F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

I don't get it... Why the hate? Rant on

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 07:59 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by swajames

The answer, rather obviously, is "no" given that the Pulitzer Prize is the most prestigious award in the field of journalism...
your right it was the Peabody, which is the Pulitzer of television

http://www.tv.com/the-shield/show/8261/story/3993.html
Old 01-30-2010, 10:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i - no mods. Pretty basic really. I mean it has tires, windows, and a sweet look, what more could a man want? Honestly, I'd like to improve the sound system mildly, and possibly find a worthy engine mod that would increase my BHP by 100 without giving an arm and a leg for. I don't think it's out there, so I'll stay stock and love driving my 530i.

Regardless of his tenure I still believe the article, his view, is bias. Just because he won a Pulitzer Prize doesn't mean I have to like it. I don't walk up to random people and say their shirt is stupid, and then follow up with your shoes look good. Real journalism is suppose to be unbiased, it isn't suppose to tell tell you what to think from personal experience. Rather journalism is suppose to provide facts with the given information. Then again what do I know about the LA Times - nothing. What he might think is boring and unresponsive may not be to others, which makes his premiss flawed... The write up is filled with personal biases', good and bad. To someone who doesn't understand the brand will likely read the article and begin to think possibly these boring and sophisticated attributes may not be the car for them. Now I'm not suggesting he spin it off as a positive sales either, so lets not go there. Rather let the people decide with unbiased factual information. Also when I stumbled on the article I didn't know what to expect. Maybe I'm off base here and was expecting more. Possibly I was let down and disappointed in the review. Oh well, you can't please everyone! Now on that point I digress.

-Jay
Old 01-30-2010, 11:56 AM
ObD
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i 6MT

It appears the author is not a fan of the electric steering.
Old 01-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by BimmerJay
Regardless of his tenure I still believe the article, his view, is bias. Just because he won a Pulitzer Prize doesn't mean I have to like it. I don't walk up to random people and say their shirt is stupid, and then follow up with your shoes look good. Real journalism is suppose to be unbiased, it isn't suppose to tell tell you what to think from personal experience. Rather journalism is suppose to provide facts with the given information. Then again what do I know about the LA Times - nothing. What he might think is boring and unresponsive may not be to others, which makes his premiss flawed... The write up is filled with personal biases', good and bad. To someone who doesn't understand the brand will likely read the article and begin to think possibly these boring and sophisticated attributes may not be the car for them. Now I'm not suggesting he spin it off as a positive sales either, so lets not go there. Rather let the people decide with unbiased factual information. Also when I stumbled on the article I didn't know what to expect. Maybe I'm off base here and was expecting more. Possibly I was let down and disappointed in the review. Oh well, you can't please everyone! Now on that point I digress.

-Jay
Four important points here, Jay.

Firstly, take the opinion and personal bias and experience out of car writing and auto journalism and what you are left with isn't worth the paper it's written on. You may as well read a press release from the manufacturer. It is the perspective and opinion that makes it worth reading, and without it you're left with absolutely nothing other than a list of specifications that you could find on the manufacturer's website.

Secondly, Dan Neil has actually driven the car. On this basis, his opinion is much better informed than mine or yours. So many of the reports coming out of the press launch in Portugal claiming feedback from first drives were actually poorly regurgitated press materials, uncritically reproduced almost verbatim, and utterly worthless. Neil's opinion was informed by his time with the car, and it is one of the most extensive feedback pieces I've seen.

Thirdly, and most worryingly, Neil's feedback is not at all dissimilar to much of the auto writer's opinion on the F01 7-Series. A technological tour-de-force that's soulless and disconnected from the driver. You may recall the F01 coming dead last in one of the main comparison tests against the S550 and A8 etc, solely because the driver may as well have been a passenger. It is worrying to me that a journalist who's opinion I follow and respect is coming to similar conclusions about the F10. A BMW 5-Series and the traditional values that go into the brand and the model are exactly those that Dan Neil typically rates highly.

Finally, it seems that we're in danger of shooting the messenger because his informed conclusion (he has driven the car) is different to the conclusion we might have expected him to reach through our own uninformed speculation (and I say uninformed only because we haven't driven the F10). Maybe best to give him the benefit of the doubt until you've driven the car, don't you think?
Old 01-30-2010, 02:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by BimmerJay
<rant>
I just stumbled across this LA Times article on the new BMW 5 Series / F10: http://tinyurl.com/yb2a84d

Why the HATE! This isn't news, it's a bias report on the 5 series. I wonder at what point BMW pissed in Dan Niels Wheaties.

Do I just misunderstand this writeup, is it just me, or Niels being pretty bias towards the F10. While he may have some good points I don't believe he speaks to the entire market of BMW drivers. I think it's pretty brave to make so many claims before the car is officially released in the US. I've always hated reporters who will same something positive followed up with something negative, but end his article with wait for the M5 - well duh! So pretty much don't waste your money unless you can afford the M5 is how I interpret it.
</rant>
Didn't seem too bad from my perspective.

Too sterile? All new cars continue to get more sterile as they get refined. Maybe the authur should question why BMW doesn't offer a force feeedback option thru the wheel like the sidewinder joystick.

The old sport sedan concept is dead and the earth isn't flat.
When all tests are in the f10 will be the favored driver's car as usual. It just a more compelling jouranistic story to poke at BMW, as it doesn't enjoy the massive edge it once held. No matter. Looks positioned to hold the crown. While I'm not a huge fan of the new styling it clearly beats any other offerings. I also think the author forget he was driving a luxury car and the track comment shows his error.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

The article is not a big deal. I have read just every major and minor review. Except for this one, the reviews have all been glowing and ecstatic. This guy didn't like the e60. I have driven an e60 for 6 years and I believe it to be a great car in every respect. Besides what kind of car expertise can this guy have if he calls the engine, a motor? The F10 looks to be another huge success for BMW. I am picking another 550 up in Munich on July 13.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by pharding
The article is not a big deal. I have read just every major and minor review. Except for this one, the reviews have all been glowing and ecstatic. This guy didn't like the e60. I have driven an e60 for 6 years and I believe it to be a great car in every respect. Besides what kind of car expertise can this guy have if he calls the engine, a motor? The F10 looks to be another huge success for BMW. I am picking another 550 up in Munich on July 13.

Hey congrats on the f10. There is nothing like a ED'd 550!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW I agree the E60 has been a great car and I'd be shocked if the F10 didn't continue BMW's streak of great driving sedans.