F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

F10 worldwide sales - still lagging behind the new E-Class

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 08:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petes550i
By that logic, I guess Ford then is a better product than Porsche because it sells millions of more vehicles.

You seem to be far from economy and marketing, Pete. That's why I said "COMPETING products". If you regard Ford as Porsche's competitor then I feel pity for you. In this case the 5 Series and E-Class are competitors because they have about the same price and the same functionality. So the sales numbers do tell a lot about which is better. I'm sure that after some time the 5 Series will be the absolute leader in its segment in terms of sales.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:03 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by sdg1871
I agree. There are a huge number of factors that drive sales volume. Quality of product is only one of them. To state that there is a direct relationship between quality of product and sales volume is to oversimplify things greatly.
There's a direct relationship between quality and sales numbers if we compare COMPETITORS. If you also consider Ford a competitor to Porsche then nothing remains but to feel pity for you as well.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pharding
One of my best friends, currently driving an MB E-Class, after riding with me and driving my F10 550i, has decided to get a 2011 535. He said that the F10 is substantially better and more sporty than his E-Class. Plus it is a better value.
One more testimony to the 5 Series superiority.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by BabkenBMW
There's a direct relationship between quality and sales numbers if we compare COMPETITORS. If you also consider Ford a competitor to Porsche then nothing remains but to feel pity for you as well.

It's not that simple, Babken. There are other factors that play a role as well. I think you're equating popularity with quality which is naive. (and if this is the way you think, I pity you, too ) Just because product A is more popular than product B doesn't mean product A is automatically a higher quality product. Inventory, distribution, existing market share, etc. all play a role in sales figures.

Ok, so Ford vs. Porsche is a bad example. How about Lexus RX350 vs. BMW X5. These are true competitors. The RX sells in much higher quantities than the X5....so does that mean the BMW is an inferior product to the Lexus? Hell no! You could make the same argument for the X5 vs. Porsche Cayenne.

As I mentioned earlier in other threads, to judge the F10 now, only 3 months into its life cycle, is plain SILLY. Sales figures mean very little as this stage. This is like judging a baseball team (with a historically high winning percentage) only 3 weeks into the baseball season. How silly is that?
Old 10-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

It's not that simple, Babken. There are other factors that play a role as well. I think you're equating popularity with quality which is naive. (and if this is the way you think, I pity you, too ) Just because product A is more popular than product B doesn't mean product A is automatically a higher quality product. Inventory, distribution, existing market share, etc. all play a role in sales figures.
Exactly, other factors driving sales volume other than quality include pricing, advertising and marketing, incentives, brand image, styling, prestige, reputation, awareness of the product in the market/top of mind awareness and so much more.

But then again, what the heck do I know? BabkenBMW apparently pities those who disagree with him. So I suppose I am to be pitied. Poor poor me.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:15 AM
Banned

Ok, so Ford vs. Porsche is a bad example. How about Lexus RX350 vs. BMW X5. These are true competitors. The RX sells in much higher quantities than the X5....so does that mean the BMW is an inferior product to the Lexus? Hell no! You could make the same argument for the X5 vs. Porsche Cayenne.

As I mentioned earlier in other threads, to judge the F10 now, only 3 months into its life cycle, is plain SILLY. Sales figures mean very little as this stage. This is like judging a baseball team (with a historically high winning percentage) only 3 weeks into the baseball season. How silly is that?
Pete,

Again, you make the same mistake. Please don't have such disrespect for BMW X5 by lowering it to the Lexus RX level, because they're not competitors either. The RX costs USD37000-39000 while the X5 costs USD46000-58000. I repeat: in order to be competitors the products should have the same functionality (properties) and be priced about the same.
As for the F10, I haven't ever neglect such circumstances as the initial life-cycle period. And I repeat one more thing: if one competitor beats the other in terms of sales given all the other conditions equal which is the case between BMW and Mercedes-Benz, than, yes, it's better.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

This is still retarded cuz youre comparing a class of car that offers a 2 door as well?! Do u not realize that bro? Why not lump the 6 series figures in there to make it fair.
Seriously stupid IMO
Old 10-12-2010, 10:13 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by BabkenBMW
Pete,

Again, you make the same mistake. Please don't have such disrespect for BMW X5 by lowering it to the Lexus RX level, because they're not competitors either. The RX costs USD37000-39000 while the X5 costs USD46000-58000. I repeat: in order to be competitors the products should have the same functionality (properties) and be priced about the same.
As for the F10, I haven't ever neglect such circumstances as the initial life-cycle period. And I repeat one more thing: if one competitor beats the other in terms of sales given all the other conditions equal which is the case between BMW and Mercedes-Benz, than, yes, it's better.

You're the one making mistakes, my little friend. Of course the RX350 is a competitor to the X5. They are BOTH mid-size luxury SUV's. The main reason why the X5 exists in the first place is because back in 2000, BMW decided they needed a competitor to the wildly successful RX300 which was launched in 1998. I think you need to research your cars a little better.

BTW, price difference isn't that great a factor in determining which car is a rival or not. As an example, the Acura TSX/TL and Infiniti G37 are considered rivals to the 3 series yet they cost $6K-$10K+ less.

As for your continual assessment that popularity equals quality, again it's flawed. You keep saying if all other conditions being the same.....well it's NOT the same. The current E-Class came out more than a year BEFORE before the F10 was launched. The E-class also comes in sedan, AWD, AMG, coupe, convertible, wagon, and diesel. The F10 only comes in sedan and AWD which is only now available. As a result, there is no way you can compare the 2 cars in terms of sales at this point in time....because it's MEANINGLESS!
Old 10-12-2010, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

wonder what would happen if no one contributed/posted in threads like this..
Old 10-13-2010, 08:51 AM
Banned

You're the one making mistakes, my little friend. Of course the RX350 is a competitor to the X5. They are BOTH mid-size luxury SUV's. The main reason why the X5 exists in the first place is because back in 2000, BMW decided they needed a competitor to the wildly successful RX300 which was launched in 1998. I think you need to research your cars a little better.

BTW, price difference isn't that great a factor in determining which car is a rival or not. As an example, the Acura TSX/TL and Infiniti G37 are considered rivals to the 3 series yet they cost $6K-$10K+ less.

As for your continual assessment that popularity equals quality, again it's flawed. You keep saying if all other conditions being the same.....well it's NOT the same. The current E-Class came out more than a year BEFORE before the F10 was launched. The E-class also comes in sedan, AWD, AMG, coupe, convertible, wagon, and diesel. The F10 only comes in sedan and AWD which is only now available. As a result, there is no way you can compare the 2 cars in terms of sales at this point in time....because it's MEANINGLESS!
Your poor comment once again proves which of us should research cars. BMW 3 Series is priced about USD33000-50000 (excluding the convertible), Infinity G USD33000-46000, Acura TL USD35000-43000. So where is your difference of $6K-$10K? As for the Acura TCX, it isn't even in this league. It's an upscale small car.
As for the 5 Series vs E-Class competition, can you point out to any of my comments where I said that I compare the whole E-Class line-up sales with the F10 sedan? You won't be able to find such a message. Instead I compare the sedan versions. And the E-Class beats the 5 Series, though I expect to see other kind of results soon.
Next time before making a statement, Pete, think about it.

Quick Reply: F10 worldwide sales - still lagging behind the new E-Class