F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

Electric Power Steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 E61 530D - Dynamic Drive - Active Front Steering Sport Seats - Voice Control - Head Up Display - Nav Pro - Bluetooth - Panoramic roof - Front/rear heated seats

Nicely detailed article on the basics of EPS and its influence on handling etc.:

BMW Blog EPS article
Old 03-09-2011, 12:15 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oakley sunglasses
oakley sunglasses outlet
monster headphones
peak shoes
Old 03-09-2011, 01:05 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Thanks for sharing! Interesting read!

If you don't mind, I'll try to make it look like I know what I'm talking about here

In Paraxial/ZF Servoelectric EPS, which is described as the best option for steering feel, the post states:
The assist unit is mounted in parallel to the end of the rack away from the pinion and provides assist through a toothed belt and a recirculating ball gear
I'm curious if that "toothed belt" is a part that will be prone to failure. I'm just not a big fan of toothed belt drives in anything...

Belt:

I can't even begin to imagine the costs of replacing this belt out of warranty. I'd also imagine, it failing would cause the servomotor to malfunction and could domino several components along with it. Am I way off base here?

Closer to the conclusion, where the post states:

So there?s reason to hope that an electric rack drive assist can deliver good steering feel. But there is a lot of tuning involved. Remember that hydraulically assisted steering racks used a valve setup to regulate the amount of assist. In an electrically assisted steering rack that is accomplished with software. A lot of software. And a lot of parameters which can be changed in that software.
It made me wonder at first - why would it be so hard to find the optimal settings, when you have computers that can calculate all possible variants and select an optimal setting? Or at least, find several optimal settings that would work best. Well, in the next paragraph, it is mentioned that there are over 500 different variables to adjust - the sheer number of adjustments would take a very long time, even if you run it through the computer. But the worst part - steering "feel" is not something, that can be programmed into a computer to understand, not the way an experienced driver would. So, it seems, it will be a while, unless someone gets really lucky.