F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

F11 For USA?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 02:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First Post.

I received an email from BMW USA that basically said no F11 for USA. Why would they do that? According to Wiki, they only sold 900 5 Series Wagons in 2009 which is not a lot. Frankly, I think the reason the sales are/were so low was they only offered the uber expensive 535X. Why will they not offer the wagon with the same engines etc as the sedan? Even if its for "special order" only (ie customers would select the exact options etc for a custom build). That would get the price into the "reasonable range" ie under $50K.

I do not want a GT or an X5. I do not want a 3 series; too small. I want a large, sporty and comfortable wagon. I have owned 3 Volvos in the last 15 years (and one Saab 9-5 Wagon) and I was ready to move up-market to BMW. The new MB Wagon looks overstyled and the interior is a disaster (IMHO).

BMW: What are you thinking???!!!
Old 12-27-2009, 09:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Stu3' post='1080185' date='Dec 27 2009, 12:41 PM
First Post.

I received an email from BMW USA that basically said no F11 for USA. Why would they do that? According to Wiki, they only sold 900 5 Series Wagons in 2009 which is not a lot. Frankly, I think the reason the sales are/were so low was they only offered the uber expensive 535X. Why will they not offer the wagon with the same engines etc as the sedan? Even if its for "special order" only (ie customers would select the exact options etc for a custom build). That would get the price into the "reasonable range" ie under $50K.

I do not want a GT or an X5. I do not want a 3 series; too small. I want a large, sporty and comfortable wagon. I have owned 3 Volvos in the last 15 years (and one Saab 9-5 Wagon) and I was ready to move up-market to BMW. The new MB Wagon looks overstyled and the interior is a disaster (IMHO).

sounds really weird - i am totally with you. and in this respect apparently lucky I am not in the US but hey, think about this in a different way - if you import your F11 from Canada or even Europe, you will be pretty much unique on the road :-)
Old 12-27-2009, 08:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mmitev' post='1080261' date='Dec 27 2009, 02:33 PM
sounds really weird - i am totally with you. and in this respect apparently lucky I am not in the US but hey, think about this in a different way - if you import your F11 from Canada or even Europe, you will be pretty much unique on the road :-)

If BMW USA does not have a US F11, I wonder if they will leave Canada out of the equation as well. Importing a Canadian spec car to the US is possible (I think). Legally importing a Euro spec car can be VERY difficult (nearly impossible). More red tape than its worth and some of the mechanical changes required make it cost prohibitive.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:17 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Black on Black 530xi. NAV, Prem, Cold weath...

yeah they said that the GT is replacing the f11 for the US. I say go for the X6! awesome car/suv/wagon/crossover LOL and I agree with you on the mb being over styled and the interior is really bad quality!!! The plastics feel like a chevy in them.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:07 PM
Members

We just ordered a 2010 535ixT to replace the 2007 wagon. Did so now for incentives and because it sounded more and more like there wasn't going to be an F11 in the US.

The sales guy gave me some story about that they sold all the wagons they could get (and diesels too for that matter) but that simply they didn't get enough of them. Weren't allocated enough production.

I'm beginning to think it is less to do with what the US market actually wants and more to do with what BMW NA thinks they (we) want. SUVs, cross overs, etc. Perhaps they have some stake in the US operations in SC. But Audi, Volkswagon and especially Volvo all sell good numbers of wagons. Even Cadillac is not only building one (CTS) but has even had network TV commercials for them.

Anyways, I asked the sales guy for a name/address to write a letter. He apparently passed it up the food chain, but came back with nothing better than the national headquarters boilerplate:
Chairman and CEO: Jim O'Donnell BMW of NA 300 Chestnut Ridge Road, Woodcliff Lake, NJ 07677

Looks like this 2010 wagon will be last BMW we buy. Perhaps the last gasoline car for that matter. The 5GT (otherwise known as the "7 hatchback") might have the latest cool toys, but is too heavy and the hatch too complicated. And we can't stand the SUVs/Crossovers. Weight and MPG penalties without any corresponding increase in versatility or practicality. The 5 wagon is just about right. Our dream car would be 535d, 5 wagon versatility and handling and >30 mpg. Oh well.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by mfel' post='1080801' date='Dec 28 2009, 05:07 PM
We just ordered a 2010 535ixT to replace the 2007 wagon. Did so now for incentives and because it sounded more and more like there wasn't going to be an F11 in the US.
Yup I was in the same boat... As soon as I read that we may not get the next gen 5 wagon, I ordered our car. We did European Delivery, and just had the car re-delivered to us before Christmas.

The E61 is such a wonderful car in so many ways. We rode in the 5GT in Europe; it is nice, but we still prefer our wagon. It looks like we'll have to keep our E61 a long time, as BMW may not be interested in offering what their loyal customers want!
Old 12-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Stu3' post='1080185' date='Dec 27 2009, 06:41 AM
Agreed!!!

This is terrible news as I was planning on buying an F11 to replace my E61. I have NO interest in the 5GT with its trendy styling, lack of all wheel drive and reduced cargo area.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:19 AM
Members

correction.....wiki says they only sold 400 5 series wagons in the USA.....
Old 12-31-2009, 07:24 AM
Members

My Ride: 530xiT Sport with SMG

Originally Posted by Stu3' post='1082316' date='Dec 31 2009, 08:19 AM
correction.....wiki says they only sold 400 5 series wagons in the USA.....
Do they count EDs in that? Lots of us got E61s that way...

Ditto on BMW's mistake if they carry out this decision. I don't think E61 fans will go for the GT. They'll loose them to MB & Audi... :-(
Old 01-01-2010, 05:21 AM
Contributors

I was having such a great day until I read this post. I can't believe BMW would do this to us... There is the pursuit of money on one hand, but BMW should also aim to please their customers, especially the loyal 5-Series touring crowd. Ok time for me to take a break and grab a coffee and think about my car buying plans now

Quick Reply: F11 For USA?