F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

The F10 is less sporty than the E60 because.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by Petes550i
...and obviously you know this because.....?

Have you ever sat in a fully-loaded F10?....It's every bit as luxurious as the 7, not to mention closely resembling it. You can get almost as many options in the F10 as in the 7.
No I haven't - but if I wanted something that was every bit as luxurious as, and closely resembled a 7...........I'd buy a 7! ESPECIALLY IF COST WAS NOT AN ISSUE, in fact its almost moot since a fully loaded F10 puts you in 7er territory. I simply find it very hard to believe that global demand suggests otherwise.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by pukka
No I haven't - but if I wanted something that was every bit as luxurious as, and closely resembled a 7...........I'd buy a 7! ESPECIALLY IF COST WAS NOT AN ISSUE, in fact its almost moot since a fully loaded F10 puts you in 7er territory. I simply find it very hard to believe that global demand suggests otherwise.

Well that's your opinion and I disagree...besides, there are people who maybe don't want the size of a 7 but want most of the luxury and features. Have you thought about that? We can debate about luxury 'til you're blue in the face, but going back to the original point of this thread, do you think that BMW designed the F10 to be what it is now just for the hell of it? BMW did their research in designing the F10. This is what the people wanted in their next 5 series. You may not agree but you can't please everybody with every new model.....and according to BMW, this is what their demographic wanted. Now time will tell if they hit the mark. It's way too soon to judge right now.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 550i sport; Sapphire Black/Auburn; sport package; steptronic; navigation with R.T.T.I.; heads up; cold weather package; Logic-7; BMW MOST ipod kit; Motorola V3 snap-in adapter; rear heated seats and rear shades; anthracite headliner; sirrius sat. radio; M-aero kit; OEM style 166 Wheels with 245/35-19 front and 285/30-19 rear Michelin PS2s.

Lively bunch we've got here!

I think it was Pete who said BMW is giving the buyer what they want. And I agree, its just that I don't want a car designed for everyone.

Every great product, whether its a bottle of Dom Perignon, a Valentino runway gown, a Jackson Pollack painting, or a Porsche sports car became famous and thus expensive and sought after because other people wanted it AFTER it was produced by bold and trendsetting pioneers who likely didn't give a f%#k about what others thought of their creations initially. You're buying a philosophy; a statement. And the latest 5 series does not make the statement that you sacrificed some comfort for performance. They used to - and that is what made them cool, gave them character.

DRP
Old 10-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 550isport
Lively bunch we've got here!

I think it was Pete who said BMW is giving the buyer what they want. And I agree, its just that I don't want a car designed for everyone.

Every great product, whether its a bottle of Dom Perignon, a Valentino runway gown, a Jackson Pollack painting, or a Porsche sports car became famous and thus expensive and sought after because other people wanted it AFTER it was produced by bold and trendsetting pioneers who likely didn't give a f%#k about what others thought of their creations initially. You're buying a philosophy; a statement. And the latest 5 series does not make the statement that you sacrificed some comfort for performance. They used to - and that is what made them cool, gave them character.

DRP
Totally agree with that. On the one hand, if BMW keeps losing comparos in car magazines to Audi they are really going to have to do some soul searching if they want to retain the brand image that got them so many obsessed fans. I think that once they decided to build the newest 5 off of the incredible F01 platform, they cast their lot in stone with respect to the weight issue. The steering complaints I'm sure they'll straighten out, and the engine selections from BMW are still supreme, but unless they start building the chassis out of carbon fiber, that weight is here to stay.

That said, across the entire brand I think they're doing quite well maintaining their lead in the "sport" aspect of the sport sedan brand image sweepstakes. People slobber over the M3 and the 3-series generally. I don't hear much about the A4, and when people talk about the A/S5, they're generally talking about how great it looks, not how it drives. The F01 is seen as the king of the large luxury sport sedan in most everything I've read - even over the new A8 - because of its sportiness, not its luxury content. The new 760i looks like an amazing machine.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by 550isport

Who was the E60 designed for?....Michael Schumacher?

All kidding aside, I don't put the 5 series...whether it's an E60 or a F10....in the same company of a Dom Perignon, a Valentino or a 911 Porsche.....that's silly. The 5 series is not some niche, statement-making product......it's the 2nd most popular car in BMW's lineup.....a mass-produced but well-egineered car at that.
Old 10-21-2010, 07:41 AM
Banned

Guys, you're talking nonsense. The F10 is better than the e60 in any respect.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:39 AM
Members

Sorry man, but you got it wrong. North America is probably the ONLY place where bigger is preferred. I've spent quite a few years living in Asia and Europe and SMALLER is the choice by far. Global demand wants smaller, cheaper, and more practical cars because of traffic, roads, and affordability. Even the cost of a 1er is out of reach for many - and there are very few countries that let you lease.
You're mistaken here.

Old 10-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by bm323
You're mistaken here.
Do tell.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:17 PM
Senior Members

Do tell.
China is the only market in the world with a 5iL and will soon have a 3iL.

Why? These cars are not being sold to the Chinese and Indian masses (Tata does that). These cars are being sold to the new elite. And more often than not, the owner is sitting in the back seat. Visit these places and you'll understand very quickly. You may love cars, but you'd never drive one (any one) in China or India.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:34 PM
Members

Well, the 5 is still smaller than a 7. You may buy a 7 but it does not mean that many would buy a 7 just because cost is not an issue.

Quick Reply: The F10 is less sporty than the E60 because.....