F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

I don't get it... Why the hate? Rant on

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i - no mods. Pretty basic really. I mean it has tires, windows, and a sweet look, what more could a man want? Honestly, I'd like to improve the sound system mildly, and possibly find a worthy engine mod that would increase my BHP by 100 without giving an arm and a leg for. I don't think it's out there, so I'll stay stock and love driving my 530i.

<rant>
I just stumbled across this LA Times article on the new BMW 5 Series / F10: http://tinyurl.com/yb2a84d

Why the HATE! This isn't news, it's a bias report on the 5 series. I wonder at what point BMW pissed in Dan Niels Wheaties.

- With the 5-series you get everything you want -- except fun.
- The new car has the singular advantage of succeeding the infamous (E60) generation 5-series, which was comprehensively weird-looking, as if it had been styled in a soft-serve ice cream machine.
- Indeed, the engineers have hammered the torque curve so marvelously level, and poured tranquilizing syrup over every gear change, that the car actually feels a little remote and unfamiliar.
- But, honestly, this car has just a dram more Novocain in it than I'd prefer.
- If owners should ever take the 5-series on the track, they'll find them benign, easy, capable, progressive and slightly boring. And numb as a well digger's . . . let's just say numb, OK?
- But still, the steering feel is uncommunicative and artificial and just plain over-assisted.
Do I just misunderstand this writeup, is it just me, or is Dan Niels being pretty bias towards the F10. While he may have some good points I don't believe he speaks to the entire market of BMW drivers. I think it's pretty brave to make so many claims before the car is officially released in the US. I've always hated reporters who will same something positive followed up with something negative, but end his article with wait for the M5 - well duh! So pretty much don't waste your money unless you can afford the M5 is how I interpret it.
</rant>
Old 01-29-2010, 03:50 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Children, Dan Niels is what we like to call a "bag of tools"

Class dismissed.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530i - no mods. Pretty basic really. I mean it has tires, windows, and a sweet look, what more could a man want? Honestly, I'd like to improve the sound system mildly, and possibly find a worthy engine mod that would increase my BHP by 100 without giving an arm and a leg for. I don't think it's out there, so I'll stay stock and love driving my 530i.

Normally I don't keep track of who says what because I normally don't care. However for some reason this writeup really struck a nerve with me. "Bag of tools" somehow seems fitting - thanks for the skewling tech! :-)
Originally Posted by Krozi
Children, Dan Niels is what we like to call a "bag of tools"

Class dismissed.
Old 01-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60

I wonder what car "Bag of tools" drives?
Old 01-29-2010, 09:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

The misuse (and then the copy and paste repeat) of "Dan Niels" suggests you guys have no idea who you're talking about...
Dan Neil remains the only car journalist to have a Pulitzer Prize. He is also a car guy, and generally he tells it like he sees it.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

The review was not all negative. He complemented the car on many levels. I think even the section where he likened the trans to Novicaine or something....I think that's just pure engineering refinement. Maybe he wanted more authoritative shifts. The steptronic has always shifted more elegantly then any other trans I've driven. That's not necessarily a negative comment. The only complaint I have is the statement that the car is not fun. but hey....have I driven one yet? Nope! Maybe he's right?
Old 01-29-2010, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

wonder how many "negative" reviews you can find about/around the time of the e60 debut....
Old 01-30-2010, 07:30 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS
wonder how many "negative" reviews you can find about/around the time of the e60 debut....
True dat!
Old 01-30-2010, 07:31 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Originally Posted by swajames
The misuse (and then the copy and paste repeat) of "Dan Niels" suggests you guys have no idea who you're talking about...
Dan Neil remains the only car journalist to have a Pulitzer Prize. He is also a car guy, and generally he tells it like he sees it.
Didn't the guys from south park also win a Pulitzer?
Enough said...
Old 01-30-2010, 07:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by skelevirus
Didn't the guys from south park also win a Pulitzer?
Enough said...

The answer, rather obviously, is "no" given that the Pulitzer Prize is the most prestigious award in the field of journalism...

Quick Reply: I don't get it... Why the hate? Rant on