F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

F11 For USA?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 10:16 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I am convinced that the F11 isn't coming to the USA, I went to the dealership, ready to give in and buy a 5-series GT instead (i'd much rather have an F10 based car). I was there and was certainly impressed with the car, it it different then what the photos online depict it as. However, one thing the internet does not obscure is the price tag of this car. It is EXPENSIVE. To much for me, for that kind of a car. And that left me wondering what a shame it is that BMW has left us wagon wanters with no real 50k option in the BMW lineup for a usable estate vehicle. I hope BMW sees the error in this and brings the F11 to the USA.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

Originally Posted by Stu3
Does this mean they are taking new orders for US spec E61s or just filling orders for other markets (ie Germany, France, UK etc)?
Speaking for Canada (should be same as US), they are taking orders for NA spec E61s until the end of production.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xiT, 1964 MBZ 220SEb Coupe, 1986 MBZ 300E and a 1997 Jeep Cherokee as my cottage car. Previous rides started with a 1947 Studebaker Commander convertible and included numerous Fords, VWs, MBZs, Saabs and, for added measure, a '61 Buick Special Wagon and Pontiac GTO.

I checked out both the X6 and the GT at the Chicago Auto Show and, for me, neither will fill the void when we no longer have a new BMW 5 wagon here in the US.
Though neither MB and Audi had wagons at the show, I was told that even though very few wagons are sold here, both will continue to offer them. interestingly, the new A6 now has a 3L supercharged engine instead of the previous 3.2. Cadillac did show its new wagon but, from my observation, because of the slope of its rear window ( though not as radical those on the X6 and GT), its cargo area appeared to be smaller than that of my M 61. However, unlike the MB and Audi (and BMW too) with their strange US restrictions, the Caddy can be used to tow a trailer in all the markets where it will be sold. Additionally, at the Volvo display, I was informed that there is a new V70 size wagon in the works.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Members

My Ride: 530xiT Sport with SMG

Shall we create a petition of US residents who wants an F11? Any chance to get enough signatures to make BMW revisit their decision??
Old 02-23-2010, 09:04 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ademitt
Speaking for Canada (should be same as US), they are taking orders for NA spec E61s until the end of production.

I just spoke to Dave at BMW NA and he confirmed that it was not possible to place an order for a US Spec 5 Series Wagon at this time and confirmed that there were no plans to make the F11 available for the US Market.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

The GM at the local dealership confirmed to me that Canadian dealers can order up to April production on a special order basis. I've been speaking to them about an E61 MSport but I would have to move quickly to get it into the production sequence.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ademitt
The GM at the local dealership confirmed to me that Canadian dealers can order up to April production on a special order basis. I've been speaking to them about an E61 MSport but I would have to move quickly to get it into the production sequence.

Interesting indeed....I would have thought that the USA and Canadian markets would operate under the same rules of engagement as they are essentially the same cars (other than maybe the speedometer being different ie km vs miles/hr).

I wonder if you would get the same answer from BMW of Canada re the ability to still order a new car to your exact specs. Maybe the GM you are speaking to is off-base or maybe it was a vehicle they already have an allocation for and it has not been built yet.

Who knows what the truth is at this point. I give up. I may just wait until we PCS back to the USA in Dec 2011 and buy a clean used 2009/2010 model and call it a day. There are some really clean used 2008s available for the high $30Ks to mid $40s. Considering how much those cars cost new, it is sobering to realize the depreciation those buyers have absorbed in 2 model years. I'll bet some of those cars were $60Kish when the original owners drove them off the lot. $20K loss (maybe more when you figure what they traded them for back to the dealer or they came off lease) is a pretty hefty chunk of cash.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Stu3
I wonder if you would get the same answer from BMW of Canada re the ability to still order a new car to your exact specs. Maybe the GM you are speaking to is off-base or maybe it was a vehicle they already have an allocation for and it has not been built yet.

The dealership is quoting me on a new factory order. BMWCA will only accept sold orders and will not allocate a build slot for an E61 to a dealer for inventory purposes. The dealer has one E61 in inventory and one other special order on the boat coming here.

For what it's worth, I have three basic options other than colour and interior: Executive Package (mandatory), MSport (special order) and transmission. I asked for heated rear seats and that is also a special order option.

Total MSRP $77,000 CDN before discounts and cash incentives from BMW. We pay a lot more for our cars here than you would in the US.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 328xi Sports Wagon w/ premium, sound, nav, ipod, manual trans

My $0.02 on this is that BMW hosed themselves. They should have offered the 528 or 530 xDrive Wagon with the aim to get a car that would be 47-50k (depending on options). That's doable. But when I price out even the 535, it's 61k with the options. That's unleaseable. I feel like in the past 14 years of driving BMWs the cost has gone up significantly. The 3-series wagon is useless; too small to make sense.

The X5 was hosed when they eliminated the manual transmission. I had one in manual and loved it. I'd gladly get another if they still offered manual.

They're becoming Audi.

I really hoped to get a 5er wagon, but for $61k, it just doesn't make sense. And the GT's even more expensive. I feel like BMW has priced and tiptroniced me out of their entire line. The 3 series is okay, but it's getting boring, it's small, and for the monthly payment I feel like I should be getting more.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:45 PM
Members

Amen!!!

I could not agree more. BMW, are you reading this??!!!

Quick Reply: F11 For USA?