F10 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the F10 5 Series. The F10 made it's debut in 2010 as a MY2011.

C&D Tests F10 550i Auto & Manual....

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Link:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...take_road_test

I can hear the stampede of the haters now....

Seriously, what's not surprising is C&D pretty much says the same thing they did with the last F10 (535i) they tested.....that is, they liked the luxury and amenities but not the steering. Personally, I don't see what's wrong with the steering...to me it feels linear, precise and responsive.

What is a little bit surprising is that they clocked the 550i auto quicker (0-60 in 4.8sec) than the manual (0-60 in 5.1 sec). I wonder if they tested the auto in Sport or Sport+ mode because it wasn't mentioned in the article.

In any case, I wouldn't read too much into one test. Like I mentioned in previous threads, there are so many variables that factor into these tests....road condition, weather condition, car condition, driver skill, etc. and not everybody uses the same type of testing equipment or even the same methods. It's good for some general information but the best test is always the one that you conduct yourself (i.e. test drive).
Old 09-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

like we've said pete...steering is very subjective....

not surprised the 8 speed auto performed better than the manual tho.....

thanx for sharing...
Old 09-25-2010, 04:00 PM
Contributors

0-60 is almost as fast as E60 M5...F10 M5 0-60 must be at least 3.9 secs
Old 09-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Autos normally tend to test faster than manuals, people simply can't shift anywhere nearly as quickly or as reliably as a modern automatic. For the E60, we had a couple of very dedicated members who recorded the fastest 0-60 times ever seen for the 545 and they both got those times with the auto. The ZF boxes that BMW puts in these cars is first rate. One might claim a manual is more involving, but there's absolutely no question that the automatics (whether traditional or double clutch) are much faster.

Turning to the review itself, there's not much in there we've haven't seen before. It's generally a positive review, they clearly do like the car. The things they point out - both positive and negative - are broadly the same as in other reviews.
Old 09-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Members

Given the first F10 reviews I actually thought it was pretty good. For the first time we note a reviewer talking about 'getting used' to the steering. You've basically got a car that's a little bit bigger, heavier, and at the same time faster than the E60, corners as well or better, gives you the option of a comfortable ride in addition to sporty ride, ..... not seeing a downside.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Banned

This is not the first time such comment has been made about BMW. I've never read a review like "The 550i can?t hold a candle to the fine feel provided by the tiller in the Audi A6", and it's a slap at BMW's face. Like I said before the electric power steering is an absolute disgrace for BMW. BMW, please get rid of that shame called electric power steering.
Old 09-26-2010, 07:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i; Dark Graphite Metalliic/Oyster, 4.4 TT V8, 8-sp AT, Sports Package, Dynamic Handling, Premium Package 2, Cold Weather Package, HUD

Originally Posted by BabkenBMW
This is not the first time such comment has been made about BMW. I've never read a review like "The 550i can?t hold a candle to the fine feel provided by the tiller in the Audi A6", and it's a slap at BMW's face. Like I said before the electric power steering is an absolute disgrace for BMW. BMW, please get rid of that shame called electric power steering.
Steering feel is subjective. I prefer the electric one over the excessively boosted feel of the IAS.

Besides, you're a well-known F10 hater around these parts and you're never going to get one so why do you care?
Old 09-27-2010, 04:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 11 550i Sophisto Gray/Oyster Black/Anthracite, Sprt Trns, DHP, IAS, SP, PP1, PP2, CWP, HUD, DAP, AVSP, SF RS, CA, ACC - Euro Del

Many of us have been saying that the F10 is a great car but the steering is inferior to that of the E60. It is not precise and is a bit sloppy when going straight. With Adaptive Drive is feels too heavy in Sport+ compared to my 2008 550i M-Sport. The feel of the car with Adaptive Drive in terms of the suspension is a tad disappointing compared to my 2008 550i M-Sport which has the Sport Suspension. My F10 550i is a great car however BMW has work to do on both the steering and suspension. Undoubtedly both will be fixed shortly.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:53 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pharding
Many of us have been saying that the F10 is a great car but the steering is inferior to that of the E60. It is not precise and is a bit sloppy when going straight. With Adaptive Drive is feels too heavy in Sport+ compared to my 2008 550i M-Sport. The feel of the car with Adaptive Drive in terms of the suspension is a tad disappointing compared to my 2008 550i M-Sport which has the Sport Suspension. My F10 550i is a great car however BMW has work to do on both the steering and suspension. Undoubtedly both will be fixed shortly.
No offense pharding but it seems to me that you're not totally happy with your F10. (From your post, it actually seems more negative than positive). Did you thoroughly test-drive your car prior to delivery? Personally, I would never fork over $70K+ on a car if I wasn't 100% satisifed with every aspect of the vehicle. Things like steering and suspension, which you are critical, is a very important part of the overall driving experience....if this was a problem for me, I would never even consider a F10.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:16 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by Petes550i
No offense pharding but it seems to me that you're not totally happy with your F10. (From your post, it actually seems more negative than positive). Did you thoroughly test-drive your car prior to delivery? Personally, I would never fork over $70K+ on a car if I wasn't 100% satisifed with every aspect of the vehicle. Things like steering and suspension, which you are critical, is a very important part of the overall driving experience....if this was a problem for me, I would never even consider a F10.
is it that hard to believe someone could be honest/unbiased about their purchase?

thank you pharding for providing some honest insight regarding your f10....

Quick Reply: C&D Tests F10 550i Auto & Manual....