F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Lots of charger/battery problems in Finland

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I'm also a active member of BMWforum.fi We have more than 15 member cars that are suffering of alarming battery problems.

It has been about minus 20 - 30 C now for about two months over here.
And now a lot of F10 and F11 (and other new BMW models) cars gets warnings from the dash "Low battery charge"
and from the Idrive "Increased battery discharge...".

This means that the car automatically limits the power of the heating device, seat warmers, AC, rear window and outside rearview mirrow heating etc.
Just when you really need them.

The reclamations will start falling in on dealers and the BMW Group Finland next week.
Let us see what BMW will do about it?

In my point of view the car has a ineffective generator and a too small battery for the nordic climate.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:49 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

-30 to -20 C for over 60 days? That's cold (-22 to -4 F). Does parking in the garage with a battery tender help? Or it's the outside parking (at work, shopping etc) that the "increased battery discharge" occurs?

I top off all my vehicles' battery once a week (I run two tenders at a time) during winter. The quad-bike (snow plow) and stored sport quad-bike and lawn mowers' batteries too.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 530i. Purchased 6/28/07. Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Dark Poplar Trim, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Bluetooth, Adaptive Control Xenons. 10/30/07 Added OEM 124s with 245/40/18 & 275/35/18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Installed red Cal Covers� from BavAuto. 11/21/07 Added OEM all-weather floor mats (for winter, carpet in summer) and coat rack. 6/26/08 installed M5-style rear spoiler. 6/30/08 put on red reflectors. 8/22/08 Euro turn signal stickers applied. 3/20/09 Installed Shadowline Trim. 3/27/09 Added Matte Black Kidney Grilles from Trinity. 4/03/09 Installed Bimmian Shadow Matte Black 530i Badges. 4/04/09 Installed LED license plate lights from Trinity. 5/01/09 Installed Brabus Interior LED Kit and White Angel Eyes. 5/02/09 Put in Brabus 6K Fogs. 5/14/09 Removed charcoal filter. 5/15/09 Installed light smoke LED side marker lamps from Trinity. 5/21/09 Sprint Booster. 6/12/09 Painted exhaust tips flat black. 6/13/09 Pulled red Cal Covers and painted calipers low gloss black. 6/27/09 RPI Ram Air Scoop from Trinity. 8/15/09 Installed Brabus's silver invisibulbs front and rear. 9/24/09 Installed R-Dash license plate LEDs from Brabaus (John).

Hard to imagine any battery lasting long in those conditions.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by vkhong
-30 to -20 C for over 60 days? That's cold (-22 to -4 F). Does parking in the garage with a battery tender help? Or it's the outside parking (at work, shopping etc) that the "increased battery discharge" occurs?
Yes, it's freaking cold. But this is a normal winter over here in Scandinavia for some 2 to 3 months every year.

This problem is now a vastly discussed matter over here. E-mails has gone to dealers and to the BMW Group.
Many members blaimes the new AGM-battery for the problem (AGM is a battery that collects the braking power etc.)
and its lack of taking the cars generator power into it when the battery is cold.

Keeping the car in a warm (environment or garage) will do the trick.

I will fore sure come back to this discussion.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Maybe they can help by offering a battery warmer? Or maybe an engine block heater?
Old 02-13-2012, 11:02 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by pjinca
Maybe they can help by offering a battery warmer? Or maybe an engine block heater?
Most have heaters connected to outside power (as I with a Defa 2100 W inside heater and a engineblock heater),
some have Webasto systems, but nothing works. All says it's the AMG-battery system.

I have now ten F10/11 and two F25 cars on my reclamation list.
And these are only from one small active BMWforum.fi in Finland.

And no answers from our numerous dealers nor from the BMW Group, yet.
I guess they are doing some thinking in Germany...
Old 02-13-2012, 04:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 535i M Sport 6MT
Model Year: 2010

Are the vehicles on the reclamation list low mileage vehicles? From what I read, BMWs in the US have to match a favorable driving profile of at least 10 continuous miles a day to prevent battery drain.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Contributors

Are the vehicles on the reclamation list low mileage vehicles? From what I read, BMWs in the US have to match a favorable driving profile of at least 10 continuous miles a day to prevent battery drain.
Some cars have been driven for more than 100 miles a day, some less.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:57 AM
Contributors

Latest news. BMW wants the cars to come to a complete computer test out.
All car are under the 2 year(!) warrenty so it will not cost more than the effort
(and working hours = $).
Old 02-16-2012, 12:14 AM
Members

I top off all my vehicles' battery once a week (I run two tenders at a time) during winter. The quad-bike (snow plow) and stored sport quad-bike and lawn mowers' batteries too.

Cold tempreture is the most reason of discharge the batteries. it depends only on Tempretures...

Quick Reply: Lots of charger/battery problems in Finland