F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

C&D Tests F10 550i Auto & Manual....

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 09:27 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

No, I'm only against you Bimmer32

Seriously, just exercising my 1st amendment rights on a public forum like everyone else.

If someone wants to talk smack, I have every right to respond. Am I not allowed to express my own opinion?

So, if someone says the F10 sucks and I disagree, my response is somehow less valid and I'm the bad guy for responding to the guy that's flaming? Give me a fuckin break!

If you don't like what I have to post, don't fuckin read it and respond to it.

I'm being accused of taking things too personal but from the responses I'm reading lately, some of you guys are just as guilty of doing the same.

BTW pharding, I've never directed anything derogatory or malicious towards you. (Where do you get that impression?) I was only curious as to why you chose the F10 even though it seems you didn't like the steering and handling....two things which I consider crucial in selecting a car.
Old 09-28-2010, 02:21 AM
Members

Ever wondered why different reviewers have different views?

Quote "Body motions are well controlled, the car never pitching much in corners, with plenty of grip on tap. Steering is more responsive and linear than in the outgoing 5. The ride quality is firm, but never harsh -- can't wait for the next M5 that'll be based on this chassis architecture!"

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz10ome34y0
Old 09-28-2010, 03:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Originally Posted by Petes550i
BTW pharding, I've never directed anything derogatory or malicious towards you. (Where do you get that impression?) I was only curious as to why you chose the F10 even though it seems you didn't like the steering and handling....two things which I consider crucial in selecting a car.
How about asking it that way, which you did not! :thumbsdown: Instead you post a response clearly aimed at phrading about how you can't believe someone would buy a $75k car without test driving it first about all the hours you spent test driving it...
Old 09-28-2010, 05:08 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by kscarrol
How about asking it that way, which you did not! :thumbsdown: Instead you post a response clearly aimed at phrading about how you can't believe someone would buy a $75k car without test driving it first about all the hours you spent test driving it...

Yeah, you're right....I should have rephrased it. But like I said, there was no malicious intent.

It's just that, in my opinion, things like steering feel and handling are something which shows up pretty clearly during a test-drive...and at least for me anyways, would be a deal-breaker if they were anything less than what I'd hoped.

BTW, I get shit thrown at me here all the time....guys telling me I drive a "bloated boat," etc, etc. but apart from me, nobody around here it seems has the balls to respond and defend what they believe. (and this is in a F10 forum!). If I went to the E60 boards and talked smack about the E60, what type of reception do you think I'd get from those lovely people?
Old 09-28-2010, 05:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E90 M3
Model Year: 2011

Yeah, you're right....I should have rephrased it. But like I said, there was no malicious intent.

It's just that, in my opinion, things like steering feel and handling are something which shows up pretty clearly during a test-drive...and at least for me anyways, would be a deal-breaker if they were anything less than what I'd hoped.

BTW, I get shit thrown at me here all the time....guys telling me I drive a "bloated boat," etc, etc. but apart from me, nobody around here it seems has the balls to respond and defend what they believe. (and this is in a F10 forum!). If I went to the E60 boards and talked smack about the E60, what type of reception do you think I'd get from those lovely people?
Right, but as Gene pointed out pharding ordered the car before they were available for the extensive test driving you did.

As for this being an F10 forum, you need to keep in mind 5series.net started out as E60.net so most of us old timers are E60 folks. And that certainly accounts for some of the criticism of the F10 around here.

But as we have pointed out multiple times, you should not be so sensitive about others comments on the car. We have beaten this horse many times but the "feel" of the steering and suspension is highly subjective. So when someone offers a comment that they don't care for something about the F10 that you may like, simply realize that everyone is entitled to their opinion. At one point you accused some old E60 drivers of being the gestapo while in fact you have become the gestapo for the F10. Anyone who expresses an opinion that differs from yours is immediately pounced on. Let others have their views. You have yours. And to be honest, very few of those dissenting opinions are "haters". They mostly seem to along the lines of pharding, that the F10 is a great car but there are things they would like to see done a bit differently. Looking beyond the anti-Bangle folks when the E60 was introduced, there were plenty of things we owners picked on as things we'd like see done differently...

Enjoy the 550, it is a beautiful car!!
Old 09-28-2010, 09:34 AM
Banned

Link:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

I can hear the stampede of the haters now....

Seriously, what's not surprising is C&D pretty much says the same thing they did with the last F10 (535i) they tested.....that is, they liked the luxury and amenities but not the steering. Personally, I don't see what's wrong with the steering...to me it feels linear, precise and responsive.

What is a little bit surprising is that they clocked the 550i auto quicker (0-60 in 4.8sec) than the manual (0-60 in 5.1 sec). I wonder if they tested the auto in Sport or Sport+ mode because it wasn't mentioned in the article.

In any case, I wouldn't read too much into one test. Like I mentioned in previous threads, there are so many variables that factor into these tests....road condition, weather condition, car condition, driver skill, etc. and not everybody uses the same type of testing equipment or even the same methods. It's good for some general information but the best test is always the one that you conduct yourself (i.e. test drive).
Listen, Pete,
Why are you taking criticism so seriously? I'm sure that the 550i is the only perfect automobile in its class. But there are people who would argue with me either. That's why other automakers exist either. If you love your car, then drive and enjoy it (I'm sure you do). There are many people who express opinions without even having seen the new F10, so don't take them seriously.
Just calm down and feel a king in the 5 Series as it always was and will always be. I drive a 1997 523i and I feel a king as well. Any 5 Series is a BEAST.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:40 AM
Senior Members

Take what seriously?

We're just a bunch of guys here talking meaningless crap about cars, right?

Funny, you guys accuse me of taking stuff too seriously, but then you take my responses way too seriously in return......we can play these games all week!

Seriously, I don't have a problem with differing opinions, that's all fine and dandy....but if I read a post that I feel is deliberately flaming or condescending, I have the right to respond if I choose to do so.
Old 09-28-2010, 12:10 PM
Members

If you don't like what I have to post, don't ***** read it and respond to it.
Not responding is easy -(except on this occasion) lots of people read these only 3 or 4 respond
Not reading is a bit harder - I come on here for facts rather than opinion, if i want to watch people argue and taunt each other like kids I don't need a computer.
NowI've got my car and the research phase is over I hope you enjoy your right to take advantage of whatever Amendments you want to.
Me I'm out of here. Thanks to all those who have helped - to those whose posts have got in the way of this (and you know who you are) good luck in your search for whatever it is you're looking for
Old 09-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Members

My Ride: Just gone-520d m sport- Jet Black- Dakota Leather black- AluCube interior, On order- F10 520d SE-Titanium Silver

This is getting boring. This forum used to be informative and thought provoking. Lately these bitch-posts have become so monotonous. Subjective this, just my opinion that- grow up. I'm amazed how people displaying this type of behaviour have gotten themselves into a position where they can afford an F10. I know eveyone is entitled to their opinion but I think we've had everyones opinion at this stage. Now, anyone have any thoughts on Titanium silver with shadowline?
Old 09-28-2010, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by BRAD
Now, anyone have any thoughts on Titanium silver with shadowline?
yes, get the TS + shadowline...

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showpost...6&postcount=11

Quick Reply: C&D Tests F10 550i Auto & Manual....