F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Lap Times: F10 Vs. E60

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:31 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by bm323
Now, now now, your analysis in post #1 did not use these other data, did it?
Yes I did . How did you miss that in the first post? I wrote the following "The second track has the F10 535i vs. the E60 535d. Both have the same lap time of 1:19.6 and both are automatic gearboxes. Considering the better 0-100 kph of the F10 535i of 6.1 s to the 6.3 s of the E60 535d and with both having the same 0-160 kph at 14.2 s, and very close 0-180 kph (18.6 to 18.4), we should expect the F10 to have better lap time". If you check the numbers in the first post you will find them exactly coinciding with ones in my detailed acceleration post. I just mentioned a summary of three acceleration timkes since I know that technical memebers would check from the Sport Auto site. I am asking you for the third time to read my first post, please.

Now for the big question I have (maybe no biggie for you ). Since you are relying on laptimes for your interpretation of data, can you please explain the following as the positioning of 2 identical cars have laptimes such that their positions are reversed of which one of them, detail specs have been provided by you -

1) for the Hockenheim test track http://www.fastestlaps.com/track7.html

104.2007 Mercedes C 63 AMG http://www.fastestla...77fa80ea8e.html

78. 2007 BMW M3 (E92) http://www.fastestla...388b437911.html

2) now the opposite results for the Autozeitung test track http://www.fastestla...om/track24.html
35.2007 Mercedes C 63 AMG http://www.fastestla...77fa80ea8e.html

36.2007 BMW M3 (E92) http://www.fastestla...388b437911.html

Now, what does the above show and how should it affect your analysis and interpretation?
That is not a big question, it is a very simple one. The Autozeitung track has a higher percentage of its length in straight lines than Hockenheim. The superior acceleration and elasticity numbers for the C63 AMG proved to be of higher influence in the Autozeitung track than in Hockenheim. This means that the M3 was not able to make up for its defficiences in straight line acceleration due to the shorter length of corners and lower number of corners in Autozeitung track compared to Hockenheim.

Autozeitung Track

Hockenheim Short

Autozeitung has 6 corners (points 1,3,7,9,10,12 on the chart above) while Hockenheim has 8 corners. The straight line portion is longer in percentage in Autozeitung track compared to Hockenheim Short.

Did you notice that the E90 M3 sedan did a much better time than the E92 M3 coupe and the C63 AMG on Autozeitung track?

That is basically because the M3 sedan was equipped with Michelin Pilot Cup Semi-Slick Tires on 19" wheels while the E92 M3 coupe was equipped with the normal 18" wheels and tires.

Tracks are different, that is why Formula 1 teams never win all the races in one season. Some teams have better straigh line acceleration, and some have better cornering stability. So the ones who best tune their aerodynamics and other car equipment win the race.

And there is no response to below, which I take it that you agree with?
The magazines do the test once with extensive lap times testing. They do not replace the tests. If they test a car twice they would mention both tests each with its date and car equipment at the time of test.

Do you still think my analysis is subjective ?
Old 08-02-2010, 08:55 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Shebs
Yes I did . How did you miss that in the first post? I wrote the following "The second track has the F10 535i vs. the E60 535d. Both have the same lap time of 1:19.6 and both are automatic gearboxes. Considering the better 0-100 kph of the F10 535i of 6.1 s to the 6.3 s of the E60 535d and with both having the same 0-160 kph at 14.2 s, and very close 0-180 kph (18.6 to 18.4), we should expect the F10 to have better lap time". If you check the numbers in the first post you will find them exactly coinciding with ones in my detailed acceleration post. I just mentioned a summary of three acceleration timkes since I know that technical memebers would check from the Sport Auto site. I am asking you for the third time to read my first post, please.

There's a misunderstanding here. My point is that your first post did not take into account any elasticity; only 2 or3 of the acceleration data from 0 kmph. I fully understand your post #1

That is not a big question, it is a very simple one. The Autozeitung track has a higher percentage of its length in straight lines than Hockenheim. The superior acceleration and elasticity numbers for the C63 AMG proved to be of higher influence in the Autozeitung track than in Hockenheim. This means that the M3 was not able to make up for its defficiences in straight line acceleration due to the shorter length of corners and lower number of corners in Autozeitung track compared to Hockenheim.

When I look at the 2 tracks, I have difficulty saying which has more straight portions. Is it objectively reported that "The Autozeitung track has a higher percentage of its length in straight lines than Hockenheim"?

Old 08-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

When I look at the 2 tracks, I have difficulty saying which has more straight portions. Is it objectively reported that "The Autozeitung track has a higher percentage of its length in straight lines than Hockenheim"?
8 corners in 2.604 km for Hockenheim, and 6 corners in 3.8 km for Autozeitung track.

Do you need more objectivity than that?

LOL
Old 08-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Members

Do you still think my analysis is subjective ?
Aside from the above, allow me to highlight the portions/use of data which imo are subjective

I was checking fastestlaps.com and came up with the only two tracks that had both the F10 and E60:

1. Autozeitung Test Track.

2. Hockenheim Short.

In the first track their is the F10 530d vs. the E60 530i. Both have the same 0-100 kph of 6.3 seconds. Both also have very close 0-160 kph figures as shown on fastestlaps.com (14.0 s vs 13.9 s). The E60 530i has scored the 138th position with 1:46.2 while the F10 530d has been timed at 181st position with 1:48.1 s.

The second track has the F10 535i vs. the E60 535d. Both have the same lap time of 1:19.6 and both are automatic gearboxes. Considering the better 0-100 kph of the F10 535i of 6.1 s to the 6.3 s of the E60 535d and with both having the same 0-160 kph at 14.2 s, and very close 0-180 kph (18.6 to 18.4), we should expect the F10 to have better lap time. In your use of terms, the F10 has "better ..." but when not, it's "close"

F10 535i Sport Auto Test.

E60 535d Sport Auto Test.

Choose the Hockenheim tab on the upper box and Fahrwerte tab on the lower box. Please use the google translate feature if you don't understand german.

Both ended up with the same exact lap time, and I will leave you to comment on this fact.

Although the F10 has better gearbox (8 speeds compared to 6 speeds with lower shift times), stiffer chassis, double wishbone suspension the E60 still manages to do the same laptime on the second track and a better laptime on the first track with its lower acceleration and lower ability to achieve top speed. (Which data is being relied for this? Acceleration? Elasticity? At what speed and gear? F10 is heavier but it has some better features as you've mentioned, question is which performs better. From the manner which post #1 is written, is it objective?

From my point of view, I think that the extra weight and more luxurious setup of the F10 is the reason for its underwhelming performance on track. Nevertheless it is still a very good car.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:15 AM
Senior Members

Post#1 was completely objective, because post #1 contained links.

And had you checked the links and all the tabs I specified in post#1, you would not have gone into a lot of discussion points.

Just tell me that you got some knowledge from this thread

BTW, did you read my long post?
Old 08-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Members

8 corners in 2.604 km for Hockenheim, and 6 corners in 3.8 km for Autozeitung track.

Do you need more objectivity than that?

LOL
Is there a corner just after point 12 for the Autozeitung red portion? At point 10 is it 1 or 2 corners? And in the "straight" portions, which track is straighter? If I may repeat, is it objectively accepted that the Autozeitung favours cars that accelerates faster?

Old 08-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Members

The conclusion of this study would be the following:

The centrifugal force on the F10 was not well contained by the centripetal force as it was with the E60. The straight line segment of the track was in favor of the F10. Therefore, due to the equivalent lap times with the same driver, The E60 must have made up for its loss in the straight line segment during the corners segment. Consequently, the cornering stability of the E60 must be better than that of the F10. This was verified by the g forces and corenering speeds charts posted earlier.
Yes and this main point of yours has been paraphrased by me earlier check the cars I referred to even before your long post
Old 08-02-2010, 09:26 AM
Members

Post#1 was completely objective, because post #1 contained links.

And had you checked the links and all the tabs I specified in post#1, you would not have gone into a lot of discussion points.
Nope, the way it's written reflects your objectivity
Old 08-02-2010, 09:35 AM
Senior Members

Is there a corner just after point 12 for the Autozeitung red portion? At point 10 is it 1 or 2 corners? And in the "straight" portions, which track is straighter? If I may repeat, is it objectively accepted that the Autozeitung favours cars that accelerates faster?
Since you could not get that by naked eye, I have added a small gift below.

Below is the Nissan GT-R Hockenheim Lap

And the Nissan GT-R Autozeitung Lap

The maximum speed in the Autozeitung was 222.4 km/h from the table below the chart, the maximum speed in the Hockenheim short was 203 km/h.

Which one would have longer straights in your opinion?

Do you believe me now?

Damn I am so good .
Old 08-02-2010, 02:05 PM
Senior Members

Is it objectively accepted that the Autozeitung favours cars that accelerates faster?
To further prove that the Autozeitung favors the cars that accelerate faster, which is already a known fact to experienced cars enthusiasts, you will find that the average speed of any car on Autozeitung is higher than the same car average speed across Hockenheim Short. This is due to the longer straights and the lower corners density (corners/distance) and lower average curvature of corners in Autozeitung.

Nissan GT-R average speed on Autozeitung: 142.3 km/h
Nissan GT-R average speed on Hockenheim: 131.3 km/h

E92 M3 average speed on Autozeitung: 136.7 km/h
E92 M3 average speed on Hockenheim: 126.2 km/h

C63 AMG average speed on Autozeitung: 136.8 km/h
C63 AMG average speed on Hockenheim: 124.7 km/h

BMW 320si average speed on Autozeitung: 121.8 km/h
BMW 320si average speed on Hockenheim: 114.0 km/h

I have added the BMW 320si to show that a relatively weak car (130 hp/ton, 173 hp) would still be able to achieve a noticeably higher speed on Autozeitung than on Hockenheim just like a much stronger car (Nissan GTR with 275 hp/ton, 479 hp).

Do you believe me now ?

(N.B. Average Speed (km/h) = Track Length (km) * 3600 (s/h) / Lap Time (s))

Quick Reply: Lap Times: F10 Vs. E60