gets really cold (below -25). Last year the dealer looked at my 2 year old 520d and blamed me for leaving the parking lights on (and I never use the parking lights). I always suspected the brake energy regeneration not charging the battery enough for the load put on it on really cold days.
Old 03-11-2015, 11:50 AM
New Members

My Ride: Toyota

I must say I am a little disappointed in BMW for not offering better educational information for new owners. It wouldn't have been too difficult or expensive to prepare an information card which helped new owners understand how temperatures can effect their range.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:32 AM
Members

Just a note on the AGM system unrelated to cold. My F10 sits parked in a garage (not freezing) with a battery tender all winter, generally about 5 months. When I start it for the first time I get the warning about "increased battery discharge" impossible since the tender was on it. The car is annoyed because it hasn't been driven and assumes the battery is low. It is NOT looking at the actual battery charge. After less than 10 miles one stop and restart the warnings go away and the car begins to behave normally. And on regenerative braking its not there. All that happens upon coasting is the alternator is charging the AGM to higher than normal running charge, energy to be consumed when needed. Regarding the cold, I would not at all be surprised if BMW didn't give false battery discharge warnings also understanding that in cold temps batteries are at risk.