F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

The F10 is less sporty than the E60 because.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 550isport
I'd say it's because BMW has gauged the competition well. Taking into account advances in engineering, the E class and A6 are no sportier now than 8 years ago. BMW has simply repositioned the new 5 closer to a 7 than a 3. It's a wise move for a number of reasons. 1) its cheaper to make a heavier car. Whereas the E60 used a bonded aluminum front end, the F10 uses a heavier and less expensive alternative construction carried over from the 7. 2) with the global recession, some would-be 7 buyers might be inclined to go downscale and get a less expensive 5 (which happens to be the same size inside as an E38 7 series, but weighs a tad more).

BMW did the smart thing for their board of directors. The only people who got shafted were people like me who loved their E60s for being very nimble and sporty for such a large car. I suspect a great number of people, myself included, would have rather seen a new 5 that was no larger, lighter and used technology and engineering to produce as much performance from less overall power - and thus greater economy. A 3700 lb. 3.7 turbo V8 would have done the job nicely. But that would be a very expensive car to design and produce and would not be as appealing as the F10 to a great number of F10-style buyers - I'm guessing.

My solution for not liking the directionBMW took with the F10: Don't buy one....I didn't/won't . I'd probably get a 740i before an F10. If you're going to go big...go all the way

DRP
Yes, because BMW gauged the market well which prefers a 5 that is more luxurious but yet sporty. Your reasons 1 and 2, and go bigger means go all the way are off the mark, way off. For you, just get the lighter F30 if it suits you.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pukka
Sorry man, but you got it wrong. North America is probably the ONLY place where bigger is preferred. I've spent quite a few years living in Asia and Europe and SMALLER is the choice by far. Global demand wants smaller, cheaper, and more practical cars because of traffic, roads, and affordability. Even the cost of a 1er is out of reach for many - and there are very few countries that let you lease.
You're mistaken ie what you said is over-generalising and is incorrect.
Old 10-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 523iA, 2006, Silver Grey, Black Leatherette Interior, Fine-Wood Trim Poplar Grain Brown High-Gloss, 6 Speed Automatic Transmission with Steptronic, Automatic Air Conditioning with Extended Content, Interior and Exterior Mirrors with Automatic Anti-Dazzle Function (Incl. Folding Function for Exterior Mirror), Electric Front Seats with Memory for Driver, Multi-Function Steering Wheel with Cruise Control, Adjustable Steering Column, BMW Radio with 8 Speakers and CD Drive, Park Distance Control, Universal Bluetooth Cell Phone, Electric Rear Sunblind

Originally Posted by bm323
Yes, because BMW gauged the market well which prefers a 5 that is more luxurious but yet sporty. Your reasons 1 and 2, and go bigger means go all the way are off the mark, way off. For you, just get the lighter F30 if it suits you.
I will assume that what you say is correct and that BMW correctly gauged the market "well" and came up with the conclusion that the market prefers a more luxurious large executive saloon. However, this is not the same as assuming that the market prefers a bigger and more luxurious 5 series because the bigger luxurious saloon can be an MB, Audi, or Jag, etc. The reason BMW sold their cars wasn't because they were more luxurious than competitors.

In the Middle East region, Mercedes Benz is known to be the more reliable car, with lower running costs, and better residual values. In Germany, Audi is known to have the best quality and the best residual values. Every person who bought a BMW that I know has bought it for its superior dynamic performance and handling attributes while being "acceptable" in all the other fields.

Once the dynamic performance gap between BMW and its competitors has decreased to the current extent (while I believe that the F10 is still better than its competitors, and I hope I am correct in this assumption), buyers may start looking to sacrifice this minor dynamic advantage for the competitors luxury or quality or residual values or whatever else is attractive for them in the competitors cars. They even might keep their current BMWs or buy the lighter F30 as you mentioned above. I am currently in this buyers' situation.

Just my thoughts. Time will tell.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:50 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Shebs
I will assume that what you say is correct and that BMW correctly gauged the market "well" and came up with the conclusion that the market prefers a more luxurious large executive saloon. However, this is not the same as assuming that the market prefers a bigger and more luxurious 5 series because the bigger luxurious saloon can be an MB, Audi, or Jag, etc. The reason BMW sold their cars wasn't because they were more luxurious than competitors.
Some say that having luxury means it's not sporty; this is the mistake check out the forummers who are criticizing the F10, and see whether most have E60s 2008-2010 Yes, time will tell.